Plugged zerk?

• Moderators

Over the past two weeks I have greased the EZ- Flex suspension. Absolutely no problem except for one zerk - street side rear. Loading and unloading the suspension has had no effect - it still will not accept grease. Any ideas on the best way to correct the problem?

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

For a 'plugged' grease fitting I usually try the following: clean the fitting and the immediate area around it. Then we spray P B Blaster and wait a few minutes. Then try to grease. If it still doesn't work we warm the fitting with a heat gun on low (a hair dryer probably would work too). That should warm the old grease enough to allow new to enter. Last resort is to screw in a new fitting. A pain sometimes, but better than not getting grease in there.

How much grease did all 16 (15) take?

• Thanks 2

You can probably unscrew it they will come out and try to clean it out or take it up to the auto parts store and buy a package of a few replacement ones and crew in a new one. They will have them straight as the ones that came on the suspension kit or you can also get some that are at a 45 degree for easier use for some areas. The reason I said to take it up as they cmd in different sizes. Good luck Gary

• Thanks 2

Gary & Jona

2016 Silverado 2500 Diesel

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

ALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpgABBCMBNBNLNTNSPEQCSKYTsm.jpg.ba4d4f701cd53ebbd7ccf276c46a23eb.jpg

Also there is a tool available that you put on a fitting that you then tap with a hammer. It forces in an oil or air to break up/move along hardened grease. They should be available at most any auto parts outlets, maybe even Tractor Supply type stores or even Harbor Freight, though we have not checked...

• Moderators

Thanks guys! I've always simply replaced zerks when I've run into this problem but they've always been on old crusty nasty things. With this being on a less than one year old unit with no signs of dried out old grease I figured there just had to be another way. Bottom line - I'll just replace it.

Over the past two weeks I've greased two separate Elite II's with the EZ-Flex. I started with a brand new 14 oz tube of grease and there is still a bit left in the tube - probably about 2 or 3 oz. This job probably could be done with less grease, but there is not much to be lost by over-doing it a bit.

Interestingly on one job the zerks were placed on the inside so that you had to crawl under the camper to do the job while (on mine) the zerks were placed to the outside. With the zerks on the outside I didn't have to crawl under but with the tires in place, it can be a slight job in getting the flexible grease gun tube firmly and directly aligned to the zerk. And, the two (on each side) that are directly above the "rubber" between the tires had to be done more by "feel".

While I was at it I placed "caps on each zerk in order to keep them a bit cleaner - primarily for when this job is done while out on the road.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040CWX7C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Thanks guys! With the zerks on the outside I didn’t have to crawl under but with the tires in place, it can be a slight job in getting the flexible grease gun tube firmly and directly aligned to the zerk. And, the two (on each side) that are directly above the “rubber” between the tires had to be done more by “feel”.

Bill,

Installed six pins per side with zerks pointing out for easy access. Built a grease gun stand out of 2X4s for Coy, also pointed his pins/zerks out. Sent him an email to see if he will bring the grease gun stand to the Rally, it works nicely for zerks pointing out.

LE2

• Moderators

I talked ( at length) to the Dexter rep at the 2018 Rally this past weekend about the problem with the "plugged" zerk. He said that the assembly into which the zerks are threaded come to Dexter with a (plastic) film covering the "tube" that goes from the zerk into the bushing reservoir. While it shold be removed prior to installation, there have been times when that film simply didn't get discarded. This is probably what happened in my case. The fix is simple - take the zerk off, insert a thin piece of wire into the tube behind the zerk and clean it out by moving the wire back and forth (wiping the wire off several times as you are doing this). Screw the zerk back into place and all should be well.

On a related topic - when re-greasing the EZ-Flex, only pump enough grease into the zerk so that you can barely see grease coming out of the bushing. Any more than that is a waste of grease. There are no "seals" in these bushings, so, there is nothing to hurt. According to the Rep - the actual primary job of the grease is to help dissipate heat with the secondary function to actually lubricate.

Bill

• Thanks 2

I was told from Oliver service guys that all I need to do was take some pressure off the suspension by raising the stabilizer jack and that did the job. I had 2 fittings that would not allow any grease.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Just to sort of put a period at the end of this "zerk" sentence - I finally got around to taking a look at the original Zerk that I replaced.  There was no sign of any foreign material inside it, but, when I applied pressure to the inlet, the little ball bearing seal simply would not release.  So, I got an appropriate sized nail punch, applied pressure and still no give - a light tap with a small hammer was what it took to get any movement.  However, now it appears that this zerk is back to working as "normal".  I'm not sure what got it stuck but it works now.

Bill

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Hi, did you replace the fitting and if so, what was the size of the zerk fitting on the Dexter suspension?  Have one bad one myself so I was looking to replace it, so I could get some grease in it...

2016 RAM 2500 LARAMIE MEGA CAB 4X4

2017 OLE2 - King Bed

I jacked up and down, every which way, but there was one fitting that simply wouldn't accept any grease.  In a closer look at the fitting it looked like the opening was stuck.  Need to replace or repair this fitting. What a waste of good grease. LOL.

2016 RAM 2500 LARAMIE MEGA CAB 4X4

2017 OLE2 - King Bed

• Moderators

Choied -

When it came time to replace the one I found "bad", I happened to have one that was the correct size in my spare parts bin. So, I really don't know what the size is - sorry. Unless someone chimes in here shortly with the correct size I would simply call service tomorrow morning and ask. Or, take the old one down to your local NAPA type store and have them check the size.

Bill

I jacked up and down, every which way, but there was one fitting that simply wouldn’t accept any grease. In a closer look at the fitting it looked like the opening was stuck. Need to replace or repair this fitting. What a waste of good grease. LOL.

Choied,

Have some Dexter pins, Dexter bushings and 45 degree fittings on the shelf to look at.

The Dexter pin takes 1/4"-28 thread grease fitting. Ours came with straight fittings, but 45s could be used, too.

Hope this helps.

IMG_4168.thumb.jpg.53e0e2714e420e848daba81fe6f9b0be.jpg

• Thanks 4

LE2