Fresh water pickup tube factory fix, revisited

John E Davies

There have been a number of threads about this in the last 12 months, things seemed to have stalled out in Howenwald....

Today I sent this to Oliver via their Service Request page...

Hi, I don't need this for my own trailer, since I modified the pickup design myself, but you REALLY need to post a service bulletin describing how to get this done, especially about the availability of a rental or loaner spin-weld tool to install the threaded fitting into the top of the tank. The tool is expensive (especially for a single use), hard to acquire and most RV dealers will not have one.

It has been a year since this subject was started and I have seen no sign of any progress on the forum. Have you modded trailers away from the factory, and how was the work accomplished? This long delay is unacceptable. 

Comments? has anyone seen or used a factory kit that included the special tool?

FYI - older related threads:

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/has-anyone-received-the-fresh-water-pickup-tube-kit-and-did-it-include-the-spin/

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/fresh-water-tank-modification-new-suction-line/

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/how-to-fresh-water-tank-suction-tube-mod-no-spin-welding-required/

Thanks,

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

John,

As you know, I designed the fix, developed the hardware, brought in the required router, and did a couple of installations.  Reed documented the work as it was being done on his trailer and posted it.  I posted a detailed look at the parts required and explained the procedure.  The fix I designed and am using, works perfectly.  I also contacted Oliver and offered to assist them in getting this repair off the ground for existing trailers.

I never got any response of any kind from them.  Nothing.  Silence.  Others have requested "kits" from Oliver and have gotten practically nothing.   There is no support of any kind, that I can see, regarding the tank upgrade.

I'm afraid this is typical and it's too bad.   But I can assist anyone wanting to do the upgrade by lending the tool, supplying the parts, etc.

I love my trailer and it's a real keeper, but as time goes by, I'm realizing we are all on our own with issues that Oliver doesn't want to deal with.  Hopefully, there won't be any issues that I can't deal with on my own.  The water tank problem was a mistake in design and not a failure.  As you know, this isn't the first time we've gotten the silent treatment or had a response that didn't make sense.  It would be better and less frustrating if Oliver simply said "we are not going to help you with that" or "we don't know what to do about that" or "we'll get to that issue when we can" or "that is not covered under our warrantee".

• Thanks 1

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

• Moderator+

I'm glad that I am not a horse that belongs to either of you guys.

• Thanks 5

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

John D.

Very excellent.

Are new trailers being modified at the factory before delivery?

Thank you,

Geronimo John

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

Geronimo John, yes, I don’t know what hull number was the first, but this new curved suction tube design is now current on the production line. And the service department can retrofit older hulls there. It is the older ones in the field that are a concern (the ones that are too far away for a factory visit).

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I would like to offer some love to that old mare.  I called Jason several months ago and scheduled a visit to the mothership next week.  He informed me that the fix for the fresh water tank could be done in an hour or so.  Come on in and we will get'er done.

I am greatful for small favors, if it didn't work out, I was planning to ask to loan/rent the tool to install the mod myself.  I know that experience in proceedures with plastic count for a lot in my book.  I hope to observe and lend a hand so that I might be able to help another Ollie owner in the future.

20170425_174505.thumb.jpg.0390f6f575d2162abede7a1deca8666b.jpg

• Thanks 1

Raspy, What brand and model router are you using for this mod?

I have a Porter Cable brand.  The model number is either a 690LR or a 9690LR, depending if you read it on the case or the motor.

It's 11 amps with a 1/2" collet and removeable base.

Other models can be fine too, but the important features are:  Powerful (I would not recommend a router smaller than 11 amps).  Removeable base and handles with the switch mounted on the motor.   1/2" collet

This router seems perfect for the job.  Once striped of it's base plate and knob handles, it fits right down into the area where the spin weld is done.  The switch is still easy to reach for accurate welding.

John

• Administrators

I have been with Oliver since early 2014 and just wanted to add my insight. The Forums were developed as a way to communicate between owners about modifications, places to see, etc. They were never intended to be, nor are they now, a direct communication channel between owners and the company. There are five Oliver owners that are moderators and well over 1,000 members to give their take on things. At any given time, day or night, there are anywhere from 5-20 people active simultaneously on the Forum.  We are a small company and unfortunately just don't have the resources to monitor the forums on an around the clock basis. Yes, we do try to post information or technical bulletins when we develop them, but as a small, growing company we find ourselves wearing many hats and can't always do it in a manner that satisfies our media driven society’s need for instant responses. It may seem that we are ignoring issues or requests when we don't reply or post something here, but believe me, nothing could be further from the truth. Our reputation for integrity and transparency probably works against us sometime as we set the bar so much higher for ourselves than others in our industry. We definitely want you to be happy with your Oliver. I have worked for good and bad companies over the years and can happily say that Oliver truly cares about their customers and its employees. My suggestion for anything technically related with your Oliver, whether it is a warranty related issue or a routine service is to contact Jason in our service department. He can be reached during normal business hours at 866-205-2621 or 931-796-6836. He always tries to return calls the same day, but again, like the rest of us, he’s only human and unfortunately, we have to let him go home sometimes too. If for some reason, you don’t hear back from him in a timely manner, please try reaching out to Brent in our Sales department at 888-526-3978.

• Thanks 7

Matt Duncan

Marketing Consultant, Oliver Travel Trailers

Matt,

Thanks for the comment.  I'm sure Oliver is busy and I believe they are doing their best.

It seems to me that this forum is being used as designed, as a place where owners can communicate with each other.  That is where some of the friction shows up.  Some of the issues that have come have been brought up directly with Oliver and have not been answered.  I, for instance have called Jason several times with a friendly message and request he contact me about the water tanks.  I was never contacted, so I addressed the problem myself.  Months later, I have still not been contacted and it doesn't matter at this point.  This has nothing to do with a need for instant gratification.  Meanwhile, I and others have posted detailed pictures, procedures and videos about how to work around the problems, such as the water tank issue and the grounding problem.  It seems like Oliver would want to be involved in that kind of stuff.    At one point we were told that the grounding issue was fixed after a certain hull number or year, but it was not true, so I and others have addressed that issue ourselves too.

During discussions about these issues we contact each other for advice on this site.  I hope Oliver is monitoring the comments, but If they are not, and they don't return phone calls, or they give out false information, it leads to frustration.

Again, I love my trailer and have a lot of repect for Oliver, but it's worrysome to be met with silence about problems.  I'm not looking for any handholding and I can figure out how to jack it up, but it would be nice to be able to contact them and get a thoughtful response.

I imagine that Oliver is very busy, and that is good, I want them to be very succsessful with their excellent trailers,  but maybe it's time to get someone in that is designated as a liason and can return calls and give accurate information about the few troubling issues that have come up.  Jason is very good at what he does and maybe he should be allowed to continue to focus on that, without distraction.

If we, as owners, use this site as a way to communicate with each other, and it's an official site, then prospective buyers are reading it too.  I have happily shown my trailer to a number of possible buyers and always tout the great design and special features, but it must hurt sales to have possible buyers read frustrated posts.   Wouldn't it be better to have the contact person I suggested, to address possible issues before they get bigger?  Some of the questions, like how to jack it up correctly, could have easily been resolved with a clear letter on this forum by a person from Oliver that could have explained the discrepancy.  BTW, that has never been a controversial issue with me, but it was discussed a lot.  Then there was the broken door slides (mine have been fine) that caused some folks to at least threaten to cancel their orders, when it could have been resolved very quickly if proper attention was given to the problem.

So, I think it's just a communication problem and the sometimes seeming lack of dealing with problems.  True or not, that is the root of the problem and the seed of the frustration.   I have run a small businees for 40 years and I am acutely aware of how difficult and overwhelming public relations and problem solving can be.  Those problems come with the territory and are a byproduct of success. The bigger Oliver gets the more squeaky wheels there will be and the more opportunites for developing a devoted following.

• Thanks 4

John

Purchased my Oliver, Hull #204, last April. Yes, I noticed the problem of sucking air at about 25%. Called Jason and wanted it modified for a fix. Answer, yes we can and will do that. When can you get here? Nice response, unsolicited.

Mistakes made, yes! Problems or break downs arise with moving equipment, you bet! (read Newton's 3rd Law of Motion) Problems taken care of by Oliver when approached, every time from my vantage point!

Thank you Oliver for building one of best or the finest trailer travel on the road today. I've owned 5 others of different brands, including Airstreams. None are even close.

• Thanks 3

Malcolm and Ursula M.

2017 Legacy Elite II Hull # 204 "Olivia"

2016 Ram 2500HD Diesel 4x4

• Administrators

I can understand your frustration and will pass along the communication issues you've addressed with our GM. We are actually in the process of hiring a couple of people that should be able to help with our communication processes. For now, if a response is not given by our Service Department in a timely manner or not at all, please contact Brent Robinson at the number above and he will be sure to follow up.

• Thanks 4

Matt Duncan

Marketing Consultant, Oliver Travel Trailers