Handy bleach container for sterilizing fresh water

Using regular plain (unscented, no additives) household bleach, you can sterilize your fresh water. Note, this is not the dose for a shock treatment, rather it is the dose needed to treat suspect water that you intend to fill your tank with, and leave it there.

I was looking for a compact storage solution, and I found a 4 ounce squeeze bottle and a small shot-glass style measuring cup from a cough syrup bottle.

Conventional recommendation is 2 teaspoons per 10 gallons. Unless you bake, you may not find measuring spoons lying around....  I converted tsps to milliliters (ccs) and to my delight, 2 tsps = 9.9 ml. So 10 gallons of water needs 10 ml of bleach.

My little shot glass is graduated 5 ml increments, which means 5 gallon increments.

4F0245E8-09A0-4241-A26C-D8786DF0F8D3.thumb.jpeg.6efb8453d030a9905ead9df21636ddcc.jpeg

Plus it nests neatly on top of the bottle:

7430562B-087A-4B5A-9190-3C434EE1CD93.thumb.jpeg.79971d6f0c0c82c9a255cc6565d709e2.jpeg

From looking at different websites, this amount is on the high end, so I would not add any more....

I have never tried this before, I think pouring the small amount into your uncharged fresh water hose, after your filter, then connecting it to the tank fill port, would be a painless and quick method. Any thoughts about how to get the bleach into the tank, other than using the suction port?

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

How about a pvc pipe with a tee before the tank fill inlet.  Point the leg of the tee up and make it long enough to hold the needed amount chlorine.  Add a threaded cap.  Also keep in mind that chlorine comes in different concentrations with household chlorine being about 5% and typical pool chlorine being 8 to 10 %.  You can usually smell the chlorinated water before you can taste it.

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• Moderators

Mark,

The Oliver doesn't have a gravity fill port.  The only two ways of getting fluids into the Oliver are either via the "winterization" suction port or the water tank fill port (via a pressurized water source).  Of course there is also the "city water" port but that bypasses the onboard fresh water tank.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

I have never tried this before, I think pouring the small amount into your uncharged fresh water hose, after your filter, then connecting it to the tank fill port, would be a painless and quick method. Any thoughts about how to get the bleach into the tank, other than using the suction port?

John, that is what I do when I want to get some bleach in the fresh tank. Connect the hose, pour some bleach into the hose, then connect to faucet and fill the the tank. Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Question for all: Speaking of filling tanks, is it feasible, utilizing the on-board suction system, to re-charge the Ollie tank from a 30 gallon barrel located in the back of a truck bed? I have a couple on hand I use for water transport/storage.I’m thinking the siphoning effect and on-board pump system should easily work. If this works, I’m dragging along 60 gallons of our well water when I pick the OTT up. Please any who wish, let me know your thoughts. Mark

Mark, that will not be a problem, you should probably use a short 3/4 hose and park the truck bed right next to the rear suction port for best flow rate. I know of several Ollie owners who use bladders or portable tanks for topping up. That is exactly what the system is designed for....

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/water-bladder-bags/

Carrying 500+ pounds of water will settle the back of your big truck a little, which is probably a good thing.

Excited much?

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

Personally, I love the look of the tanks, but I wouldn't want all that weight rear of the axle in my truck.

We always try to carry the heaviest items forward of the rear axle.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.