Generator Help

Guys/Gals,

My wife and I just picked up the Oliver last week and are now in Moab. We would like to use the generator I purchased in advance. It is a iGen2200 by Westinghouse. it is similar to the Honda and received excellent reviews for boondocking. I have the 30amp adapter and hooked it up to the Ollie and I get nothing. No AC power and no air conditioner (we did order the EZ Start from the factory).

What am I missing? I looked in the manual and nothing was mentioned. Am I missing a switch or a button somewhere. I assumed that when I hooked up the generator that the Oliver would sense the AC power and revert to that.

I appreciate the help, and apologize if this has been addressed.

-Alex

• Moderators

Alex, when I hook to generator power my trailer sees it right away. I’m not familiar with your generator, but I would check it first. Is there something else you can use to plug in to check it? Any circuit breaker that might be off? Someone smarter than me may have some better suggestions. Mike

BTW, we stayed at Horsethief BLM campground between Arches and Canyonlands NP’s. What a great place to be!

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

I do not have any practical experience with connecting a generator to an Ollie. I have seen Forum users mention AC problems associated with the GFCI outlet under the dinette table. Just thought I’d mention that. Good luck!

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

Your EMS (surge protector) is probably seeing the generator as a open ground. Look at the display and see if there is a error code. You will need to turn off the EMS at the display under the left side bed in order for the power to pass to the trailer. You will need to get a netural to ground bonding plug and plug into the generator to correct the problem to use the EMS with the generator. Of course bypassing the EMS will leave you unprotected from low or over voltage problems should you have them.

https://www.makariosrv.com/generator-plug-bonded-progressive-industries-generator-plug/

• Thanks 1

ABNBNSPEALARCOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMSMOMTNENHNMNYNCOHOKPARISCSDTNTXUTVTVAWVWYmed.jpg

Tom & Cheryl 

LE II #305

2018 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax

KountryKamper is correct. You need a neutral ground bonding plug.

You can get the part at a local hardware store. See http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/generator-use-with-hard-wired-surge-protector/

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

Yep, you can turn off your surge suppressor at the remote display, but the grounding plug mentioned is a much better solution. You should have one tucked in a galley drawer, supplied by Oliver. Just plug it into one of your 110 v outlets on the generator, and your cord in the other outlet. It should work fine. If you don’t have one, try to buy one locally.

8DA47DA2-3CCD-4989-974E-8C253CC4F996.jpeg.6ccecb79a577c525b9458985feb1c948.jpeg

I think this is mentioned in the Progressive Owners Manual, you might dig out the literature and take a look, just to educate yourself... How is Moab? Busy? I love that part of the West.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Well, I'm an idiot. The wife and I specifically made a stop to buy an adaptor in the middle of NM, and I found one supplied by Oliver in the back. The bad news is that it is just that, an adaptor, not a complete solution as I had to turn off the EMS as instructed above. The good news is that I have two adaptor plugs and the ability to run the AC if need be.

We are gong to run into Moab and see if I can pick up the full time solution mentioned by John above.

Moab is what it always is! Amazing! It's my third or fourth time, and the wife's first. She finally gets what I have been talking about for the last couple of years. Oliver has made the whole experience better as having a shower every night and a nice cool reprieve from the heat is a real recharge so to speak. It's my first time not on a bike, but the side by side is a nice compromise for the wife and myself--two up on the BMW might not go so well on some of the trails.

I have stayed at Ken's Lake the last two times, and am never disappointed. It is a bit south of town and has a lot of space and access to trails. There is a water fall and hiking as well. It's a all in one solution--good views, well spaced camping, and easy access to all. The trade off is that it offers no hook ups, but that really is the Oliver's specialty.

The solar is doing amazing and really has made the last two days without the generator possible.

Thanks for all your help guys--I really don't think I could have asked for better and quicker service! I'll try to get some pics up this evening.

-Alex

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Ken, are you happy with the Westinghouse generator? Duke was reading a glowing review earlier today & the $600 price is quite alluring.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

• 1 month later...

I purchased a Propane Generator from Central Maine Diesel a few years ago.

20 HP Honda engine, Italian generator head.

Paid about $2300 plus shipping via Paradise Freight which was a few hundred.

I see the price is just a bit higher now... But the one I want most is cummins genset and yamaha which i saw from a website.

Recently it blew a capacitor. Central Maine sent me 2 for the price of one even though it is out of warranty. $39 total for two.

I looked at generators on island but a similar Honda at Quality electric was close to $6000 and it wasn't even a 13750kw. More like 8 or 9000kw if I remember right.....

They have many generators at great prices but this is the one I settled for.

Quiet, no smell, propane lasts forever........

I made one with an extra 115volt male plug and a short piece 1” or so 12ga wire. Bond ground to neutral. With ground on on bottom, neutral should be the plug on the left. Terminal is sometimes silver colored while the hot side is brass colored. Make sure you get the correct one. I suggest using a voltmeter to check voltage between the pins. You should see zero voltage potential between ground and the pin you are grounding to.

3009168B-1602-4938-8B13-9A7A90649F20.thumb.jpeg.1f97f7fd126ecfbd29eaf09c60b9c1b9.jpeg

2CC83CE9-101C-4BCF-A701-765BBCE9D27C.thumb.jpeg.6e8e6ae21776f8c7c778609e1f70dad7.jpeg

AE52B36C-F2D0-4328-8007-1CA37D57343D.thumb.jpeg.b5dfce8beb1c7f089173f69fbc6b35f0.jpeg

2018 LE2 STD #365

2018 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax 4x4

neutral ground bonding plug.

This topic comes up more than it should. Seems a simple highlighted sentence in the Owners Manual  -in a prominent spot  - or in the  Progressive Owners Manual would be a good idea. Or perhaps mentioned in the delivery discussion.

The EMS unit does a good job, but can be complicated, every O owner should read the manual thoroughly.

As a side note - I was impressed with the many additional adapter hardware included in the purchase - and have been further impressed with my Ollie each time I use it.

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201