Lagun Table Side Mount Retrofit in Twin Bed Elite 2

Overland

If anyone wants to make the block I made, here's the list of pieces you'd need to order:

#3075 Extrusion, 24"

#4303 Bracket, 4 pieces

#4302 Bracket, 2 pieces

#3320 Bolt Assembly, 14 pieces

You'll also need some stainless ¼" or 5/16" bolts to fix the block to the hull.  I think most can be 1" or 1.25" long but you'll need two 3" bolts for the two vertical ones that go through the bed extension.  I used lock nuts and large fender washers to spread the load against the fiberglass.  I also cut off all the bolt ends around the bed side with a dremel and cutoff disk and filed them smooth so not to damage the mattress or cushions.

• Thanks 4
  • Like 7

• Moderators

Beautiful job, overland. Just what the Lagun was designed to do. But, on a land yacht...

Congratulations.

Sherry

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

That is an excellent execution of a great idea. Thank you for the thorough instructions.

Edited by mossemi
Typo
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

Beautiful job, overland. Just what the Lagun was designed to do. But, on a land yacht…

Congratulations.

Sherry

When I was a kid, the family car was a big Ford LTD, so I have a soft spot for land yachts. That car was a little bigger than our Ollie of course.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Overland

The design and install are great work. I was about to commit to the Lagun Table for my build starting in May and changed it up and am cancelling the factory option and have ordered the table and Lagun mount as well as the parts from 80/20. Just in time advice (JITA). Thanks for sharing and your technical expertise.

I noted in the pictures the Lagun mount was positioned so that the rear table edge was close to the night stand when the table axis is centered mid ship. Would be so kind as to post the dimension from night stand to center of mount.

Thanks

Roadrunner

Roadrunner

Legacy Elite II Hull # TB, / TV :White 2017 Ford F250 Super Duty Platinum

Can do - hopefully later today. If all you want is to center the table then the location of the mount isn't all that important, since you don't need to mount the table top in the exact center of the pivot. You'll actually get the most versatility out of the table the farther off axis you place the top. That way you can spin the top around for different positions. I'd concentrate more on keeping the leg as far out of the way as possible. Of course the closer to centered you mount the top, the more stable it will be. You'll have to experiment. How I set mine was to clamp the mount in place in different positions while experimenting with the placement of the top. I was hoping to get a position that would allow me to turn the table sideways so that it could be used as a desk over the bed for someone leaning against the pantry. I couldn't get it that far forward without the leg getting in the way (maybe it will work with some extra pillows as support), so I settled on a position that allows it to center in front of the nightstand lengthways when open, and crossways when closed, so that it could be used at 'bar height' with plenty of room in front by the beds. Here's an action shot of the table in full cocktail bar mode -

IMG_0781.thumb.jpg.5ade69581488f467a03707d88232b1c3.jpg

And, uh, we don't really drink that much.  I just like to be prepared, you know.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 7 months later...

Thanks Overland.  Nope we cut down a twin 3" natural latex foam mattress topper.  We added the same foam on top of the standard cushions to create our mattresses.

We tried to roll and tie them but that was sloppy, then the "roll and tuck" approach presented itself.  Takes a little elbow grease and having not too tiny hands helps.

• Thanks 1

Mark B

LEII Twin hull #391

2013 Tundra

• 2 months later...

Did you have the regular table installed before making this modification?  I noticed the floor mounting bracket in front of the small hatch access and the table leg next to the custom mount you constructed.  Just curious if you were using both or just decided to go with the new folding boat table?  Fabulous design and work on this project!

V/R,

Steve Dolak

Hi Steve,

I think you might be asking about the original post from Overland but you are responding to my post.  In any event, we did not order any factory installed table.  We ordered the access hatch to the basement instead.  Then we used Overland's approach (you might have seen the floor table mount in his pictures above) to mount the lagun table bracket under the driver's side bed.

Cheers,

Mark

Mark B

LEII Twin hull #391

2013 Tundra

Yes, we started off with the king bed table in a twin bed.  That was a hare brained idea of mine that Jason tried to talk me out of.  It worked O.K., but I should have listened because the table is heavy and bulky and I could never find a place to store it when it wasn't set up.  So in practice it was awkward and it didn't make it past the first trip.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Hi Mark,

You're absolutely correct, my apologies!  Happy you responded though as I did come across your modification and Blog...very nicely done!  Did you make the Laguna mount yourself or did you get that from Overland?

V/R,

Steve

Thanks for the reply Overland...much appreciated!  I've been torn between ordering the King bed or the Twin bed version for the past year, but am glad I came across your post and reply that you would recommend the Twin bed version especially with your Laguna Table modification that gives you the extra table space when required.  Beautiful work on the project by the way!  By any chance, are you making and selling this Luguna mount that you created?  I really think many of us out here would be interested in this mount if it were available...me included!

V/R,

Steve

Good morning Overlander!

Do you look into any other options for a table between your twin beds  (i.e. telescoping table) with permanent or removable base?

Regarding your custom mount for your Laguna table, is there any chance you can forward some more detailed photos to me or better yet, provide me with a mechanical drawing so I can have one of my machinist friends construct one for me?

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter.

V/R,

Steve

I'll see if I can't get out there today and measure the width and depth for you, which is really all anyone would need.  The width isn't so important, provided you have enough to bolt through without getting into the corner brackets.  I think that the table comes with a template for drilling the holes - if not, you can use the table mount itself as a template.   The depth also will have some variability since I'm sure not every bed overhang gets riveted in exactly the same spot.  However, there's also come play in the end brackets since they can slide out if needed.  It's only a question of everything looking flush.  The base of the bed isn't 100% perpendicular anyway (very little on the tailer is), so you'll have a bit of a gap at the top.  I honestly don't remember if I tried to account for that or not.  The angle is slight and you'd have to crawl on the floor to see it, but there are definitely owners here (including me), who'd stress over that, lol.

I know it looks kind of complicated, but really it's only four cuts on a miter saw and two holes.

• Thanks 1

My bracket is 5 3/16" deep by 8 ¼" wide.

About the other table styles, yes, I looked at the marine pedestal tables, but I thought that the Lagun was more versatile and easier to remove.  And as it turns out, we don't ever take it down - we have good access to the beds with the table folded, and since my wife sleeps facing the wrong direction she uses it as her nightstand.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...

Once we pick up our Oliver, one of the first improvements will be this table mount.  Following is a good price for the complete table mounting system, in case someone else is thinking about this mod.  Now $138, was $235.  https://www.rv-table-mount.com/shop  This product excludes the table top.  

Thanks for the great idea and instructions.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Jason and Sonja are located in western Wyoming near Pinedale, WY.

Oliver Elite II #609 (2020)

TV: 2017 Ram 3500

Hi we made this modification using Overland's instructions.  I finished installing the mounting the bracket last Saturday.  We made one slight modification in that I added aluminum backing plates. (overkill).  I am having a folding table made out of mahogany by a local craftsman.  I hope to install the table top this weekend.  I believe this project will really enhance the usability of our trailer.  Thanks Overland you came up with a terrific idea and execution.  

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5