Anyone use a tongue dolly/ Trailer Valet or similar device?

Travis, in your situation I would consider putting a 4 or 5 ft wide rear door in the center of the wall, and put down packed gravel or a concrete pad behind it. Back the trailer up the hill, park it, connect your motive power to the hitch and drag it straight into the storage bay. Disconnect and drive the machine out the back. Super easy, Your idea of dragging it straight in would be fine. No maneuvering and when you move the trailer back out it is perfectly aligned and ready to hook up to your truck.

I don’t think you would need an ATV for this method on flat pavement, but maybe you would if you needed to drag it up the slope. If you install this $270 tongue jack, you could leave the jack down when towing into the bay. The two castering wheels will let the tongue steer easily. You might even be able to use a larger riding mower, but it might be hard on the belt drive. Overland has one on his Ollie, shoot him a PM.

2FD77931-9778-4C7D-81D0-2DE8FDD3B34A.jpeg.b973cd376437038560458443174ccac2.jpeg

72AD3528-F1CB-40BE-9E72-77C5FFFF5677.thumb.jpeg.01df84c46fab71ba1a8346e52570bf2e.jpeg

https://www.arkportablepower.com/pages/xo-trailer-jack

You could have a quick detach tow bar made at a welding shop, or buy an actual aircraft one, to attach to the jack’s wheel bracket with a simple lunette  style tow ring at the other end. Like towing an airplane. .... NO tongue weight at all on the tow vehicle, and the jack’s wheels will pivot to exactly follow the TV.

D4EC07D6-D8A1-4405-9165-1EA670BE0640.jpeg.7f72b18d483a5a176c9efda5bc7cd94e.jpeg

None of this will be cheap.....I used to live in a house with a double front garage door and a single rear garage door and that was super useful, since I had a concrete pad there large enough for a truck to park out of sight from the street. Good luck. Nice house.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• 1 year later...

I recently bought a Ollie EII.  As delivered and loaded it weighs about 6200lb.  I also bought a Trax6000 to move it around back of the garage on concrete with a rain slope only.  I've  been using the Trax on the Ollie for about a month now and it will do the job, however, the Trax is just about maxed out.  To handle the much larger momentum of the triler I've learned that the light weight Trax has to move slowly and be sure to use the brake .  Sometimes when trying to turn the trailer too sharply the resistance of the tandem axel to turns is too much for the Trax and it will have a tendency to tip sideways. Just don't take too big a bite at once and your OK. GO SLOW!!  I installed the longer handle and that made the system more manageable when trying to redirect the trailer. The Bulldog coupler requires the Trax supplied shim for the ball mount to clear the slide collar.  Be sure to cinch up the cam over lever as tight as you can make it.  This will add stability as well. 

• 7 months later...

I am still contemplating this "Trailer Valet XL"-   An update to those that might be considering it is that it's currently available from Costco for $540 (shipping included)  and they throw in both the 2" and 2 5/16 balls as well.   Having watched several videos... I'm convinced that if installed per there videos... it would work fine.

And if for some reason you didn't like it...  Costco's return policy is second to none.  Just an FYI for those that might be interested.

https://www.costco.com/trailer-valet-xl-with-2”-and-2.516”-ball-bundle.product.100745138.html

• Thanks 1

2022 Elite II, Hull #1097  Elli Rose 🌹 and she has the solar panels with the 390Ah lithium batteries.  Our tow vehicle is a 2019 Ford Lariat F-150 4wd, 3.5L Eco-boost, 3.55 rear end, with the Max tow package.  Elli Rose also has the street side awning and several walnut and cherry mods on the inside.

TravelMap.png.b89ef2d7bc27b1ea3b58f831ca5bd799.png

On 5/8/2019 at 12:34 PM, Trainman said:

I can't comment on the valet, but it would be something I would not be interested in. If moving my trailer was a problem and I needed something to help move it into a tight spot I would go with a front 2" receiver on my tow vehicle, or other vehicle, I put one on my Jeep Wrangler, you can park your trailer on a dime and at $150/$200 for a receiver hitch it's a bargain.

trainman

I agree with trainman,  Driving forward with a ball on a the front is great. It is a little more than a few hundred bucks. I decided to buy a bumper a tow hitch built in.  We have deer all around our area. We have nailed 6 deer in 12 years.

if this is the only thing you are going to use the hitch for, then I would get an offset receiver so you can see around the trailer.

Early 1999 Ford F250 SD 7.3L Diesel 

2020 Elite II Twin -  Hull # 648

3 hours ago, Dave and Kimberly said:

I am still contemplating this "Trailer Valet XL"-   An update to those that might be considering it is that it's currently available from Costco for $540 (shipping included)  and they throw in both the 2" and 2 5/16 balls as well.   Having watched several videos... I'm convinced that if installed per there videos... it would work fine.

