maintenance of dexter ez flex ???

BorninPalatka

Any extreme pressure grease designed to be used in a grease gun on vehicles, is going to be so close to perfect that it becomes ridiculous to search and fret over the exact part number.  And, it's MUCH better to use something than nothing.

I like the little 3oz guns, but every tine I use one it runs out before I'm done.  That means every time I use it I have to change cartridges and that means a mess and more time being covered in grease.

Consider also, if you have the EZ lube bearings on your trailer or want a dab on the ball now and then, that there are other needs besides the suspension links.  You might even want to grease the tow vehicle U joints or ball joints once in a while.

It might be best to use the larger gun, forget bringing a lot of cartridges and pack it in a plastic bag to keep it from messing everything else up.  I bet a nice spot to carry it could be arranged behind the propane bottles where it would be out of the way and not affect anything else.  I've also found the ones with the flexible hoses work best for tight places.

• Like 1

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

I like the 14OZ cartridge grease gun with flex hose, too. Keep the gun in a plastic container because the grease drips a little out of gun when above 90F and could make a mess.

Bought a 14OZ cartridge at Northern Tool two years ago,  used on lawn mower and Ollie.  Heading to Walmarte' tomorrow to buy another cartridge.

Was not sure about grease spec until removing old cartridge tonight.

i-4Tx769p-L.jpg

i-T8VRcVw-L.jpg

• Like 1

Bill #75 LE2

Bill,

That looks good.

What do you think about storing it behind the propane bottles somehow?   I'd like to keep it far away from the stuff in the basement.

John

Bill, That looks good. What do you think about storing it behind the propane bottles somehow? I’d like to keep it far away from the stuff in the basement.

John,

Thanks,

Plastic bags secured with tie wraps could work to catch grease drips. I would use new bags/tie wraps every time the grease gun is used.

Will keep my grease gun in a small plastic trash can in the covered pickup bed with other camping gear while camping.

• Like 1

Bill #75 LE2

While visiting Walmart today purchased a 14OZ cartridge of SuperTech grease that meets NLGI Grade 2 spec.

i-84vgBkT-L.jpg

Also started looking for a better way to store the grease gun while on camping trips. Purchased an inexpensive $7 Hyper Tough 16" plastic tool box that will allow the grease gun to be stored many places in Ollie or TV.

i-RJgRd2L-L.jpg

i-N6BhZrN-L.jpg

i-LQc4PPQ-L.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Bill #75 LE2

• 4 weeks later...

I spent several hours trying to find the 3 Oz tubes for my mini grease gun. THANK YOU for the extra effort and this post.

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

• 1 year later...

I don’t know that there is a consensus....l think the main thing is to do the lubrication regularly. I use a cheap automotive chassis grease, a freshly bought tube so that the oil has not separated yet. I live in an arid climate and it is extremely rare for me to tow in heavy rain. If you often have to tow when the road is flooded, a high-end synthetic waterproof (marine) grease would undoubtedly be better.

Don’t forget to visually inspect all the shackle hardware, and if you have never checked them, put a torque wrench on the nuts while holding the heads to prevent them from spinning, you may find a couple loose. Check the axle ubolts at the same time, I think you will find some loose ones there. 

PS, if you haven’t done the Dexter brake backing plate recall, do it while you have the tools out.

John Davies

Spokane Wa

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

WhatDa - 

See rideandfly's post above.  NLGI grade 2 grease is what is specified and is what Oliver Service uses.  Actually, I believe that Oliver Service uses a brand called "Red N Tacky" by Lucas versus the WalMart brand shown in rideandfly's post.  But as long as it is NLGI grade 2 it will meet the specs.  John's advice above is good if (as he says) one tows in a bunch of wet weather.

Bill

Edited by topgun2
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

6 hours ago, AndrewK said:

This what Oliver told me they use.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005IU1OCK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mystik 665005002080 Red

Andrew

Yep, I bought a case, good stuff.

i also carry a standard grease gun, and spare tube with me on the longer trips, wrapped in a rag, inside a plastic bag, in the bottom of the tool box, under the rear bed cap.....

