Tire replacement guidelines

https://yourfulltimervliving.com/rv-resources/rv-trailer-tire-when-should-you-replace-tires-on-your-rv-trailer

The comments are interesting.

Note that he is talking about heavily loaded fifth wheels; your Ollie has a large reserve weight capacity, if the tires are not allowed to get low on pressure.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderator+

He states that the useful life of an ST tire is between five and twelve thousand miles.

“Believe it or not, RV trailer tires are designed to not wear out. It’s life is determined by time and the number of duty cycles. They are designed to last 5k to 12k miles!”

If I followed these recommendations, I’d have to buy new tires before every trip.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

If I followed these recommendations, I’d have to buy new tires before every trip.

Are you running ST trailer tires? If so, why? Oliver does not install these on the production line.

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Found the article interesting, too:

"So, when should you replace tires on your RV trailer is something that I know everyone has an opinion on.  I know when I go to replace mine I will get another RVer saying something like “why would you want to replace those?  They look like new!”

And they are right.  They do!  But all evidence to the contrary since one of them blew out just a few weeks ago.  So, I am looking for a good RV ST trailer tire to replace my five-year-old LT tires.  As an RV inspector, I can tell you that five years is the amount of time I recommend for a replacement. When there is so much riding on your tires it is not worth taking a chance.  I am not a gambling man like some are".

Sounds like the writer is going to replace LT tires with ST tires, too.

I'm happy with the LT radial tires installed on the 2015 Ollie so far, they are about 4 years old, plan to replace at about 5 to 6 years as per DOT manufacture code with LT tires.

LE2

• Moderator+

Are you running ST trailer tires? If so, why? Oliver does not install these on the production line. Thanks. John Davies Spokane WA

No, but if I followed these recommendations, I would be...

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

My 2 cents and just for fun.

The debate between ST tires and LT tires on a TT has been going on  for some time.

I am not currently an Oliver Trailer owner, but It's on my bucket list. Maybe Oliver uses LT tires because they are made in the USA! There may be other reasons and I am not a tire expert. It would be interesting to learn more on why Oliver has made that decision. Also I am neutral on the subject between ST or LT.

But I have not had good luck with anything made in China.

I recently had a tire less then three years old blow out on my current trailer. I have since purchased a tire pressure monitor and I will never tow again without one.

I have never overloaded my current trailer and I have weighed the trailer before each trip, I am always well under the maximum axle and GVWR load. But my trailer manufacture installed four D rated tires on dual 5200 LB axles. D rated tires are designed for a maximum load of 2,540 ea. X 2 = 5,080. A little short of 5,200 Lbs. must be some kind of new math! So after the tire blew, I went with ST, E rated tires. I could not find one made in the USA, so at least I chose a name brand.

The next year I had two aluminum wheels crack, they were on the opposite side of the blown tire. Again, they were genuine Cheeena brand, you call it China, I call it Cheeena for CHEEP.

Now Goodyear has come out with a Made in the USA ST tire, the Endurance. It will be interesting to see if Oliver make a switch.

PS: There is no warranty expressed or implied to the accuracy or sufficiency of the information provided and the user assumes all risk with its use.

Picture-3.thumb.jpg.365e2a7347833fc16dad4b7ac602f392.jpg

Picture-2.thumb.jpg.c1126e4c2b32495f9f51aa8e244fdb85.jpg

• Thanks 2

GeoFish

Born to Fish / Forced to Work

GeoFish,

Been reading about the new Goodyear Endurance ST tires, looks like a fine ST tire. I have radial ST tires on another trailer and have not had any issues with them, so far.

Have not had issues with BF Goodrich LT tires on my Ollie so far and plan to install Michelin LT tires on Ollie in the future. My Ollie's wheels have a 60PSI maximum pressure stamped on the casting. Like to look at the following charts for application.

Here's a Goodyear Endurance inflation chart, don't see the same size as the LT tire used on my 2015 Ollie.

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

Here's a Michelin Truck inflation chart, could not find the chart for Michelin LT model tires currently installed on Ollies:

https://www.michelintruck.com/reference-materials/manuals-bulletins-and-warranties/load-and-inflation-tables/#/

EDIT: Found this thread on Air Forums about Goodyear Endurance ST tires, looks like several there started using them:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438/goodyear-endurance-st-tires-made-in-usa-157249.html

LE2

Plan to install Michelin Light Truck tires on our Oliver when time to replace tires, but it's worthwhile to continue watching for improved quality tires as they become available for any trailer.

Here's a quote from the following article about the new Goodyear Endurance tires:

"And it’s not just consumers who have taken notice. Several RV manufacturers outfitted their product with the Endurance as standard equipment including Jayco Inc., Airstream Inc. and Lance Camper Manufacturing Corp., to name a few".

http://www.rvbusiness.com/2017/10/buzz-goodyear-gaining-traction-with-endurance/

LE2

• 1 year later...

Tire Sale Upcoming: A bird told me that Michelin truck tires will go on sale at Costco around 15 April 2019.   The Bridgestones are on sale now, but i prefer the former.

Stay well, Vector.

• Thanks 2

2016 Oliver Legacy Elite II;  #129

Ordered in 2015, picked up in 2016.  My friend Don Thompson picked his up right in front of me, very cool dude.

2016 Nissan Titan XD, Diesel