And if for some reason you didn't like it...  Costco's return policy is second to none.  Just an FYI for those that might be interested.

https://www.costco.com/trailer-valet-xl-with-2”-and-2.516”-ball-bundle.product.100745138.html

A few reasons not to buy one. Small tires go flat easy, low to the ground you’ll be bending over a lot. Handle moves easy which constantly applies brake. The brake doesn’t work well on the slightest incline.  The ball always loosen up no matter how tight you get it on the coupler.  And unless you work out all the time. You’ll get the work out of your life. Cranking the handle. The optional drill adapter moves the trailer easier but now your fighting another obstacle. Holding the drill bending over and trying to keep the handle from locking the brake.  Mine sits in the corner of the garage.  I’d say I’ll make you a great deal on it. But I would feel bad selling it to anyone.  Hope this helps. 

• Like 5

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

Crazy thought of the day -

The Trailer Valet RVR 9 is rated at 720W (24v x 30a), and costs $7,700.

This Chinese scooter is rated at 800W, and costs $899.  It has a 600lb capacity, so it won't get crushed.  Question is what would it take to modify it with a tow ball?

You get a great scooter for zipping around the campground, plus an all-terrain trailer mover.   🤣🤔 

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Overland said:

You get a great scooter for zipping around the campground, plus an all-terrain trailer mover.

Put all-terrain tires on that thing and the heck with towing!😁

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I have the Trailer Valet XL and bought it to move my Elite 2 on my fairly level paved driveway.  I completely agree with all of Landrover's comments above.  The main issue is that the ball always loosens up from the coupler (no matter how tight you make it).  Unfortunately, I bought this unit as a "refurbished" unit directly from Trailer Valet so it isn't eligible to be returned.  If I could return it, I would.  I wonder if the issue with the ball always loosening from the coupler is a compatibility issue with the bulldog coupler (vs a standard 2 inch trailer coupler).  I may try to sell the unit to a user that doesn't have a bulldog coupler application.

2021 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #948 - Tow Vehicle: 2021 Nissan Titan XD

18 hours ago, kmoon4545 said:

I have the Trailer Valet XL and bought it to move my Elite 2 on my fairly level paved driveway.  I completely agree with all of Landrover's comments above.  The main issue is that the ball always loosens up from the coupler (no matter how tight you make it).  Unfortunately, I bought this unit as a "refurbished" unit directly from Trailer Valet so it isn't eligible to be returned.  If I could return it, I would.  I wonder if the issue with the ball always loosening from the coupler is a compatibility issue with the bulldog coupler (vs a standard 2 inch trailer coupler).  I may try to sell the unit to a user that doesn't have a bulldog coupler application.

Kmoon545

It doesn’t matter the type of coupler hitch you have. I brought mine for my previous Airstream. Same results. I see that they have a modified Valet with a 24volt angle drill attached. I plan on doing some modifications to mine using chain drive with a small winch and battery. Trailer Valet won’t sell the conversion parts to use with the angle drill.  🤬

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

• 1 month later...

Here is a possible game changer for the Trailer Valet. They now offer a mounting bracket that bolts to the frame. From the pics it appears to be more stable than just using the ball.

475152403_TVXLbracketontrailer.jpg.21a0a49663a931e76785cea04140934c.jpg 

TV XL bracket catalog shot.png

• Thanks 1

Keith & Jill Burnett | 2022 LE2  #1071 | 2021 Toyota Tundra

Atlanta GA

• Moderators

The first powered dolly we bought, the ez tug, was mounted to the tongue, and the leg and wheel could swing up for travel. It felt stable, but it was underpowered,  the wheel went flat. 

We use a parkit360 now. An older model, without a brake. The frame mount would likely make it more "stable" feeling.  I should look into buying that accessory.  Dropping the trailer onto the parkit is always a "hold my breath" moment for me, as it's so low. 

We have the lighter Elite. Screenshot_20220304-151236_Chrome.thumb.jpg.cae636a0302afbd01f3ecd8da7759e46.jpg

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We purchased a Tow Tuff HD Dolly Adjustable Trailer 1000# Capacity tote from Tractor Supply last year.  We returned it after it twisted and began to collapse for a full refund.

Charlie.

• Like 1

ALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMA

Arizona | 2020 Oliver Elite II Twin bed Hull #617 | 2021 Ram 1500 e-Hemi 4x4

On 12/28/2021 at 4:12 PM, Dave and Kimberly said:

I took your advice and purchased the Trailer Valet XL from Costco.  I've also ordered the bolt-on frame bracket since it appears to be sturdier than the ball mount. We're picking up our LE-2 in April.  I have indoor storage in what is essentially an aircraft hangar with a level concrete floor.  I can pull my truck within ten feet of my parking spot.  I just need this thing to move the Ollie the rest of the way.  I'll post a progress report with pics and video.  

• Like 2

Atlanta GA

Please let me know what you think!  For our Oliver...  I have upgraded to the 2- 5/16" coupler (just cus).    Our pick up date is  May 2... and our needs I suspect, would be similar... which is just to tuck it back a little closer in the corner.  The Costco bundle included both a 2" and 2 -5/16"  balls.    IF you do experience anything like some have reported, you can be assured Costco would give you a full refund with no questions asked.   

