Towel hook and bar

Townesw

I tried the search function but couldn't find an answer. What is the brand of the towel hook and towel bar that Oliver is currently putting in our trailers?

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

Personally, the towel bar is crap... It falls off easily. It works OK for towels but one slight pull and down it goes. I've thought about changing it out but we don't use it anyway being that it puts a wet towel against your shoulder. The strong curtain rod over the door option that we bought works great and is securely bolted in place. I use it as a grab bar also and then we have drying clothes on hangers on it. So we don't use it for a curtain rod, but as a towel rod/ closet pole/ grab bar it is really a great addition.

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II

• Moderators

Interesting... our towel bar isn’t crap and really works well as a towel bar. It hasn’t fallen off and is still tightly mounted. We also have a command hook above it for the microfiber towel we use to wipe down the shower after we squeegee. Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Our towel bar is less than perfect. We have had to put it back together several times. It is such that we make sure there are no towels on it while traveling. The little plastic tab doesn't seem quite right to hold it on. It is our top to do item when the weather warms, is to find a"cure".

• Moderators

This almost sounds like we are talking "apples and oranges". I agree with Mike in that Moen makes fairly decent products that are guaranteed for life. So, no crap here with the towel bar. But, mine doesn't have a "little plastic tab" - just a bar inserted into two mounts that are firmly attached to the bathroom wall. Am I missing something?

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Yours may have an older mount. If it's metal, then it is. The ones in our trailer had plastic mounts. Ours held fine, but looking at the hardware, I can't tell why it would. It's basically a compression fit and theres a single plastic tab that is supposed to lock them in, but it wasn't engaged on probably half the ones I removed. But the fit was tight enough that none of them moved. Maybe over time they would, and certainly if one is loose from the get go it isn't going to get any tighter. The odd thing is that they have these metal hooks on both sides that as far as I can tell don't do anything.

We replaced all of ours just for the looks. We thought what Oliver supplied was fine, but a bit too froufrou for our tastes. We found some art deco hooks and modern towel bars at House of Antique Hardware, and I think they go much better with the trailer.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

Overland and Canoe -

I thought that we may have had a case of Apples and Oranges, but ...

I happened go over to see Twist yesterday afternoon and I specifically took a look at the towel bar. I had always just assumed that the little hole on the bottom of the "posts" at the end of the bar were where one would insert the usual Allen wrench to tighten and/or loosen that piece from the mounting bracket underneath. Wrong! Indeed there is a little (white) tab in that hole that is obviously the release tab for the "post". I didn't take it apart (leave a sleeping dog alone) but the whole assembly is firmly attached to the wall - as are the similar ones for the hooks inside and outside the bath.

When I came home I pulled up the Moen website and found the installation guide for these puppies.

https://www.moen.com/products/Brantford/Brantford_Chrome_18_towel_bar/YB2218CH

Basically a plastic mounting bracket is screwed into the wall and then the "post" (outside piece) is pushed over it until an audible "snap" or "click" is heard. Assuming that the mounting bracket was installed properly, I can't see where there would be a problem. However, if the mounting plate wasn't tight enough to the wall or was too tight to the wall then the whole assembly would be loose or one would not hear the "snap" when putting the post over that plate. Therefore, the first thing I would do if I had a problem with mine would be to take the post off the mounting plate and inspect that plate for proper mounting and make adjustments as necessary. If that didn't work, I'd call Moen and ask for help.

Given the design and the intended purpose it certainly appears to me that these items were made and sold to be Towel Bars. They are not robust enough to be grab bars, lift bars, safety bars, etc. and were never designed for those purposes.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Oliver caulks all of the accessories in addition to screwing them to the fiberglass. Judging from the feel of it, I assume they use the same 3M marine sealant they use everywhere else. That stuff is incredibly strong - enough so that I think the screws are mostly to hold the pieces in place while it dries.

So I doubt if any of the mounting plates are loose, though it's worth checking of course. If they don't snap in place, it's probably poor manufacturing tolerances and some pieces just fit too loosely.