License plate hold open

It's easier to remove and install the spare tire cover if you stick something about 2-1/2 inches long in the spot where we used to put our gas cap (while filling up) when the gas fill tube was located under the car's license plate (years ago).

IMG_17271.thumb.jpg.5b27e803ccb2097cffc73fb1e2779c14.jpg

IMG_17281.thumb.jpg.20f619f4186a5809e22abd7b715a6cfc.jpg

IMG_17301.thumb.jpg.1d29487f5bef183ec4bec979de65e54d.jpg

• Thanks 4

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

• Moderators

Why make removing the spare tire cover easier?  I enjoy the heck out of getting my hand slapped by that overgrown mouse trap.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I am still looking for a way to lock the spare tire by replacing the big nut on the outside…Anyone have any ideas or found a lock?

Not sure what that tread size is but I've used McGard outboard motor locks for similar applications. You might be able to use one as either a jam, or replacement for the hand nut.

There are a number of tread options:

https://shop.mcgard.com/products/marine/outboard-motor-locks

• Thanks 2

• Moderators

The spare tire all thread is 5/8"x11 thread. I have thought about drilling a hole through the all thread and using a small padlock. Might keep the opportunistic thieves at bay. But Bill brings up a good point, I rarely pass up an opportunity to have my hand slapped.?

• Thanks 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”