SiriusXM Radio Install

• Moderators

I’m installing a SiriusXM receiver in our trailer. We don’t watch much TV but listen to our satellite radio when traveling. It’s a cheap way to get our favorite music stations plus some sports and news when we’re away from civilization.

I got a discontinued model from Amazon for $28, which doesn’t have the fancy color display but will be fine.  I’m putting it on the left wall in the attic next to the HDMI splitter I put in last year. I have 110v and 12v there. This receiver is powered by a mini-USB. I just ordered a 3.5mm to HDMI interface cable so I can plug it into the splitter that then goes to the Furrion. No need to run any cables.

What I'm scratching my head about is the antenna. It’s about an inch square and needs to sit on top of the trailer. I’m hesitant to drill any holes even though it would make for the cleanest installation. The wire is very thin with a standard antenna plug at the end. I looked at somehow using the Oliver light in the back but I’m not sure about breaking that seal. I could just drop it through the hole for the TV wires and then out the back window when we want to use it. Any ideas?

Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderator+

Mike, I would certainly try using the antenna on the inside of the trailer first. As you know we have had two Oliver trailers and each of them has had an XM radio system. Both of these had an exterior antenna that was installed during the build. IF you have to go the exterior route, drill a hole large enough to get the plug through. This may have to be as large as a half inch. I would drill it just behind the rear view camera, between there and the air-conditioner. Cut a 1/8th inch thick piece of steel about 1 1/2 inches square, paint it white and glue that to the roof right beside the hole. The plate will allow the magnetic antenna to stay in place. Run the plug through the hole and into the upper rear cabinet and it will be where you need it to be. Put some masking tape on the bottom of the hole and fill it from the outside with 4000.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

The next closest place is the air conditioner,  but that  would leave the wire showing from the attic to the air conditioner. Tom's got a good idea to try first or try just putting it in the window

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators
I can receive the XM singles through the fiberglass. Maybe try it in the cabinet inside first.

Good suggestion!  I did a several hour test this afternoon. With the antenna in the attic (various spots) I had reception about 70% of the time. Never had max bars. Then, I snaked it out the back window and put it on the top of the spare tire cover. Max bars, reception 100% of the time. Then I moved it to the bottom ledge of the back window, inside, and also had good reception. I’m thinking outside will be best.

Mike, I would certainly try using the antenna on the inside of the trailer first. As you know we have had two Oliver trailers and each of them has had an XM radio system. Both of these had an exterior antenna that was installed during the build. IF you have to go the exterior route, drill a hole large enough to get the plug through. This may have to be as large as a half inch. I would drill it just behind the rear view camera, between there and the air-conditioner. Cut a 1/8th inch thick piece of steel about 1 1/2 inches square, paint it white and glue that to the roof right beside the hole. The plate will allow the magnetic antenna to stay in place. Run the plug through the hole and into the upper rear cabinet and it will be where you need it to be. Put some masking tape on the bottom of the hole and fill it from the outside with 4000.

Steve, this is what I was thinking after my afternoon test. I don’t have a camera but was planning to drill on the flat part of the roof behind the Oliver sign. I was going to glue the antenna to the roof but I like the idea of the steel plate. I’ll drill some test holes in some scrap wood to see what the smallest hole that would allow the jack to slip through.

Mike

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderator+

Mike, although I have redone the way my XM antenna cord enters the body, this is the way it was done during the build.

DSC_0453.thumb.jpg.934fab497ee4e6d9dab7c31c1fe63850.jpg

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Good suggestion! I did a several hour test this afternoon. With the antenna in the attic (various spots) I had reception about 70% of the time. Never had max bars. Then, I snaked it out the back window and put it on the top of the spare tire cover. Max bars, reception 100% of the time. Then I moved it to the bottom ledge of the back window, inside, and also had good reception. I’m thinking outside will be best.

Did you try putting it underneath the insulation?  It has a metallic coating that will knock out some, but not all of the reception, so be sure to try sticking the antenna  underneath the insulation in the attic first to see what the reception is.  I just got Oliver to move my spot trace from where they had it on the roof to a more secure location inside, and it seems to be doing just fine.

• Moderators
Mike, although I have redone the way my XM antenna cord enters the body, this is the way it was done during the build.

Steve, this is where I was thinking about putting the antenna. Thanks for the pic!

Did you try putting it underneath the insulation? It has a metallic coating that will knock out some, but not all of the reception, so be sure to try sticking the antenna underneath the insulation in the attic first to see what the reception is. I just got Oliver to move my spot trace from where they had it on the roof to a more secure location inside, and it seems to be doing just fine.

Tomorrow I’ll test it between the insulation and the hull. I didn’t think there was any metal in that white insulation.  If your spot works back there then the reception must be adequate and should work for a radio.

• Moderators

Did you try putting it underneath the insulation? It has a metallic coating that will knock out some, but not all of the reception, so be sure to try sticking the antenna underneath the insulation in the attic first to see what the reception is. I just got Oliver to move my spot trace from where they had it on the roof to a more secure location inside, and it seems to be doing just fine.

Bingo!  I pulled the insulation back and sure enough there is foil on the top side. After I put the antenna on top of the insulation my reception went way up and had no drops in an hour of listening. So, I just used a piece of duct tape to tape the antenna to the fiberglass bottom of the roof behind the Oliver sign and then repositioned the insulation. Mike

• Thanks 2

• 1 year later...

Hi...I glued mine to lower edge of the over head cabinets between the windshield and cabinet. It works fair, but not as its full potential. Reportedly the fiberglass cap isn’t a detriment. It has been there 3 years.
But, today I am fishing cables thru the roof for changing my satellite from Direct TV to Dish. I will also fish a new XM Antenna at the same time.

order pcb

Edited by TateStiroh

I managed to keep our two old XM Roady 2’s from our former long distance dual sport motorcycling days. I hope that someday we can get XM set up in the Ollie we now have on order. Look forward to seeing a few XM set ups when we attend the May rally. 

-Patriot

3243A991-2809-4086-9F2B-F468BFF0BCF0.jpeg

Edited by Patriot

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg