Connecting rear camera to Tow vehicle

I recently purchased a new 2018 GMC SIERRA 1500. The truck has lots of bells and whistles including an in-dash monitor that has lots of features. When I bought it I asked the dealer if there is any way I can connect the monitor of my truck to the Oliver Trailer camera on the rear. The short version is I can buy yet another system and have it installed. Between my TPMS, the current monitor that contains GPS back up camera, radio and many other features, I do not want to mount the monitor that came with the Trailer camera for backing up.

Is there a way to merge the camera system signal from the rear of the trailer, electronic or hardwire, so I do not have to mount another monitor?

Thanks

Coy aka Hardrock

I'm not familiar with the GM infotainment systems but a common aftermarket accessory is something that plugs into the rear of the display which adds auxiliary video input(s) and maybe some other fun stuff. These are often a simple composite video (yellow RCA) connector plus red and white RCAs for audio.

So the trick would be to get a wireless (I assume what you have now is wireless) receiver that will interface with your camera and output the signal via a composite video connector.

Which rear camera do you have now? The one offered by Oliver?

2018 OLEII #344   |   2018 Ford Expedition

AZCACOGAKSMONMTNWYsm.jpg

• Moderators

Coy - I too didn't want another monitor in the cab of my truck - see post #12707 from April, 2016 ( http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/rearview-camera/ ).

This system is working great but doesn't do exactly what you have in mind - show the rear camera on you truck's screen. However, it is a viable and fairly inexpensive solution. On the downside - due to my camera's location (on the spare tire cover) I do get more road spray when it is raining versus the standard Oliver camera. Also, as one might expect, my resolution is not as good as the Oliver camera) But it is fine for the purposes of backing into a camping spot, driveway, etc., without worrying about hitting a tree, rock, dog, little kid, etc. It is more than adequate for monitoring traffic too.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I wish you the best of luck figuring this out .... I wish there were standards so that factory truck monitors could easily accept outside video feeds. I do think you will need to find an aftermarket wifi dongle to connect to your nav head.

My Land Cruiser has perimeter cameras as well as front and back cameras. I hoped to tie my trailer one into that system. No luck.

I am now using a Garmin BC30 backup camera connected to my RV660 gps. It works fine, and having the second screen helps in certain unusual circumstances, such as going down a steep twisty dirt road in first gear, 4 Low. I have a view of what is in front of the truck bumper AND what is behind the trailer. I would lose that ability if I had the rear signal integrated into my factory display....

51B58B88-C8CE-4206-9BA7-18BEEE97C606.thumb.jpeg.2cb078e89ebdc3bed039970d9008d05b.jpeg

Sorry to hijack your thread. I actually believe having the monitor up high in your direct line of sight is WAY more useful, especially when you leave it turned on in heavy traffic. You don’t have to look away from the road to see it.

Note that my high mounted camera, about 8 inches below the Oliver sign, allows me to actually the rear tire; plus the two furthest guidelines are adjustable. I have mine set at six feet and four feet. I think this is important! I don’t know if the factory unit has that capability....

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I got the Voyager backup camera system when I purchased my Ollie. I like it a lot, but my only complaint is that the monitor is so large. At the Oliver Rally I noticed that their demo trailer had a smaller Voyager backup monitor in the unit. I went to the web site, and found that the new monitor is a 5.6 inch model, as opposed to the 7 inch model I currently have. The 5.6 inch model is available from eTrailer for $286, which seems a bit steep to save some windshield real estate. The 5.6 inch model appears to have a much better cable arrangement than the larger one.

My main reason for posting here is that ASA Electronics has a Replacement Rearview Mirror Monitor, that shows your Voyager backup camera image in the rearview mirror. Seems pretty slick. The web site says The Voyager mirror monitor works with all Voyager cameras and is a perfect replacement option for rearview mirrors on Ford, GM, Dodge and Sprinter Chassis. While it would not work with John Davies Toyota, it might be useful for others. I searched on Amazon with "Replacement Rearview Mirror Monitor" and found a variety of manufacturers.

vom74mm-web.png.c27074e3f8719820dce2b5771e36c58a.png

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

• Moderators

I had one of those rearview mirror camera monitors on my 2011 F-150. At first it seemed really slick but in actual use I found that the screen was simply too small to be very useful. Perhaps for something like simple monitoring of traffic it would be OK, but to see detail (like hitching) it was all but useless.

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• Moderators

Is there a way to merge the camera system signal from the rear of the trailer, electronic or hardwire, so I do not have to mount another monitor?

Thanks

Coy aka Hardrock

There is a way to do this if your truck display has RCA connectivity. Jensen makes the Voyager cameras Oliver is installing. They also make a wireless receiver that will connect to non Voyager equipment through RCA connectors. So if your truck monitor has RCA connectivity this receiver would plug into it and should display the rear view camera output. Your GMC dealer may be able to answer the question about the RCA connections. See the attached pictures from Rvcams.com and be sure to read the fine print about camera compatibility. Also check with www.rvcams.com for support. Let me know if you need any further assistance.

I personally use the rear view camera whenever the Ollie is connected. I turn the rear view mirror toward the ceiling or temporarily remove it and place the Voyager display high in place of the mirror. Looking at the Ollie in my rear view mirror drives me nuts so I eliminate that view.

4FCB1708-6E19-4525-A9F9-BF140A442CB7.thumb.png.a6edb903e3f40c50d1dc4dfe471d51a8.png

B411B02F-5C41-4B40-B84F-4D1185EF0409.thumb.png.27b1e878ac354a6414010d524653ed77.png

• Thanks 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”