Hull #369

Mainiac

Was talking with Jason at OTT today, and it looks like hull #369 is headed for the floor. When we picked up hull #211 last year at the end of April they were on their way to building 100 units per year. Looks they have kicked it into high gear and the demand hasn't slacked off ...

• Thanks 2

• Moderators

Just imagine what the wait time would be if they were still building less than 50 per year! Congratulations to all that recognized an exceptional camper well ahead of the curve and/or (like me) just happened to discover Oliver at a relative early stage.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Was talking with Jason at OTT today, and it looks like hull #369 is headed for the floor. When we picked up hull #211 last year at the end of April they were on their way to building 100 units per year. Looks they have kicked it into high gear and the demand hasn’t slacked off …

They're looking at 200-250 per year as a good level to get to. This would mean a full-time speacialized workforce and improvements in buying power and efficiency. It would mean more profit through lower per-unit cost with greater quality and more profit by producing more units.

At the same time, they want to avoid hurrying the employees which would mean more stress and more mistakes. The low-stress atmosphere at the factory is impressive.

They are making steady improvements in the trailers and it's pleasure to see it. They have recently made improvements in the galvanized truck under the frame, have made the EZ Flex standard, new faucets and bigger sinks, all have full size spare tires and better wheels, they have tongue and groove drawers and the wiring is all the same regardless of options ordered. So you can go back and add things easily. They are also watching the molds very carefully to keep them producing perfect shells and re-vamping them after only half the industry standard of shells produced. They have a "mold shop" with talented workers that are continuously fine tuning the shells whenever a minor flaw is found in the finished product.

Check this month's, (June 2018) Trailer Life for an article on Oliver. I have only seen the magazine, but haven't read the article.

Oliver is here to stay and they are setting a new standard. Watch for bigger news before long.

• Thanks 5

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

It’s so weird, our unit is #310 and we don’t pick up until June. I’m guessing that means it’s already built and is stored somewhere at the Oliver shops. Can’t wait to pick her up in just four weeks!

Alison, Ross & Annika

Hull No. 310

Alison, how did you get your hull number already? When I asked I was told that they don't assign the VIN (part of which is the hull number) until the trailers are almost done being built. Ours will be done three weeks from today, maybe I should ask again.

2018 OLEII #344   |   2018 Ford Expedition

AZCACOGAKSMONMTNWYsm.jpg

My guess is there is a delay at the start of a unit as it begins production. Supplies for that particular unit are gathered. A frame is built and polished. Tires and suspension put on. And then four main units produced. My guess is a production number is assigned well before a unit actually is a rolling chassis.

I had heard that vin #/hull numbers are assigned earlier now than before. I knew when we picked our unit up we had to call back home with our number to get our insurance activated. Tenn. temp license was good for 30 days, but it would have been nice to register at home first, as we had expired plate for about two weeks on our leisurely trip home. I think they changed when some folks needed the numbers for financial reasons...

• Thanks 1

It’s so weird, our unit is #310 and we don’t pick up until June. I’m guessing that means it’s already built and is stored somewhere at the Oliver shops. Can’t wait to pick her up in just four weeks!

Too bad I didn't have your hull number, I would have checked on it and taken a couple of pictures for you. We were just there and toured the plant on the 1st. There are some finished ones stored in the yard and partially done ones throughout the plant.

John

Rumline,

I’ve had my unit number since early February. But here’s why I think I got it so early-

I got a call from Anita in early December that our Oliver was going to be ready ahead of schedule - they were ready to put it into production and she said it would be done by early February. I told her we didn’t want it in February - as you know, we are here in Colorado and February is not a good time of year to drive a camper trailer from TN to CO! When I told her we would prefer to stick with out earlier schedule and pick up in June, she said they would move the date back to its original production date, but I suspect it was actually finished in February and has been ready since then. This would explain why I’ve had my number for so long, and why it is so much earlier than units being finished right now.

• Thanks 1

Alison, Ross & Annika

Hull No. 310

OK thanks for the back story Alison. I wonder what happened to their schedule, because when we ordered in January we got offered a late February and an early March pickup slot. We declined for the same reason you did. But maybe that time of year is not popular in general?

I think I'll still try calling next week after they're all back from the rally.

AZCACOGAKSMONMTNWYsm.jpg

It used to be, I believe, that they would not assign a vin/hull # until the unit weighed. And as at one time each was a little different. Now they seem to know each is more standard construction and they know the weight of each component. My guess is they have to pay someone something to register VIN #, so they wanted to be sure a unit came to completion and nothing changed. Probably a liability issue?

Well I just called the sales office and Heather sent me our Certificate of Origin, complete with VIN.  Our hull number is 344!

The scheduled completion date is May 23rd, so we're just under two weeks out. Heather didn't have to look hard to find it so my guess is it was in a filing cabinet somewhere and not just created today floating around in limbo. I didn't think to ask how early those get generated. But at least two weeks prior to completion!

AZCACOGAKSMONMTNWYsm.jpg

Rumline,

Excellent. How exciting!

John

John