Dexter E-Z Flex Lubrication

• Moderators

This was discussed in a previous thread on essential tools to carry but I thought I’d start a new one to make the information easier to find.

I just finished greasing my E-Z Flex. We had it added to our trailer in December, the original suspension was shot. I’ve got about 3,800 miles on the trailer since the December install. I couldn’t remember how many fittings were on each side, so I started searching the forum because I knew it was recently discussed. EIGHT!!

I found all eight, used almost a tube of grease. The guys at the factory had done a good job when they did the initial lube. A couple fittings didn’t take much grease  Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

So, based on this (and previous posts elsewhere) if he had used the 3 oz. tube, he would have used up to 5 tubes. I know that I would rather only change the tube once or not at all, while crawling on my back, under the trailer frame. My guess is the mechanical advantage of the longer handle, on the larger gun, makes the process of pumping grease into a fitting that might or might not take grease easier. Hopefully I will not have to change the tube while under the unit next time. Two reasons for this; I will not wait as long between grease jobs and I am sure the new grease gun took some of the grease to fill the pump and grease tube. And indeed there are 8 zerk fittings per side. I did find the flex hose was easier to get in and grease the 2 fittings "hiding" in the center piece. One pointing in each direction...

• Moderators
Wow that’s almost one ounce per zerk. Seems high for just a top-off at 3800 miles. Is grease working itself out around the seals?

The tube was not empty, not sure how much is left. The zerks in the middle are hard to see so I pumped until I could feel grease coming out, probably overdid it but too much is better than too little   Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• 4 weeks later...