Awning Stow Issue - anyone else seeing this?

We are on our first trip in the Ollie since the acceptance and things are going great but I did notice what looks like an issue with the way the Care Free awning stows against the hull and is apparently damaging a seal. The outside part of the awning (metal part that extends away from the hull when deployed) has some heavy plastic pieces bolted to them that press against the seal above the door area (and all along that side). See attached photo. I am not sure what purpose they serve but there are a couple of them and they are both causing a problem.

The damaged seal (also pictured) above the porch light is pushed down apparently by that plastic piece and is now exposing some screws. In addition to not looking good I am concerned that this may also result in additional problems.

Has anyone else with the Care Free awning seen evidence of this problem? If so, has it been addressed by Oliver Travel Trailers yet?

I left a voice message with Jason Essary this afternoon and am waiting for a return call now.

Awning-Edit.thumb.jpg.4ab5fb5c011be068c7ed9292869accba.jpg

Seal2.thumb.jpg.0443c6e99ce06af4d97a3e237e3a13fb.jpg

• Thanks 1

Darrell & Kathy

2013 F-250 Diesel 6.7

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II (Hull #319)

https://www.blogger.com/profile/02054187086533485920

d

I just looked at ours and it is the same way. That seal appears the be a seal to keep water from running down the side of the camper from under the awning. It looks like the part touching the camper shell is what is important. The black plastic things appear to hold the awning in place when closed. I don't think the screws being exposed are a big deal but I am curious to hear what Jason says. Let us know what he tells you.

• Thanks 1

ABNBNSPEALARCOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMSMOMTNENHNMNYNCOHOKPARISCSDTNTXUTVTVAWVWYmed.jpg

Tom & Cheryl 

LE II #305

2018 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax

Mine was/is like that in places also.  Like Tom said, what you're seeing is the seal that Oliver installs, and they don't always get it even.  It looks like it may be trapped under those screws a bit.  You can try getting up on a ladder and pulling on it to see if it will pull away from the screws and lift into place.  Might help to hit it with a hair dryer to soften it up and reshape it around that plate.

• Thanks 1

It looks like it may be trapped under those screws a bit. You can try getting up on a ladder and pulling on it to see if it will pull away from the screws and lift into place. Might help to hit it with a hair dryer to soften it up and reshape it around that plate.

Overland, I did get up there and look and try to reposition it (without adding any heat). It does not appear to be the screws holding it out of place. Seal seems to be pretty dense foam and is pressed out of shape and since it (awning) is in the closed position more than not, it is holding that shape. I am convinced it is the black plastic on the awning because it is evident at every location where they are but the one in the photo I posted is the worst one. I "think" that seal is cosmetic only but cannot be sure since it being out of place exposes the screws. It doesn't look good either way.

• Thanks 1

Darrell & Kathy

2013 F-250 Diesel 6.7

d

Jason just sent me a few photos of our trailer and you can see similar depressions along the street side awning gasket.  You can see one right over the bath window and another between the other two windows, and possibly a third at the far end.  Do these match up with the ones on yours?  Interestingly, they don't show up on the curb side gasket, which of course is the one we've used the most.  I seem to remember one or two there, so maybe they've worked themselves out over time.

20180309_085249.thumb.jpg.6bcfe080fa7bee0b3f46623007edf1c5.jpg

Yes, except the ones on mine appear in worse shape.

Jason called me back yesterday and like some of you suggested it is for a seal to keep water running down the camper and the white seal (one that is compressed) poses no problem other than cosmetic. He also suggested that applying some heat and working it back into place will likely improve the appearance. I plan to do that and hopefully in warmer weather it will improve.

Darrell & Kathy

2013 F-250 Diesel 6.7

d