Lagun Table Side Mount Retrofit in Twin Bed Elite 2

Overland

• Moderators

I'm looking forward to seeing the photos, too. Have to say, I'm always a bit jealous when I see another Lagun table install. 🤫

This year's budget and time is devoted to solar upgrades and maintenance projects on the boat and the trailer. But, I  would so love a 24 inch table that folds out to 48 in the small dinette, that I  could elevate and use as a counterheight work station when prepping or working on projects. Plus, I  would love to add a wood tabletop, vs the original black fiberglass top.

One of these days, maybe Santa will figure it out. 🎅

Sherry 

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some photos. When we travel we fold up the top and lower it on top of the bed and tighten up the adjustments. I surround the top with bed pillows incase vibration loosens the adjusters.  That has not happened.  We have the table set up all of the time.  Overland did a great job with this.  Thanks for sharing.  Our custom table is a little bit narrower than Overland's.  We mocked up the size we wanted using cardboard.  

20200203_103425.jpg

20200203_103319.jpg

20200203_103319.jpg

20200202_173624.jpg

20200202_173517.jpg

20200202_173440.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Like 4
  • Love 3

• Moderators

Mattnan, your table is beautiful !  Great installation,  and your local craftsman is just that--a true craftsman. The bookmatched grain is so lovely. What finish did he/you use on the tabletop? Does he usually work on boats?

Thanks for the photos. I think I'll go sit in the trailer to finish my coffee, and try to figure out how we could do this in the small dinette area, someday. (Sigh)

Sherry 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Hi, Thanks for the nice comments.  As I am responding,we are camping at James Island campground 4 miles to Charleston, SC.  This is a terrific place with very friendly folks.  This is our first stop on a 4 month trip that will lead us to the Keys, Florida gulf coast, New Orleans, Natchez, Nashville, the Oliver Rally then back to our home in mid-coast Maine a summer on the ocean and boating.  This is our first trip.  So far it is a blast.

Our local craftsman obtained the mahogany from a local wooden lobster boat and lobster yacht builder, Peter Cass the owner of John's Bay Boats.  They are located near our home.   Our craftsman has a relationship and has done a number of projects for Pete Cass.  Our craftsman did a terrific job on our home update and new barn.  He is truly a craftsman.  Great guy.  He did use marine varnish.  It takes a while to cure and harden.  We are very pleased with the results.

I am hoping enough people keep posting about adding the Lagun table on the side and Oliver makes it a option.  I have seen some beautiful craftsmanship added to the Lagun set up.  Very nice! 

• Like 2

Erv & Sherry  Hull # 650

2022  Platinum SD 250 Tremor. 7.3 Godzilla

ALARFLGAILKYMSMONENCSCSDTNWVmed.jpg

Mattnan, I really like how this turned out. Very nice, it totally compliments your Ollie, great job!

Necessity is the mother of invention.

-David 

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

• Moderators
13 hours ago, Nan said:

Sherry, Foy is making me a wooden dinette top to match the rest of the wood in the camper.

Hi, Nan.

I want to find a way to do the lagun mount in the small dinette, that won't be in the way, and will allow me to use the small dinette tabletop as a standup , counterheight, foldout top for prep and work.  I think i may have figured it out.

The issue is the small space, and no access for backing plate and bolts on an older trailer on the street side. Our south side compartment is chock full of electronics,chargers, etc.. I  may be able to mount it on the north side,  outboard, and still have room for our legs under the table. We keep the big dinette set up as a bed. The small dinette is our only indoor table.

Maybe, Another few mornings of coffee in the trailer,  thinking and sketching, will get me there.  And then, time .

This year, we're upgrading 200 watts of solar on the trailer to 400, and adding 600 watts solar and a hardtop bimini  to the boat. We've exhausted time, mostly on the boat, with solar and a dozen other repairs and upgrades to our 40 year old fiberglass boat. And, weve had dozens of northern houseguests-friends and family- very welcome visitors who have interrupted the processes, but we wouldn't have it any other way. 

I'll look forward to your photos of Foy's table top. He does such beautiful work! We're so fortunate to have him in our group. 

Sherry 

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 1 month later...

Overland,

As hopeful Oliver owners, we are struggling with the decision between the Standard and the Twin LEII.  One of the reasons is that we often camp with friends and our camper would probably be the gathering place for indoor activities when the weather does not allow, for example, a rousing game of dominoes.

The Standard floorplan with the large table would meet that need quite well, but as others have mentioned there are drawbacks to that layout.

This modification seems to bridge the gab between the two options, allowing you to have your cake and eat it to.

I do have a question for you.  Do you ever use the lagun table with visitors in your camper?

How well does that work?

Does it feel like you are sitting on the edge of a bed when you are sitting around the table?

Thanks!

When we had mattresses, it did just feel like sitting on the bed, so it was ok but not perfect. Once we swapped out our mattresses for cushions, however, that changed and it feels like true sitting area. It’s a little tight on the street side for two, since the leg of the table takes up some space, but it works. The curb side is fine for two. So I’d say it’s perfect for two or three, a little cozy for four, and doesn’t work at all for five or more.

