Cutting Boards the Process...

Foy_Mirna

For those of you interested in my craft of making cutting board, I though I would do a quick overview of the process.

It all starts with templates for the sink, in this case 2017 Elite II. A top cardboard template that is cut to the finished size, faucet location/cut-out and corner details are establish. I second template is made for the bottom which is use to hold the cutting board in place by dropping down into the sink bowl. Once these are checked for fit, I can make as many as I need knowing they will all be the same.

IMG_0854.thumb.jpg.45fba6edf48be86ca97cf21a5a812732.jpg

Rough saw 1 1/4” thick Cherry and Maple are select and measured for total board feet need to build all the cutting boards.

IMG_0858.thumb.jpg.80b5be00c0cd45e30591682db7b52a8d.jpg

The board are then milled on the jointer to establish a flat bottom side and then passed through the planer for a perfectly flat board. The final thickness is 7/8”. These are then ripped down on the table saw – Cherry to 2 1/3” and the Maple to 1/4”.

[attachment file=IMG_0859.JPG]

With all the milling done the boards are then arranged in the ship decking pattern and glued together with food safe, water proof glue.

IMG_0860.thumb.jpg.484cd87dd9d751ac4685f8c57be82d24.jpg

These large panels are then cut to rough size cutting boards.

IMG_0861.thumb.jpg.3d1a5853ae2aa53d6a42e04eba5f4995.jpg

Using the top template the corners are rounded and faucet location are cut on the bandsaw. The final size is cut on the table saw for last minute adjustments.

IMG_0862.thumb.jpg.ab13ef3943e99d500ef158adb0cdf934.jpg

The bottom template is then use to mark the bowl location and the wood is removed from around the edges at the router table. This allows the cutting board to sit inside the sink and not move.

IMG_0863.thumb.jpg.eeb1b2308408e18a6273a9a92804e9d1.jpg

Last step is sanding and more sanding and more sanding. 80, 120, 220 and 320 grit sandpaper are used. The final step is a coat of mineral oil and they are done.

It takes about 3 days to make a run of 4 cutting boards. Some people have ask why I do this? And think I am a bit crazy. It's not for the money for the wood alone cost what I charge. It is for the love of working with wood and created something I can share with others who value my craft.

Over the next few week I will begin shipping these board to their new Oliver Owners. I hope they enjoy them as much as I did making them.

• Thanks 12

Onward,
Foy and Mirna 

Roamy Mc Roadhouse
2017 Legacy Elite II, Twin Bed
Hull #227
2021 RAM 1500 Limited

• 1 month later...

I received my cutting board from Foy a couple of weeks ago. It is absolutely beautiful and displays flawless workmanship. Thanks for making it Foy!

Don

• Thanks 1

Don

2020 Kimberley Kruiser T3

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States I visited with my Ollie (Sold October, 2019)

States Visited Map

I am always so impressed by the DIY talents of those here in the forum. The skill level of those of you who share your crafts/modifications/servicing for your OTT is amazing and mind boggling to one who can only crochet (a skill that is wonderful, but won't do much to fix anything broken, make changes to the trailer, or add anything needed). My training as a teacher leaves me with little repair skills or modification talent. When I say I am impressed, truly I mean this from my heart. Bravo on the carpentry skills you possess that enables you to make such lovely cutting boards!! Well done!!

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Hello Duane,

Nice to e-meet you.  It would be my pleasure to craft a cutting board for your Oliver.  I see from your signature line that you have a 2018 Elite.  Is that correct?  If so, they have the smaller sink and I have made ones for other Oliver Elite owners.  Please send me an email at 48ocean@gmail.com so I can send you my template to confirm your sink size.  I look forward to working with you.

Onward,
Foy and Mirna 

Roamy Mc Roadhouse
2017 Legacy Elite II, Twin Bed
Hull #227
2021 RAM 1500 Limited