OLIVER OWNERS: V-8s or 6 cylinders?

carolann

Hi, you 33 lucky Oliver owners!! I'm starting to look for my towmobile and I'm thinking a 6-cylinder might be better on gas than an 8. Wondering what everyone is pulling the Oliver with... Are you all V-8s? Small 8s or big 8s? Anything in size 6? Size 4???

Also, any recommendations about AWD/4WD versus 2WD?

I'm buying used so I can have more money to spend on Ollie options. :D

Thanks much!

CarolAnn

• Moderators

V6 2008 Tacoma 2WD - 6500lb tow rating - 17.5 mpg towing (@ 55-60mph, level terrain)

I selected 2WD to save weight and improve mileage - don't plan on much back country / off road activity (or climbing up a steeeeep mountain to watch the sunrise . . . :shock: )

Pete & "Bosker".    TV -  '18 F150 Super-cab Fx4; RV  - "The Wonder Egg";   '08 Elite, Hull Number 014.

Travel blog of 1st 10 years' wanderings - http://www.peteandthewonderegg.blogspot.com

visited-united-states-map (2).pngvisited-canadian-provinces-map.png

ABBCMBNBNLNSONPEQCSKYTALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMOMTNENVNHNJNMNYNCNDOHOKORPAPRSCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYsm.jpg

Our tow vehicle is a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 4wd, which is a diesel 4-cyl with a 5000 lb tow rating.

We've been getting about 15-17 mpg when towing the Oliver thus far (on the rare times we're not towing, we get about 24-26). We're in mountain area now (just south of Salt Lake City), and it's doing pretty good. We've not yet gone off-roading due to our time constraints to get west, but I imagine we will soon.

• Moderators

We have towed our Oliver with the five cylinder Volvo XC90, (all wheel drive, small engine... 2.6), two wheel drive Silverado half ton with the big V8, and most recently, our new Ram 1500 4wd quad cab, big V8. Looks like mileage is about the same with both trucks. Only a few trips with the Volvo, because most of our traveling has been in the mountains, and we like the extra power of the V8s in the trucks on the steep grades. I think choices on the tow vehicle depend a lot on where you live, where you want to go, what you carry, and in our case at least.... what you already own. Both of the vehicles we owned when we bought the Oliver were capable tow vehicles, and that made us very happy. The deal we got on the Ram a few weeks ago was too good to turn down, even though it was bigger than what we wanted. We really liked Chris & Cherie's Diesel Jeep Liberty, and looked at the 4 x 4 Ridgeline, as well.

Sherry

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.