What are you listening to? Video Thread

JWalmsley

Russel, those are classics, every one.  There was a dive in college that I used to go to, for some reason only with with this one girl - but it had a jukebox full of Patsy Cline and that's all we'd listen to.  But I don't like country music, of course 😁

My wife and I got to see John Lee Hooker in a small club a few years before he died.  Wonderful experience.

Edited by Overland
  • Like 3

It's Friday, and that means New Music Friday.  Here's what the kids are listening to (hardly).

First up, this past year Moby has been doing these ambient recordings where he sits in his garden and pretends he's Brian Eno.  It actually was really good, if you're into that stuff.  I'd highly recommend looking up the album if you want something super chill for a Sunday morning.  But he's applied what he's learned to accompany this version of the Beatles' Revolution by Julie Mintz.  It's different, not completely sure it works, but it's growing on me -

°°°

If you don't know who Tricky is, then, well, you should know who Tricky is.  Trip hop pioneer, and a huge factor in the evolution of hip hop into all the many types of music it's morphed into.  This downbeat version of Fall Please really brings out the bluesier side of the song:

°°°

Hiatus has a new album coming, and they've been slowly releasing bits and pieces to whet our appetite.  This is just a gorgeous song with beautiful vocals from Malahat Haddad.

°°°

Next up would make for a great driving song, a new single from Peruvian songwriter Sofia Kourtesis.

°°°

It's been 20 years since St. Germain (eponym of French musician Ludovico Navarre) released the amazing Tourist album.  To celebrate the anniversary, he sent out the call for remixes and jeez, they're never ending. There's a lot of respect in the music world for this album and the number of artists who want in on the remixes is staggering.  Anyway, here's one of Rose Rouge by Jovonn that was released this morning.  It's a bit thumpthumpthump for me and pales to the original, but still pretty nice.

°°°

And if we're doing thumpthumpthump, how about some Techno to start your weekend?  A new EP from Soel with three new songs and four remixes.  Seems to be a pretty good EP.  

°°°

I'll finish with a few more electronic releases from this week.  First is an instrumental from Booka Shade and Joclyn that I'm really liking this morning:

°°°

Then finally, another nice release from Tor off their upcoming album.  This is another one to add to your driving playlist.  Enjoy.

Edited by Overland
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Overland said:

It's Friday, and that means New Music Friday.  Here's what the kids are listening to (hardly).

First up, this past year Moby has been doing these ambient recordings where he sits in his garden and pretends he's Brian Eno.  It actually was really good, if you're into that stuff.  I'd highly recommend looking up the album if you want something super chill for a Sunday morning.  But he's applied what he's learned to accompany this version of the Beatles' Revolution by Julie Mintz.  It's different, not completely sure it works, but it's growing on me -

°°°°°°

Next up would make for a great driving song, a new single from Peruvian songwriter Sofia Kourtesis.

°°°

It's been 20 years since St. Germain (eponym of French musician Ludovico Navarre) released the amazing Tourist album.  To celebrate the anniversary, he sent out the call for remixes and jeez, they're never ending. There's a lot of respect in the music world for this album and the number of artists who want in on the remixes is staggering.  Anyway, here's one of Rose Rouge by Jovonn that was released this morning.  It's a bit thumpthumpthump for me and pales to the original, but still pretty nice.

°°°

And if we're doing thumpthumpthump, how about some Techno to start your weekend?  A new EP from Soel with three new songs and four remixes.  Seems to be a pretty good EP.  

°°°

I'll finish with a few more electronic releases from this week.  First is an instrumental from Booka Shade and Joclyn that I'm really liking this morning:

°°°

Then finally, another nice release from Tor off their upcoming album.  This is another one to add to your driving playlist.  Enjoy.

Julie was cool -  but have to admit - I can't get into the other more techno beat type stuff. 

I seem to have drifted towards the bluegrass, acoustic county, with relapses into my old standbys. 

I blew an old set of speakers in my garage set up - Etta James - full tilt 

I'm gonna need to find some new - 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

5 minutes ago, BackofBeyond said:

I seem to have drifted towards the bluegrass, acoustic county, with relapses into my old standbys. 

In my 30's I was big into blues and had a huge thing for African music - hours thumbing through CD's at any music store I could find - and weirdly that was sort of my most "conservative" period, musically.  Starting in my 40's and especially now with streaming services and the ability to download pretty much anything anytime, both my wife and I have become almost obsessed with new stuff and have essentially made a full circle back to our younger tastes.  She grew up with what I jokingly call Arkansas Folk Music - southern rock - but she was also big into Led Zeppelin, so that's her saving grace.  Still today she, the stodgy CPA,  likes harder stuff than I do.  It's fun to see it in her.  I can put on some Mysterines when she comes home from work and she'll bounce around the kitchen like it's a bunny mosh pit. This is her favorite song:

• Wow 1

4 minutes ago, Overland said:

In my 30's I was big into blues and had a huge thing for African music - hours thumbing through CD's at any music store I could find - and weirdly that was sort of my most "conservative" period, musically.  Starting in my 40's and especially now with streaming services and the ability to download pretty much anything anytime, both my wife and I have become almost obsessed with new stuff and have essentially made a full circle back to our younger tastes.  She grew up with what I jokingly call Arkansas Folk Music - southern rock - but she was also big into Led Zeppelin, so that's her saving grace.  Still today she, the stodgy CPA,  likes harder stuff than I do.  It's fun to see it in her.  I can put on some Mysterines when she comes home from work and she'll bounce around the kitchen like it's a bunny mosh pit. This is her favorite song:

Perfect. Overdrive and all. 

Edit add

Keb Mo - he's my more modern  - blues.

I'd guess you have listened to Gretta Van Fleet -  so what if they sound like Zep.

Edited by BackofBeyond
addition.
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Overland said:

Shhhh.  We're trying to keep my wife from hearing that.  

You mean this one??

• Moderators
1 hour ago, topgun2 said:

Keb Mo has been on the Grand Ol Opry a couple of times this past year during the lockdown.  I wasn’t aware of him much before but now really enjoy his music.

Edited by Mike and Carol

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

1 hour ago, Overland said:

She grew up with what I jokingly call Arkansas Folk Music - southern rock - but she was also big into Led Zeppelin, so that's her saving grace.  Still today she, the stodgy CPA,  likes harder stuff than I do.  It's fun to see it in her.  I can put on some Mysterines when she comes home from work and she'll bounce around the kitchen like it's a bunny mosh pit. This is her favorite song:

I vote Overland’s wife to be party coordinator at all Oliver Rallies... “ Zeppelin Bunny mosh pits”.... Man!... that a whole-nother level Egg Rally... sign me up!

Edited by Airedales
Spelling
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1