Edited by Dave and Kimberly
clarification
  • Like 1

2022 Elite II, Hull #1097  Elli Rose 🌹 and she has the solar panels with the 390Ah lithium batteries.  Our tow vehicle is a 2019 Ford Lariat F-150 4wd, 3.5L Eco-boost, 3.55 rear end, with the Max tow package.  Elli Rose also has the street side awning and several walnut and cherry mods on the inside.

TravelMap.png.b89ef2d7bc27b1ea3b58f831ca5bd799.png

On 3/6/2022 at 11:17 AM, Dave and Kimberly said:

Please let me know what you think!  For our Oliver...  I have upgraded to the 2- 5/16" coupler (just cus).    Our pick up date is  May 2... and our needs I suspect, would be similar... which is just to tuck it back a little closer in the corner.  The Costco bundle included both a 2" and 2 -5/16"  balls.    IF you do experience anything like some have reported, you can be assured Costco would give you a full refund with no questions asked.   

Dave:  I'll let you know.  If it works then I'll bring it to the rally in Guntersville so you can play with it. I agree with buying the bundle through Costco. It was about $100 less than buying directly from Trailer Valet. Factor in Costco's refund policy and it's a no-brainer.

• Like 1

Atlanta GA

• 1 month later...

Here is a real-world review of the Trailer Valet XL dolly with the mounting bracket.  My plan was to use it move my Ollie on my concrete parking pad, turning it 180 degrees so I could pull it straight out of the driveway instead of backing it out. The pad is very close to level-- a 2.5 percent grade which is minimal—primarily for water drainage. I bought the frame bracket since I didn’t have a lot of faith in using a 2-inch ball connected to the hitch as the only support to move a 5,000 pound trailer.  I installed the bracket and torque it according to the instructions. Frankly, it’s a disappointment. It couldn’t move my trailer on a 2.5 percent grade. It’s rated for 10,000 pounds, well under the weight of an LE2.

First, the dolly couldn’t get any traction so we put three 50-pound bags of sand on the tongue. The manufacturer recommends using an 18-volt cordless drill.   I had two drills on hand; I burned out one of them.  The mounting bracket rotated backwards under load. I also have plenty of beautiful skid marks on my concrete.

Secondly, this thing is useless on anything other than a perfectly level concrete pad. A 2.5 percent grade isn’t steep. The manufacturer claims that it can handle an incline and it will work on grass or gravel. I have my doubts.

Conclusion:  I’m sending this one back.  Like most things in life, you get what you pay for.  There are bigger, more robust trailer dollies on the market. I’m willing to spend the money to get one that actually works. If anyone knows of a good dolly that will handle a 2.5 percent grade then please let me know.

TV-XL-Factory-Composite-WEB.jpg

TV-XL-bracket-drill.jpg

Ollie-and-mount-for-TV-XL-Cocked-WEB.jpg

Ollie-3-4-view-on-pad.jpg

Ollie-TV-mount-Front.jpg

TV-XL-skidmarks.jpg

2-5-percent-grade-caption.jpg

TV-XL-skid-marks.jpg

• Thanks 3
  • Wow 2

Atlanta GA

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, Keith-n-Jill said:

Secondly, this thing is useless on anything other than a perfectly level concrete pad. A 2.5 percent grade isn’t steep. The manufacturer claims that it can handle an incline and it will work on grass or gravel. I have my doubts.

Thank you for your personal review.  I guess the advertisement picture with the women in platform shoes operating the dolly on a putting green or artificial turf is a little misleading.🤔  And from the looks of your sweaty t-shirt, you did get a workout.

Mossey

• Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

Great review! I use a 15K Airtug to move mine around and lack of traction on any degree of grade is the main problem, particularly when backing up. Power is never an issue but just pushing the trailer up over the 1" curb from apron to garage slab requires a running start. Add in much of a turning angle and tire scrub forces greatly exacerbate the problem.160 pounds of kitty litter ballast in the tongue basket and lowering tug tire pressures helps some, but I'm convinced a front mount TV hitch is a much cheaper, safer, and manageable solution, for those who can use one. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mossemi said:

Thank you for your personal review.  I guess the advertisement picture with the women in platform shoes operating the dolly on a putting green or artificial turf is a little misleading.🤔  And from the looks of your sweaty t-shirt, you did get a workout.

Mossey

I agree--totally misleading. I would like to see that 98 pound young lady in high heels move a 5,000 pound trailer on artificial turf--like that'll happen!  I weigh 182 pounds and it took a good amount of muscle to steer that thing. My adult son was helping me and he was also breaking a sweat. 

• Like 2

Atlanta GA

2 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

Wow, sounds like a piece of junk and potentially a dangerous piece of junk.  Thanks for posting your experience, we can all learn from it.  Mike

It is absolutely a piece of junk--and potentially dangerous. My son would put chocks under the tires whenever we stopped. Don't use this alone.  Fortunately, I bought it from Costco;  hopefully, I can return it without any hassles.  

• Like 2

Atlanta GA

• Moderators

Costco, unlike sams/walmart, has never given me an issue on returns.

I hope this holds true for you.

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.