Propane Tank Level Indicator

• Moderators

Mike & Carol -

I gave up on all of the old "gauges" some time ago.  I simply do not even use the automatic change over valve on the propane tanks and keep my "spare" bottle shut off until the one I'm using runs out of propane.  That way I certainly know when the first is empty and I get it refilled as soon as possible after switching to the "spare" tank.   I should note here that I seldom use the furnace and only use the hot water heater (for shower water) when I have little other choice.  One of my 20 pound propane bottles lasts me up to two months primarily cooling the fridge, heating water for tea, coffee, or hot chocolate and heating meals.

You're right - this one looks promising.  But, for $100 I think that I'll stick to my current method.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

You really only need one sender, put it under the bottle that is being used, use the app, set the valve to Auto, then when that tank gets to empty it will switch over and you will know to refill the empty one. A sensor is $45 at Amazon. However, I see nothing about water resistance. From this video it appears that it will leak like a sieve - it snaps together like a car key fob.  I sure don't see a case seal, and the electronics are completely unprotected by any sort of potting compound.

I think the display looks really tacky, I would hate for that to be visible on the wall of my trailer, maybe inside the closet above the sewer vent lines.... but I would just use the App.

I sent an email to the manufacturer:

"My trailer has two bottles that are completely exposed at the bottom to road spray and fluids from washing.

Is there a way to waterproof the sensors?

Could they be enclosed in some sort of container and still function?

How do they deal with lots of condensation dripping onto them from the tank as it is being used?

Your product info does not address this issue, please advise."

I am putting one sensor in my Wish List and I will await further feedback about how the sensor will survive an external wet environment. For an enclosed motorhome application, I bet it would be neat.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

John, will be interested in what you find out. I’ve been using the same method as Bill, use one tank then switch over when it’s empty or close. The Type A in me wants to know my levels!  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderator+

This system is calibrated for twenty pound tanks. It will work with a thirty pound tank but it will show full until you use your propane down to a twenty pound level.  It appears to work well aside from that.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Their customer service seems to be quick and responsive....

We now have newly designed sensors that provide great protection from the elements. This is done by the design of the sensor and a rubber gasket around the perimeter of the sensor. We addressed the areas where moisture was entering the sensors and modified the sensors and added the gasket. The only we can think to enclose the sensor in a protective fashion and have them still operate might possibly be in a cellophane bag. You might have to do a little trial an error to make sure this would work.

I might give one a test. I did ask about the warranty and if it included damage from water intrusion.

The fact that they took steps to fix a serious design flaw is good. OTH they screwed it up in the first place which is never a good thing.... I wonder why they did not consider weather proofing from the very start?

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

1 year warranty and that includes damage from moisture. Just contact us with any issues...we're pretty easy to work with.

Thank you!

That sounds good.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Moderators

I saw this Truma device at the RV show in Tampa last month.  It looked interesting and doesn’t have any weather issues as it is kept in your TV or OTT.  Will it survive the inevitable drop?

$69.99 from Truma.

Mike

B899205F-EDFF-46D2-93E4-A3EB8D6C131E.thumb.png.79e48c3fed8ee7a65751e4de28ac8461.png

• Thanks 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

I saw this Truma device at the RV show in Tampa last month. It looked interesting and doesn’t have any weather issues as it is kept in your TV or OTT. Will it survive the inevitable drop? $69.99 from Truma. Mike

I like that even better and just ordered one. Thanks for the info.

ABNBNSPEALARCOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMSMOMTNENHNMNYNCOHOKPARISCSDTNTXUTVTVAWVWYmed.jpg

Tom & Cheryl 

LE II #305

2018 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax

• Moderators

One of these was given away at last year's Oliver Owner's Rally as a door prize.  If that lucky person is a member of this Forum - how about a review?

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

From John's customer service contact:

The only we can think to enclose the sensor in a protective fashion and have them still operate might possibly be in a cellophane bag. John Davies Spokane WA

My two monitors arrived today and shall travel with me this summer.  I plan to use the small snack Zip-Lock baggies as an extra moisture / dirt barrier.

I get so many good ideas from the forum.  Thanks, ya'll!

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

One of these was given away at last year’s Oliver Owner’s Rally as a door prize. If that lucky person is a member of this Forum – how about a review? Bill

Bill, I use it all the time and it has not failed me yet.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1