Legacy Elite 18.5 feet towing

mannyqc

I know most Olivers sold must be the Legacy II 23.5 feet model, but i personally love the smaller footprint of the 18.5 feet Oliver, making it more maneuverable and towable by a smaller vehicle.

Two questions:

1) I would be interested to know what vehicle you use to tow your Oliver 18.5 feet?

2) Is there a place on this forum dedicated only to the 18,5 feet model?

Thanks!

• Thanks 1

We are taking delivery of our new Ollie 18.5 on March 6. There are several members on the forum who also have the Legacy Elite and have been very helpful throughout our decision-making process. The vehicle we chose for the job is a Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 which should handle the Ollie with ease. I know @Skalywag also uses the same vehicle to pull his 18.5 but you should get a wide range of options just by asking. Good luck.

• Thanks 2

roguebooks 2020 Ram Classic 1500 Warlock 4x4 Hemi V-8 2018 Legacy Elite, Hull #309  ALARCOFLINKYLAMIMSMONMOKTNTXsm.jpg

travelmap2023.jpg

• Moderators

Mannyqc,

We have towed our smaller Oliver with a Volvo xc90, a 1/2 ton Chevy Silverado (2005 stepside, 2 door, short bed), and now with a 2008 Ram 1500 4 x 4 quad cab.

The Silverado gave us the most nimble combo, tighter turning radius, plenty of power. We still use it occasionally, but it's my daily driver and work truck now.

We got the 4x4 in late 2008 for the narrow mountain gravel roads, and the ability to carry passengers, which we need from time to time.

The Volvo did fine in the relative flats of the southeast, but would, in my opinion, be lacking in steep mountain passes. And, we like driving trucks as tow vehicles.

Good luck in your decision. The smaller Oliver was the only choice when we bought hull #12, but we still love it, and it's perfect for us. All the trailers live really big on the outside.?

Sherry

• Thanks 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We tow our Legacy Elite with a Toyota 4Runner V6.  We have towed our trailer all over the country and up to Nova Scotia.  It has done a marvelous job for us.  We love our Elite because it is so easy to park and travels really well.  You'll love the smaller size.

• Thanks 2

• Moderators

My 2008 Tacoma Prerunner with a 4.0L V6 faithfully towed my Elite 18.5  over 112,000 miles.  Because it currently has 236,000 miles on it and I go to some far away locations, I've recently purchased a new TV as an insurance policy.  I've chosen a 2018 F150 FX4 with the 5.0L V8  and a six and a half food bed for more cargo space.

The Tacoma is a proven performer but I wasn't sure about the newer, smaller 3.5L engine going the distance towing as much as I do. The extra cargo space will also come in handy.  So far, the F150 gets the same or better mpg, not towing, as the Taco.  Haven't tested it yet on a long trip pulling the trailer, but am hopeful on its performance under load.

• Thanks 3

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Pete,

Be sure to let us know how that 5.0 engine tows for you. I'm not yet sold on the Ecoboost for long term durability, but want to be sure the 5.0 has enough power-especially in the mountains.

To the OP, my TV is a 1998 Ford E-250 Econoline with a 5.4 liter Ford Triton Engine/3.73 rear end. 10mpg towing. It has done well but it's 2nd gear and 35-40 mph over the mountain passes here out west. I really want to get a 1/2 ton crew cab with 4wd (gotten stuck once or twice with 2wd), but am having trouble making a decision. I like the Chevy/GMC trucks but they have only 26 gallon gas tanks (in the half ton)! Fords have a 36 gallon option, and depending where you travel, that is a good thing. Congrats on picking the finest Oliver trailer model! So easy to back up and you can slip it in to some tight spots. Don't go too small with your TV. The Olivers tow very well but you need to be sure you are within the payload and tow rating of your vehicle. Usually folks go over payload in smaller vehicles. Longer wheelbase is also more desirable for overall stability.

Dave

• Thanks 2

2015 Oliver Elite, Hull 107

1998 Ford E-250, 5.4 liter