HOW TO: Bleach service tee to sterilize water during tank fill

IMG_4450.thumb.jpg.034bc754e51a16b01825a482556313fd.jpg

All parts are standard 3/4" PVC fittings except for the female and male garden hose adapters, which may be a little harder to locate. Ace Hardware had everything I needed. I used yellow CPVC cement because I didn't't have the regular kind, but it is fine for this application.

You can insert this inline with your fresh water hose after the filter, with the short arm facing up. With no water pressure in the hose (tee empty), unscrew the cap and pour in or inject the appropriate quantity of household bleach. Install upper cap and turn on the water.

IMG_4243.thumb.jpg.c8273a2555bed4f0dc4b24540751ea22.jpg

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• 2 years later...

Why would you sanitize with bleach?  Maybe I am missing something but a better less corrosive option would be hydrogen peroxide use in wells.  hydroden peroxide oxidizes immediately with no cryogenic by products left behind.  

Bleach (chlorine) is a long time standard for sanitizing RV tanks and plumbing. If you don't like the idea, and are OK with paying five times as much, then by all means use peroxide. Or water purification tablets, if you can figure out a simple way to get them into the tank. You could dissolve some in a bucket and use the winterization port, but that is awkward at best, and finding the right pills for treating 30 gallons is problematic. Most Aquatabs are intended for backpackers, for a very small volume of water. You can get tablets for 1000 gallon tanks but I personally haven't seen any that are near the right dosage for an Ollie. Have you?

Bleach info: https://chlorine.americanchemistry.com/Chlorine/BleachFAQs/

I don't use the tee routinely, but if the water source is suspicious (like a non-residential well), and I have no alternative, then I use it. For city water it is not at all needed. But you DO need to shock your system, annually at least, with bleach, to make sure nothing nasty is growing in there..... and I don't drink anything straight out of the RV tank, it ALWAYS goes through a pitcher filter.

I hope that helps.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies
  • Like 3

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Can you not use the onboard pump with the winterization intake port to sanitize the fresh tank?

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

Yes, the winterization port is used for that; and for sanitizing the two “other“ fresh water ports you can use your antifreeze hand pump to inject a quart or so of bleach solution into those short lines. But the focus of this thread was really an easier way to sanitize what is entering through the normal water connection (tank fill) port when you are traveling, mostly. There are a bunch of How To Sanitize threads here and on other fiorums.

John Davies

Spokane Wa

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 hours ago, stan said:

Why would you sanitize with bleach?  Maybe I am missing something but a better less corrosive option would be hydrogen peroxide use in wells.  hydroden peroxide oxidizes immediately with no cryogenic by products left behind.  

We use purogene instead of bleach. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I found this inline pressure washer filter system.  It works great a little bleach or peroxide in the container the ends are made for the garden hose. Bypass the water heater and let the water flow through the system. Let it sit rinse done.

897561F7-5A92-45C1-AC32-58A623E69901.jpeg

• Like 2

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

• Moderator+

We've always just poured the bleach into the other end of an attached hose prior to attaching to the spigot. Turn on the water and it just washes right into the tank.

For sanitizing, NOT drinking, we use 1/2 to 2/3 cup of bleach for the 30+ gallon fresh tank and all the associated pipes. Just run each faucet until you can smell the chlorine. We usually let it sit overnight and then drain and rinse. Don't forget the outside wash station.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 4

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

1 minute ago, ScubaRx said:

We've always just poured the bleach into the other end of an attached hose prior to attaching to the spigot. Turn on the water and it just washes right into the tank.

For sanitizing, NOT drinking, we use 1/2 to 2/3 cup of bleach for the 30+ gallon fresh tank and all the associated pipes. Just run each faucet until you can smell the chlorine. We usually let it sit overnight and then drain and rinse. Don't forget the outside wash station.

Great idea.👍🏼

• Like 1

Grant  2022 GMC Denali 2500 HD 2019  Elite 11😎

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, ScubaRx said:

Yes, that's far too much bleach for drinking  water.

Just want to make sure people notice your caps. 

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

58 minutes ago, ScubaRx said:

Perfect, thank you.

Edited by Patriot
  • Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg