Question for the Oliver Travel Trailer Factory???

Hap

If you’re on the side freeway with a flat tire and for some rare reason, you have a jack failure where do I tell the wrecker driver to place his jack to lift the trailer to change the flat tire? Where are the lift points on OTT's?

Jack failure is rare but it does happen.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

Hi @hap,

Glad to see you have reached out to us on the forums. However, you could best reach us by putting in a ticket for any of your questions and concerns. The ticket system is found here:

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/service/

I reached out to Jason Essary and here is what he said:

First part is that on the Elite II we don’t have to worry about jack failure for the flat tire as you should not use the jack to raise the trailer. You would want to run the good tire up onto a block or special tire ramp to lift the other tire off the ground for easy changing.

Jack spots. There aren’t any built in jack spots per se like you might find on a car or van with a special reinforced area for the jack. The best place would be to place the jack on the steel section of the subframe as close to the tire that needs to be lifted. DO NOT put the jack under the axle or leaf springs.

Thanks,

Jason

• Thanks 2

Full Stack Developer/Marketing @ Oliver Companies

Oliver Forums Guidelines & Rules

Hi Keymaster,

As you may already know I have experienced a jack failure on our first 2014 OTT while in the middle of nowhere Alaska. Also, this is not a request for service just a question that I've been asking for several years and still don't understand the answer.  I suppose I a little on the dumb side but reading your reply here and reading the 2016 Elite II manual leaves me even more confused.

What is a "special tire ramp"? In the thousands of miles that we have traveled while RVing I've seen many RV's with both tires flat on one side of the trailer flat after hitting a really bad object on the road. If I purchase a "special tire ramp" and both tires are flat will it still work? When I take our trailer to an RV service center to have bearings packed how do I explain to them the proper procedure to raise the tires? Where "is the steel section of the subframe"?  A picture would be nice.

Also while I'm at it I'd like to request a [Question for the Factory] section on your forum page.

Thank You.

Hap

• Thanks 4

• Moderators

Hap -

I believe that this is the kind of thing Jason Walmsley was talking about in regards to the "special tire ramp":

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Aid-Tandem-Changing-Change-Trailers/dp/B000I4JPZE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1519309743&sr=8-1&keywords=RV+tire+ramp

It does not appear to me that these things would work very well in the event that both tires were deflated.  But, with a bit of effort and some boards I would think that one could get the job done.

Also, I think that Jason was only trying to point out that the "Service Request" form is intended to be used for multiple functions to include "technical questions".

I used to think that I knew the answer to the questions regarding lifting the Elite II and/or jacking this camper.  However, with all of the conflicting "opinions" that have been expressed on the Forum I'm no longer so sure.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

KountryKamper:

According to your July 2017 picture of the steel subframe; the U shaped steel frame looks to be about 12 inches longer than where the spring hangers are installed.  On our 2015 Elite II the U shape steel subframe extends about one inches past where the spring hangers are installed.  Because of this short distance there is no space where a jack stand could be placed on the subframe when doing maintenance on the wheels.

• Thanks 2

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Limited

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull # 93

• 1 month later...
  • Service Manager

Please see link below:

On-Board Jacks & Jack Points

• Thanks 1

----------------

Jason D. Essary

OLIVER SERVICE

228 Industrial Ave

Hohenwald, TN 38462

Phone: (888) 526-3978

Hours: Monday - Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm CST

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). Any review, use, distri­bution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by email and delete the message and any file attachments from your computer.

Login to Service Portal: https://support.olivertraveltrailers.com/portal/en/home

topgun2, I looked at the Amazon link and while I think you are right that that is the type of tire ramp they are talking about, it appears those tire ramps don't work with leaf spring axles.

Alison, Ross & Annika

Hull No. 310

• Moderators

Alison -

Perhaps you are correct - I was only trying to clarify what the meaning of "special tire ramps" was. I've never used these to change a tire on either previous stick builts I owned or my Oliver. If I had to guess I would think that the "plus" version of the referenced model just might actually get the job done. Certainly it would get the camper high enough and take most of the weight so that a regular jack would not have to support quite as much. Hopefully I will never have to need one.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"