What are you listening to? Video Thread

JWalmsley

• Moderator+

Having come into musical maturity listening to the Rock N' Roll of the late 50's and all through the 60's, I can attest that I've never been a Country music fan. By the mid 70's I was rather oblivious to what had become popular and I drifted thru the 80's and 90's really not paying much attention. One evening in mid 1999 as I was leaving to go home from work one of our technicians asked me if I had ever heard of a new internet site called Napster, I told him that I was not familiar with it and he explained that by using it, a person could (for free) download any song ever written. Being of a different ethnicity, I assured him that none of the music I would be interested in would be available there.

Later, at home, I decided to look into the program. I downloaded the software, installed and then ran it. I don't remember the interface being too difficult asking only for an artist and song title. All of a sudden I could not think of a single song to download. Then I remembered one of my favorite songs from 1965, Bob Lind's Elusive Butterfly. I typed it in and hit enter. Almost immediately, a list of selections to choose from came up. I chose one and hit the download button. Well, this was still in the dial-up days of the internet and it took several minutes but it finally completely downloaded and I pressed play. Oh my goodness.

It was at that second I had a sudden, intuitive perception or insight into the reality or essential meaning of something,  initiated by the simple, homely, and commonplace task of downloading of a file (or as some might say, an epiphany.) It was at that moment I realized I wanted more songs, in fact I wanted all of them. So began a quest to download and catalog every Billboard Hot 100 song from 1940 to 1999. It took me 10 years.

I now love the songs from the 80's and can tolerate most of them from the 70's. The 90's not so much. With a few exceptions, I skip virtually all the songs of the last two decades.

This is one of my exceptions...

• Like 6

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderator+

This one is totally different but one of my exceptions to the 21st century rule. I first discovered it in a LG phone commercial back in 2016 starring Jason Statham. You'll notice that he plays every part in the video, well with the exception of the bulls.

Busy Signal, Everybody Move

Here's the whole song...

In case you want to sing along here are the lyrics...

[Intro]
Turf...
Bus'!
Brrrup!

[Hook]
Da one yah name
Watch me now
Watch me now
Watch me now
Watch me now
Watch me now
Watch me now
Bus'!
Hott Ed!

[Musical Interlude]

Hey!
Hott Ed, Hott Ed
Bus'!
Turf...
Da one yah name
Hott Ed, Hott Ed
Hey
Bus'!

[Verse 1]
Everybody fi a bounce
Everybody fi a move
Me see old, me see young inna dancing too
Everybody to the group
Stepping out, stepping out
We a winner, cyaan lose
Stepping out, stepping out
People know me clean any time when me come out
Me thing dem different, me style cyaan run out
A no nothing regular, this cyaan burn out
A dead inna your area, hotter than the sun out
Move to the music, move to the music
Tun it up, up, up, till you lose it
Never confuse, abuse, nor refuse it
No reggae, dancehall, different genre me fuse it
So me see the young and the old dem a lose control
And a music bring the joy to dem soul
Watch me tun it up, tun it up, a so we roll
Just listen keen to how the story unfold

[Musical Interlude]
Bus'!
Hott Ed
Yeah
Bus'!
Hott Ed
Brrrup!
Hott Ed
Da one yah name
Hey, hey

[Verse 2]
So when we...
Touch the road, touch the road
Dm no bad as we Fresher than Fresh Prince
Badder than Bill Cosby
See dem a run up and down like a Anansi
Cyaan keep a good man down, like Kalonji
Hey, me head a blaze like fire now
And me have style fi spare like tire now
Blaze the grades, burn it up to the sky yah now
Inna me ears music a whisper yah now

[Musical Interlude]
Brrrup, brrrup, Bus'!
Hott Ed
Brrrup, Bus'!

[Bridge]
Well neat whenever you touch streets and
On timing, move to the beat and
Hold a vibe, hold joy, make dem see it and
Get up! tun up! Come out of your seat and
When the music hit, you say, "it's sweet" and
Dem yah words weh Bob Marley speak and
Build a vibes and celebrate life
When your friend dem a meet and greet and

[Musical Interlude]
Hott Ed
Turf...
Hott Ed
Yeah
Bus'!

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Some may remember this song from the movie Shawshank Redemption which is probably my favorite movie. 

If this isn't your thing, at least try to listen to it until the actual duet begins.  Their harmonies are beautiful.

• Like 4

ALCTKYMENHNYNCPATNVTVAWVsm.jpg2021 Elite 2 Hull # 832 "Bucket List"

2021 F250 7.3L Gas / 4.30 AR

Some beautiful music from Wynton Marsalis.  I don't care for his jazz nor do I like jazz in general but his classical pieces are incredibly beautiful.  I'm especially fond of Baroque music both from Wynton and from Yo Yo Ma.

• Like 4

Patriot - I'm sure you will like these guys!  We've been lucky enough to see them live a few times.  They are a bunch of incredible musicians who put their heart and soul into their live performances.

This song was originally written and performed by John Mayer but I like the Stringdusters version of it better.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

@topgun2, Back in the day when our sailboat "playlist" was a collection of songs recorded from our lp's to a cassette tape, Southern Cross was one we played every trip....

And then, there's this great song by Pete Seeger back in the Byrds days.

Seems appropriate today.

It is, a time to mourn.

Rip. David, and Pete.

• Like 7

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

• Like 4

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

On 10/14/2022 at 1:32 AM, topgun2 said:

Where's that black Oliver when you really need it?

Campers-Vegas-035.jpg

Looks like Miranda Lambert's logo...  Awesome CW performer!image.thumb.png.b266d4363eb851d44eeea79c42fcaaff.png

• Like 1

spacer.png

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

I see his thread move from books to music, but I usually listen to audible and science fiction books, usually long series. I would recommend Expeditionary Force Columbus Day, which is the first book of a 14 or 15 book series. Once you make it halfway through the first book, it gets pretty funny when you meet an ancient AI who gets nicknamed Skippy. The whole series is about Joe and Skippy and fighting aliens. There are a lot of funny moments throughout the series. Not always suitable for young children. I think a movie deal is in the works as well, but let's face it. The books will always be better. 

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

Lucinda reminds me of a new gen cross between Linda Ronstadt and Bonnie Raitt.  Seen her several times in small Santa Fe venues...

• Like 2

spacer.png

• Moderators

I'm listening to the music of Eurovision.

My favorite,  Norway.

Also, totally love Czech republic. Australia. Austria.

And others.

https://eurovision.tv/video/australia-artist-song-reveal-eurovision-2023

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

So, we are (finally) getting an early summer rain storm, which we sorely need.

Of course reminds me of one of my favorite artists. 

My little dog is so afraid of thunder and rain. Maybe I'll play this pretty loud on the TV so she can't hear the storm... 🤔

• Like 2

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• Moderators

And, we would be remiss if we didn't remember Tina Turner. We lost another amazing female performer yesterday, at age 83.  

I'm linking a video from just a few years back. We could all just hope that we'd have her energy and love at her age. You can Google a zillion performances of Proud Mary, but this is amazing.

Screenshot_20230525_203326_Chrome.thumb.jpg.612dd4426f9373fb4e65446e021e6f58.jpg

• Like 4

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

6 hours ago, Wandering Sagebrush said:

After first hearing the late, great Michael Hedges play a harp guitar on a 1980’s episode of “Live from Wolftrap”, I was hooked on the unique sound!

Or acoustic 

• Like 3

-----
Steve - Northern Ohio, USA
Wandering around on occasion, always lost.
2021 Toyota Land Cruiser - 2023 Oliver Elite II Twin Hull #1360 “Curiosity”
Facebook - Instagram

Camped in Curiosity = Green —— Visited with Curiosity = Gray

map.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...