Website and Forums Update

JWalmsley

Jason and his team should be congratulated on the new web site. The colors are pleasing, and the photos on the main page are really great, especially Phil Andrews’ stunner of the Ollie next to a campfire with a kayak on the lake!

Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 8.11.32 AM

They did a great job with the drop down menus, really increasing functionality for a potential buyer exploring the web site for the first time

And, for us Forum users I see that they have just added Recent Topics from the Forums drop down menu. Thanks!

I have two suggestions to improve the site. As a current owner who mostly uses the Forums, I accept the fact that the web site’s primary purpose is marketing to new potential owners. Two years ago when I was thinking about buying an Ollie, Wincrasher’s blog and video were very helpful to me. The fact that these were made by a current owner (I know, he subsequently sold the trailer), was very influential, compared to a video made by the manufacturer. There are now a bunch of other videos and blog posts, all made by owners. My suggestion is that the Why Oliver drop down menu include one more menu item, maybe called Owner Generated Content. (This is not the smoothest name, and I hope someone will come up with a better one.) This would lead to a web page that would link to Owner Generated Content, including videos by Buzzy, G&J Roaming and Rolling, Mountainborn, Reed Lukens and Wincrasher. Other videos? It should also link to the blog posts by Wincrasher and SuperSizeLife. There are probably other blog posts. Are there any legal / permissions issues here?

Second, I would like to suggest the web page provide links to Oliver Owners’ Blogs. My idea is to have another item under the Forums drop down menu called Oliver Owners’ Blogs. (Better name anyone?) I have stumbled across the blogs of Mendofrank, Mike and Gerri, and SuperSizeLife and I have enjoyed them. I am pretty certain there are other blogs out there by Oliver owners, and I would like to read them. The Oliver Owners’ Blogs page could simply have a short description of each blog along with links. Again, are there legal / permissions issues here? The Oliver Forums have been a great community for sharing useful information, and I think these blogs would enhance that community.

• Thanks 7

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

Maybe I'm beating a dead horse here, since I brought this up a few years ago. I would like to see a option where you could add your city and or state under your name. Often times based on a persons post, it's nice to know where they are from, it may put their post in prospective. Most forums have this option.

• Thanks 4

Stan and Carol

Blacksburg, VA

2014 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi

2014 Legacy Elite II Standard  Hull 63

• Administrators
Maybe I’m beating a dead horse here, since I brought this up a few years ago. I would like to see a option where you could add your city and or state under your name. Often times based on a persons post, it’s nice to know where they are from, it may put their post in prospective. Most forums have this option.

We can look into doing that. We need some time though - we have tons of work going on right now still fixing bugs in the forums/website from the migration.

Thanks,

Jason

• Thanks 2

Full Stack Developer/Marketing @ Oliver Companies

Oliver Forums Guidelines & Rules

How do we get rid of the blue unread box..?

Ha! That was my first thought upon opening the page. That blue is awful, completely against the pleasing color palette, maybe a black box with gold or white letters..

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

Perhaps it's a coincidence, but one of the most wonderful side-effects of the new Oliver site is the Oliver advertising on every website I go to and the game apps on my phone. I just might buy one of those sexy trailers!

Screenshot_20180217-203144.thumb.jpg.e0ed7b81cf15e34632b9a7c56ebe751d.jpg

Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

• Administrators
Jason and his team should be congratulated on the new web site. The colors are pleasing, and the photos on the main page are really great, especially Phil Andrews’ stunner of the Ollie next to a campfire with a kayak on the lake!

Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 8.11.32 AM

They did a great job with the drop down menus, really increasing functionality for a potential buyer exploring the web site for the first time

And, for us Forum users I see that they have just added Recent Topics from the Forums drop down menu. Thanks!

I have two suggestions to improve the site. As a current owner who mostly uses the Forums, I accept the fact that the web site’s primary purpose is marketing to new potential owners. Two years ago when I was thinking about buying an Ollie, Wincrasher’s blog and video were very helpful to me. The fact that these were made by a current owner (I know, he subsequently sold the trailer), was very influential, compared to a video made by the manufacturer. There are now a bunch of other videos and blog posts, all made by owners. My suggestion is that the Why Oliver drop down menu include one more menu item, maybe called Owner Generated Content. (This is not the smoothest name, and I hope someone will come up with a better one.) This would lead to a web page that would link to Owner Generated Content, including videos by Buzzy, G&J Roaming and Rolling, Mountainborn, Reed Lukens and Wincrasher. Other videos? It should also link to the blog posts by Wincrasher and SuperSizeLife. There are probably other blog posts. Are there any legal / permissions issues here?

Second, I would like to suggest the web page provide links to Oliver Owners’ Blogs. My idea is to have another item under the Forums drop down menu called Oliver Owners’ Blogs. (Better name anyone?) I have stumbled across the blogs of Mendofrank, Mike and Gerri, and SuperSizeLife and I have enjoyed them. I am pretty certain there are other blogs out there by Oliver owners, and I would like to read them. The Oliver Owners’ Blogs page could simply have a short description of each blog along with links. Again, are there legal / permissions issues here? The Oliver Forums have been a great community for sharing useful information, and I think these blogs would enhance that community.

Thanks! We have been working hard on it for many months and it is a breath of fresh air to finally see the new site live.

As far as using other people's copyright/protected content on our site that is probably not ever going to happen, it would require their consent/permission. Another problem facing would be getting flagged by search engines for duplicated content, considering they have the exact same blog post on their site and it's being indexed by search engines. This would have a negative effect for our website.

We could be in the future - open to well written, SEO keyword optimized, Oliver specific, Oliver components and/or traveling specific blog posts that are written just for Oliver Blog Pages and not being used anywhere else.

Thanks,

Jason

As far as using other people’s copyright/protected content on our site that is probably not ever going to happen, it would require their consent/permission. Another problem facing would be getting flagged by search engines for duplicated content, considering they have the exact same blog post on their site and it’s being indexed by search engines.

Jason, I was not suggesting that Oliver host this content, but rather to simply provide links to content on YouTube, or WordPress, or some other site. I think that this would not be a problem for your two concerns about having other people’s copyright/protected content on your site, or for being flagged by search engines for duplicate content. Is there a problem if you just link to outside content? The forum currently contains links to YouTube, blogs, and Amazon.

I think for links to blogs, it would probably be good to get permission. My 2 ¢ worth.

• Thanks 2

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators
Just posted a reply, area at top shows offline in red, area at bottom shows online in gold…

@try2relax - Can you show me a picture of what you are looking at? I am not seeing an Online in Gold?

Thank you,

Jason

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for shading the sticky posts - that was getting a bit annoying with so many of them floating up there.  And the blue text is far easier on the eyes.

The blue/gold is a nice color scheme, so I hope you guys stick with it for more than a few months, lol.  When I was photoshopping graphics ideas for or trailer, one of my favorites was a simple blue & gold stripe down the side.  In the end, it was a bit too conservative for us, but as a 'corporate' color scheme, I think it would work well for Oliver.

• Thanks 2