Spam Attack

KountryKamper

• Moderators

WOW! Right you are - were. Looks like Jason and/or Matt got on it and things are getting back to normal.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Canoe12, that back door is only open to mods on mobile devices.

I missed the whole thing... Busy today. Thanks, Matt and Jason.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Administrators

Had another attack this morning. They can register as anyone else can. New users are required to activate their account by clicking a link in their email, which tells me that it most like a human and not a bot doing it. If it continues we will tighten up the spam controls.

• Thanks 3

Matt Duncan

Marketing Consultant, Oliver Travel Trailers

Back when I ran a small forum 10+ years ago I had to battle with the spammers. Eventually I realized that most of the spam traffic came from Russia, Africa, or South America. The website had no need to reach folks outside of the US or Canada so I blocked the entire Class A and/or B networks belonging to countries outside of North America. Cut the spam overnight by 99%.

That might not work here since this is a business but just trying to help.

FYI requiring users to follow a link in an e-mail will not stop all bots from registering. It definitely helps but as we are seeing, not necessarily enough.

2018 OLEII #344   |   2018 Ford Expedition

AZCACOGAKSMONMTNWYsm.jpg

• Administrators
The website had no need to reach folks outside of the US or Canada so I blocked the entire Class A and/or B networks belonging to countries outside of North America. Cut the spam overnight by 99%.

Yes we will probably implement blocking IP addresses outside US & Canada.. or maybe specific countries. If they are on a proxy server they can hide their actual location and be where ever they want to be. We will get it worked out.

Did anyone receive spam emails from the spammers? Probably Microsoft or Norton Security related. If so, please private message me and I'd like to have it forwarded to me. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

Matt Duncan

Marketing Consultant, Oliver Travel Trailers

• 2 weeks later...

Matt, just a few minutes ago I was replying to a post where i quoted kayrae & inserted a jpeg. Before submitting, I noticed several norton terms were in the Tags field. (I deleted them.) I dont know if that means anything behind the scenes but FYI, in case it does.

Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL