Kitchen knife magnetic wood strip

rideadeuce

• Moderators

That's really lovely, and useful. Did you build it, or would you mind sharing the source?

I know some have built knife blocks for their drawers. I carry mine in scabbards to keep them from getting damaged.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Safety suggestions.....

Do not travel with them on the rack or one may end up in the sink or on the floor.That is hard on the knife and also the trailer.

Hang the knives with the blades UP , so that if one does fall off it will hit on the handle and not the tip. Falling tip down will hurt the countertop or perhaps your hand if you are clumsy like me and drop one while removing or installing it.

I have a nice Ikea rack like that in my kichen, but I would be reluctant to trust it in a moving trailer. I really like mag racks, but they scare me a little, and require some care and your respect.

A chef’s fabric knife carry case works great for transport.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

After 300 mile trip through post-winter pot holes and I-65 road work the knives did not budge but I appreciate your feedback. I may end up stowing them during drive.

- Mike

Nashville, TN

2018 Elite II - Spirit of Adventure Hull #308  - Toyota Tundra 

• Moderators

In commercial kitchens, we hung the knives handle down for safety, and ease of removal... Slide the knife blade down, and off the bar. The dull handle is the first contact.

If (if) I were to transport knives on a very strong mag rack, (instead of in a drawer, in scabbards) , I'd actually turn them handle up, as shown. A bump will make the knife slide, but , maybe, the handle would act as a stop and keep it in place on the rack. Without the bump of the handle, the knife would slide and pop more easily, imo.

All arguments aside, it's a very attractive rack. Your trailer is lovely. Let us know how it goes.

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

We have a similar rack, and have had good results. We have found that with the blades down the steak knives will come loose on real rough roads. With the handle down they seem to stay put. Maybe the momentum of the heavier handle? The rest of the utensils seem to stay just fine. If we know we will be rough roads they may end up in a drawer...

IMG_20170903_1123472_rewind.thumb.jpg.65ff4ebf59f82f73109d7e9ad45733cb.jpg

• Thanks 1