We haven’t tried it, but I don’t see why you couldn’t use a camp chair in the aisle for someone, so long as the chair is tall enough. 

Heres a photo of how it looks now with the cushions:

AFB5659F-E194-443D-A4BC-245D820C2856.thumb.jpeg.836812287a6753b494c96a235b50ccf0.jpeg

Edited by Overland
  • Thanks 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Overland said:

Once we swapped out our mattresses for cushions, however, that changed and it feels like true sitting area

Thanks for that post. Sorry if this has been asked before. Do you use anything to supplement the cushions for sleeping?  A memory foam topper?  Or something similar. 

• Like 1

Still experimenting.  Our cushions are a good bit firmer than what Oliver supplies, and we’ve found them to be great for sitting but a bit too firm for sleeping.  They’re very comfortable with a thick zero degree sleeping bag used as a topper, but those are a bit bulky to store.  I’ll probably just get some softer foam inserts for the bottom cushions...someday.  I think what Oliver supplies is a little too soft, so something in between is what I’d like. 

You’ll notice in the photo that we had extra back cushions made.  Those or some throw pillows are essential since otherwise you lean back too far.  You could have back cushions made that are double thick, but we like having one layer of cushions in place when we sleep since the side walls can get cold at night.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

We have an older LE I, with the firm cushions. We used a "down alternative" thick topper for 8 or 9 years, and changed up to a 1.5 inch memory foam topper a few seasons ago. Great sleeping with the firm support, plus memory foam. 

If I ever have to replace the cushions, I'll probably do what I did with the boat cushions. They're three or four inches of firm foam, with a one or one and a half inch layer of memory foam glued to the top. Best of both worlds. No topper, comfortable seating, and comfortable sleeping as well.

Sherry

Edited by SeaDawg
Typos
  • Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Overland said:

We haven’t tried it, but I don’t see why you couldn’t use a camp chair in the aisle for someone, so long as the chair is tall enough. 

Back in the day, Airstream sold some pretty cool wooden "Legomatic" folding chairs for their trailers. I still see them once in awhile on ebay, etsy, and some mid century resale sites. 

They would probably fit in that aisle, as they have a fairly narrow seat and footprint. They fold flat to something like 18 x 6 x 16. I use mine as extra chairs when we have a big group for dinner at home. Never tried it in the trailer.

Mine are still rocking that 60s gold marble look vinyl seat upholstery. 😄

20200329_083418.jpg

20200329_083121.jpg

Edited by SeaDawg
  • Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

I got so busy finishing my project before trying to see some spring training baseball early in the month that I neglected to post my pics.  Thanks Overland and ALL for the suggestions.  I initially fabricated a bigger table top but it was bigger than I needed and the finish didn't come out as hoped, so ended up buying a workbench top from Home Depot.  I was able to use it on my 13 day trip from home in Colorado to Mesa, AZ and back.  Very happy with the results.  Since it is just me in the trailer, the size works.  If there were 2, perhaps a bit to small.

PS - saw spring training game Tuesday.  Wednesday rained out.  Thursday rained out and minutes later got word that MLB had cancelled the rest of the spring training season due to the COVID-19.  😞     There's always next year!  Go Rockies!

E6677BB9-5C8C-41B6-AD36-75D63147A3CE.heic 6D37C146-D66F-4FDE-B970-4CDEF60C6D96.heic

• Like 3

Chuck,

The table looks great. I hope you don't mind, I re-posted the pictures in a format that more people will be able to view online without having to download them.

pic2.jpg

pic1.jpg

Edited by beaker
typo
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...
On 3/6/2019 at 1:07 PM, Overland said:

Oh you’re not talking me into that!  But I promise if I were retired I’d make them for everyone.

I'm saving this post . . . .  you'll retire some day 😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

?? TWO Lagun Base mounts : both curb and street  side ??

Has anyone (with the wonderful Overland designed Lagun base for Oliver Twin beds) installed TWO mounts for positioning table mount either on curb or the street side ?? All photos I have seen so far show it mounted on the street side

We are just finishing up our build list for spring 2021 delivery of a Elite_II and as we prepare to order parts for a self install of Overland table base we wonder should we make two base mounts (right and left). The Lagun table is AMAZING and after about 15,000 miles in a teardrop with a Lagun we are huge fans. Being able to switch the mount from one side to the other seems worth thinking about . . . . . . . . . . 

'There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us,it doesn't behoove any of us to speak evil of the rest of us'

> 2021 OTT EII , TAB Teardrop has good home after 10,000 miles of pleasant learning <

• Moderators

Enough people asked for that idea that Lagunusa sells an additional mounting bracket, $38. Or, you can buy the kit with an additional bracket, from the onset.

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 1 month later...
On 12/10/2018 at 5:03 AM, mlb3820 said:

Well it's time for us to weigh in on this mod.  With inspiration from overland we went ahead and made a similar retrofit in our Oliver, with a twist.  We now have a table/desk as well as a twin bed bridge.

I give the complete details here on our website.

IMG_2223.thumb.jpg.8ded4ef7dc79ee65b571f48a2d0c31fe.jpg

@mlb3820 Do you have the instructions for this mod posted online anymore? Do you still use the same setup?

spacer.png