Elite II Coupler height

BackofBeyond

Concerning a 2018 or so Elite II an anyone tell me the height in inches from ground level to top of hitch, with the unit at a level position. I have read several posts, most with competing information on this subject. I can figure out from there my ball height. With about four different trailers all with different weights, I'm, sure I've got something that will work. Thanks in advance.

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

Our trailer is still in storage but when we picked up Anita send us this info:

Ball Mount with 2" Ball and the Height should be approximately 23.5" from the ground to the top of the Ball. (Unless you have purchased the Anderson weight distribution and sway control hitch: Its included.)

• Thanks 1

Yvonne & Doug

2017 Legacy Elite II, twin bed

Hull #223

2017 Ford F-250 Lariat, crew cab

My 2018 OEII is sitting level on a level shop floor. Here is a picture of the hitch. I would say 23.5 inches from ground to top of a 2 inch ball would be correct.

IMG_1824.thumb.jpg.914beedbac3ab362aae1a434b765cc3b.jpg

• Thanks 2

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

What is your tow vehicle? Dually vs HD vs Half Ton vs SUV... the payload rating makes a world of difference.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Thanks John, I fully understand that. I haven't decided on which vehicle I will use as a TV. I may use my 1500 GMC truck at first, and later sample my Transit van. If the van doesn't work out, I'll do something else. I regularly tow heavy loads with the truck, but it is not something I want to tow across the country, many times, (it has done that and more), the van would be perfect, but it will be at the upper end of the GVWR, and tow rating. So I'll experiment. It all depends on actual tongue weights and how the van sits, it has plenty of power/torque, and factory tow package. With the truck, it will be slight drop down, with the van, I'll need to go up a good bit. If it doesn't work out, I'll get something else, probably a GMC 2500 duramax, double cab. (My third and most expensive option) In the mean time, I'm gonna sample my van hooked to a 16' twin axle trailer, with my tractor loaded with a disk. Head to a scale, if it handles well, and see where I'm at. If it ever quits raining....

Cindy and Russell,

Our 2016 Toyota 5.7L 4X4 Tundra's top of ball to ground measurement is 22.5" before connecting to Ollie. Ollie's tongue weight is around 450lbs and trailer weight (empty water tanks) about 4950lbs without WDH in this photo. We keep Ollie's weight low by transporting extra gear in the pickup bed and pickup's back seat area. Most E2s ready to camp weights are heavier than our Ollie.

IMG_1915-L.jpg

Hope this helps!

• Thanks 1

LE2

Our top of ball height on our Anderson hitch is 23.25 and 24.25 on our standard hitch.

We also have a 2016 Tundra but I have installed Sumo springs and with the Anderson there is no drop when hooked up and about 3/4" drop on the standard hitch. Our trailer weights 5260 loaded without any water in tanks and tounge weight is 480.

I was told 23.5 to 24.5 by Oliver.

• Thanks 1

ABNBNSPEALARCOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMSMOMTNENHNMNYNCOHOKPARISCSDTNTXUTVTVAWVWYmed.jpg

Tom & Cheryl 

LE II #305

2018 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax

Thank You to all that have replied. One side benefit of this thread is I have finally accepted that my EII will probably have a normal tow weight approaching 6klbs. The height issue becomes somewhat moot, I'll tow with my current truck, or change TV later. Does give me reason to do a little work on the well used GMC. Thanks again.

• 3 months later...

So I can understand this, Oliver wants my hitch ball measured at 23.5" from the ball top to the ground. Now do I need to set two big guys (500lbs.) on the back of the pickup box and measure to get to the 23.5" top ball height, or is this before the 500lbs. added to get the 23.5". 500lbs. is estimating the tong weight.

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

So I can understand this, Oliver wants my hitch ball measured at 23.5″ from the ball top to the ground. Now do I need to set two big guys (500lbs.) on the back of the pickup box and measure to get to the 23.5″ top ball height, or is this before the 500lbs. added to get the 23.5″. 500lbs. is estimating the tong weight.

trainman

Its before you hook the trailer to it.

ABNBNSPEALARCOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMSMOMTNENHNMNYNCOHOKPARISCSDTNTXUTVTVAWVWYmed.jpg

Tom & Cheryl 

LE II #305

You're on the right track (so to speak). Get two 250 pounders to sit on your tailgate. Then set your ball height as close to 23.5" as possible, but not less than.

The 23.5" has been measured with the trailer frame level, which is the ideal for towing.

So I can understand this, Oliver wants my hitch ball measured at 23.5″ from the ball top to the ground. Now do I need to set two big guys (500lbs.) on the back of the pickup box and measure to get to the 23.5″ top ball height, or is this before the 500lbs. added to get the 23.5″. 500lbs. is estimating the tong weight.

trainman

Its before you hook the trailer to it.

Actually, 23.5 is what your ball “should” measure when the truck is connected to the trailer, ready to tow. How much higher it sits disconnected is the quandry, and it depends entirely on your truck model and hitch used. You can get close by guessing, but may have to do some tweaking to get the trailer riding close to level. An adjustable ball mount is useful, as is air suspension or rear airbags.

51DFD3E4-C7C3-4CAE-8A1E-BEA8008A7021.thumb.jpeg.c6afc2652e943aa5f6c5a27f7891a05f.jpeg

That is with the Anderson and 12 psi in the bags to bring the truck’s butt up to level. It rides great and looks right...

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

The trailer should be level with all the gear you will be taking already loaded in the TV and the trailer all geared up with water, propane and supplies, ready to go.   It does not have to be exactly level and an inch high or low will not matter.  But if it's low, there is more of a chance you'll scrape the jack or the bottom of the hitch.  Coming home, the trailer might be abit lighter and ride a bit high in the front.  No problem.

So hook it up and see where it comes out, with all your gear and supplies aboard.  If it's 3" low, get a stinger that raises it 3" and you are good to go.  If it's about an inch low, get a tall ball.

I have a 3" drop stinger on my TV and a sandard ball.  The trailer rides slightly low in front when fully laden and ready to go.  This corrects slightly as we come home with less water, firewood and propane, etc.  It also means that if we stop for at a rest stop, I can simply lift the front a bit with the tongue jack, without disconnecting, to level it out.

I just weighed my LE2 and it came out at 5,600 lbs.  So, in theory, a 560 lb tongue weight.  Mine measured out at 570 and was probably 30 lbs lighter than when we left home.  Maybe I should move the cases of water and other drinks out of the closet and into the truck.  Of course, lightening the tongue and adding weight to the truck won't change the ball height much.  It's hard to lighten the tongue on an Oliver unless you add weight at the rear bumper, or extend the tongue.

• Thanks 1

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

It basically depends on your vehicle. 3/4 or 1 ton truck will not drop much, a SUV or medium size pickup may have a lot of rear end drop when attached to the trailer. WDH hitch or no WDH hitch? If your using a WDH hitch it should bring the back of the vehicle up some if not all the way. 23.5" is a starting point like was mentioned above. Mine is at 23" and is level when towing but we have a 3/4 ton truck. With our old Tundra it was also at 23" and was level with a WDH. Oliver says 23.5"-24.5" but I find that too high for me. They set our hitch at 24.5" when we picked up our trailer and I had to lower it because the front of the trailer was high. Its better to have the front a little low then high. High in the front could cause sway.

Figure 500 lbs of tongue weight until you know for sure. Ours is 480.

John E uses rear airbags to raise the vehicle as he mentioned but I don't think you will find very many people use them now days or find them necessary. We had Sumo springs on our Tundra to help. They make them for most trucks and you might want to read about them. They will help with the sag.

There are many ways to skin this cat.

Tom & Cheryl 

LE II #305