Solar Trickle Charger?

Does anyone  use a solar tickle charger? If so, would you please share which one you recommend & how to connect it to the 4 Trojan AGM 6v batteries?

Due to an unfortunate accident (Duke broke 6 ribs) that occurred the day after he & our son returned from camping & before we had a chance to recharge the batteries after said camping trip, we need a way to recharge our batteries while it is in storage. (No power access & we don't have the solar panels.)

I've been researching solar trickle chargers but because of the learning curve and the overwhelming amount of info out there in the WWW, I am stuck.

Huge thanks,

Chris

Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

• Moderators

Chris-

For what its worth -

When I put Twist to bed in the late Fall I disconnected the negative cable from the batteries and connected a small solar charger with the negative going to the same post from which I disconnected the main negative cable from the Ollie and the positive going to the post where the main positive cable from the Ollie is attached.  I ran an extra long cable to the front of Twist from the batteries to the solar charger so that the charger would be in the sun most of the day.

Upon checking the batteries after two months, they read right at 12.8 volts - full charge.  Therefore, I assume that the small solar charger is doing its job in that I have the regular solar panels covered.

Here is the charger that I'm using:

https://www.harborfreight.com/15-watt-solar-battery-charger-68692.html

Good Luck - Bill

p.s.  I have the four Trojan 105 lead acid batteries but I doubt that there would be any different result no matter which set of batteries you have given the relatively small charge that this 1.5 watt panel puts out.  After all, all you are trying to do is to off set any natural loss of charge in the batteries given that there is noting else hooked up to them.

• Thanks 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Chris,

Sorry to hear about Duke's ribs and hope he feels better soon. We have a 20W solar panel with 12V regulator we used to charge Ollie's two 12V batteries.  We no longer need it since we started storing Ollie in an airplane hangar and purchased a 100W suitcase solar charger when camping without shore power.

It's mounted on an old camera tripod. We connected the solar panel to Ollie's tow vehicle 7 pin connector and used as a charger, which is a less efficient way to charge, but in full sun would take two 12V batteries from 12.5V to full charge in about a day. We installed a battery master disconnect switch to stop battery drain while not charging with the solar panel, too. Once the batteries were charged, we would store the solar charger and disconnect battery switch. We did not leave the solar panel/regulator out in the rain.   The solar panel regulator's one page manual is in Ollie and not here, so I don't remember all of the 12V charging specs.

The price is right, free, just pay for shipping from NC or if you attend the rally we can give it to you there.  Just let us know if you want it.

i-8Xt3xgP-L.jpg

i-Pr972Lm-L.jpg

i-Z4nx9Dj-L.jpg

Bill and Debbie

EDIT: Just saw Bill's post about the Harbor Freight Solar Charger, looks like a good deal, too!

• Thanks 1

LE2

• Moderators

Duke & Chris,

Do you know the charge state of the batteries at this time?  I’m not sure of your storage conditions but you could charge the batteries from your vehicle if you can reach the Ollie batteries with jumper cables.  Or you could connect the tow vehicle 7 pin connector to the Ollie and charge the batteries slowly.

I’ll be back in Tampa late next week and can come give you a hand while Duke is on the mend if needed.

• Thanks 4

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

Oh my goodness, you all are wonderfully kind & generous, and informative!

I'm gathering that our batteries need to be fully charged for a trickle charger to do any good. Our batteries are at 9.0 so it appears my first goal is to get them charged? I was at the trailer this morning and connected the trailer & tow veh with the 7 pin connector for about 30 minutes but didn't see a change in charge level. Our neighbor has a Honda generator that I can handle & will borrow when they get home. In the meantime, I'll pull the negative cable to keep the batteries from draining any further. Please let me know if I'm off track.

Topgun/Bill, the Harbor freight charger is on sale for $13.99! Can't beat that!

Ride&fly/Bill, I truly appreciate your offer of the 20V solar setup. I hope to have this figured out soon & shouldn't need it. I do have a question, did you wire the 7 pin connector yourself?

Mike, thank you so much for your offer to come help. I think I got this, but if the above fails, I will reach out to you.

We are registered for the Rally and pending Duke's recovery, will be there. Although I've got to learn how to handle the Ollie by myself, we may need to ask for help with unhooking/hooking up of trailer.

I look forward to meeting you all & thanking you in person.

Chris

Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292

Chris, I can answer some of your questions, you will find many helpful and knowledgeable folks here that can share additional information.

Our batteries are at 9.0 so it appears my first goal is to get them charged?

Yes

I was at the trailer this morning and connected the trailer & tow vehicle with the 7 pin connector for about 30 minutes but didn’t see a change in charge level.

It has been reported in another thread that some Ollies would not charge batteries when connected to the tow vehicle, I can't find the thread right now. Our Ollie batteries will charge when connected to the TV .

I do have a question, did you wire the 7 pin connector yourself?

Yes, it's easy to connect two wires - & + to make it work

We are registered for the Rally and pending Duke’s recovery, will be there. Although I’ve got to learn how to handle the Ollie by myself, we may need to ask for help with unhooking/hooking up of trailer.

There will be many folks at the rally ready to help! 

• Thanks 1

LE2

• Moderators

Chris, I'm sending you a pm. You should have success with the Honda charging your battery. It will take some time.

Best of luck, and so sorry to hear of your misfortunes. Best wishes for a speedy recovery for Duke.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

t has been reported in another thread that some Ollies would not charge batteries when connected to the tow vehicle, I can’t find the thread right now. Our Ollie batteries will charge when connected to the TV .

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/ongoing-mods-to-hull-92/

Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292

• Thanks 2

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

Happy ending! We are fully charged thanks to a friend who has a 30 amp outlet at his home that he installed years ago for his motorhome. So very thankful for good friends & fellow Oliver owners.

Chris

• Thanks 1
Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292

• Moderators

So very happy to hear that you are charging, and all is well with the oliver.

Now, hoping for a speedy recovery for Duke.

All our best,

Sherry and Paul

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.