I must admit, I haven't kept to the 3K schedule, perhaps somewhat longer intervals...

Everyone stay sane and safe.

RB

• Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a very nice locking grease gun coupler that makes greasing the suspension a lot easier.   You no longer have to try to hold the fitting on the zerk and try to pump at the same time.  Put this on a flexible gun hose and you can reach anywhere.

https://www.amazon.com/LockNLube-fittings-best-selling-Long-lasting-rebuildable/dp/B00H7LPKKU/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3LX4YLDVJ970&keywords=locking+grease+gun+tip&qid=1585588497&sprefix=Locking+grease+gu%2Caps%2C206&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Lube-Grease-Spring-Guard-GHP12S01/dp/B07D6PW8XC/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=flexible%2Bgrease%2Bgun%2Bhose&qid=1585589638&sr=8-10&th=1

I decided to buy a case of this Red-N-Tacky as it seems like very good stuff and is NLGI 2 rated.  It is supposed to not separate and drip out of the gun like so many other greases do.  Good for both the suspension and the wheel bearings.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006RYX0QY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

John

• Moderators

Thanks John for helping me spend this weeks allowance.  Now I just have to convince my wife that the locking coupler will actually save money with less wasted grease and paper towels for clean up.

I've been picking up the Red-N-Tacky at NAPA and I really like it.

Mossey

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

10 hours ago, Raspy said:

Here is a very nice locking grease gun coupler that makes greasing the suspension a lot easier.   You no longer have to try to hold the fitting on the zerk and try to pump at the same time.  Put this on a flexible gun hose and you can reach anywhere.https://www.amazon.com/LockNLube-fittings-best-selling-Long-lasting-rebuildable/dp/B00H7LPKKU/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3LX4YLDVJ970&keywords=locking+grease+gun+tip&qid=1585588497&sprefix=Locking+grease+gu%2Caps%2C206&sr=8-4

I have several grease guns with that connector. Have you tried to grease the EZ flex suspension with it?   I believe there are clearance issues with the LockNLube connector and the stock grease fittings.  I don’t remember what the exact clearance issues were, but on a rainy day last June I left the campground, went into a farm supply store, and bought enough 90 and 45 degree grease zerks to replace all of the straight originals.  Now I can easily reach all the zerks and hook on with the nifty LockNLube fitting.  You should confirm that everything fits before planning a chassis lube midway on a long road trip.  I don’t think the LockNLube will work with the stock grease fittings. 

HTH. Ken

• Like 1

2013 Toyota Land Cruiser 200

2018 Twin Bed Elite II #351

• Moderators

Well thanks Ken and Andrew 😮.  Now I’m into next weeks allowance.  I guess I should buy a bunch of 45° and 90° zerks prior to my spring wheel bearing maintenance.

Mossey

• Moderators

Mossey - Don't do it!

But, please let me know when you plan to grease those zerks so I can come down to watch you struggle 😁.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Are you suggesting that I not grease the suspension until I see you at the rally and you can do it for me while also showing me how to do it Bill's way?

I have used a creeper to grease the suspension several times and that works fine other than I haven’t figured out how to deflate the creeper wheels while doing the axle limbo.😄.  I usually use a roll of paper towels cleaning up the grease that seeped out between the grease gun and the zerk.  So I was hoping the LockNLube tip would help.

Mossey

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/30/2020 at 7:20 PM, AndrewK said:

I use a LockNLube and it works well but I need to remove the tires to get to all of the zerks.

Buy it by the case, it is a lot cheaper!

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

Ride and Fly, (hey neighbor) 

Thanks for the recommendation on this compact no fuss no muss cartridge no leak grease gun. Ordered.

https://lube-shuttle.us/lube-shuttle-one-hand-grease-gun/

-David 

Edited by Patriot

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg