Newbee

Swb

Help please,

I will be solo and researched a lot of travel trailers and came up with 2 in the 23 foot range. Airstream or Legacy Elite 2. I want the most off road and off grid rig and still have a comfortable home. So is this the rig for me?

Thanks Wade

• Moderators

Hey Wade, welcome! We looked at getting an Airstream 23FB for a couple of years, but went with Oliver. The Oliver wins the off road/off grid contest easily. The Airstream is probably more comfortable - it’s a foot wider and does not have a wet bath. For us, our Oliver is plenty comfortable and we value the off grid capabilities. After 2 years and around 30K miles we remain very happy with our decision. Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

Wade - The answer to your question is simple - go take a physical look at both and make your decision. Obviously most of the people on this Forum chose the Oliver and we think that you will too for the same rational reasons we did. Enjoy the ride!

Bill

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Wade,

At one time we had bought a Scamp that had been sitting in a field neglected for quite a few years. The owner dropped the price by 25% before we picked it up, because he found a big hole in the floor. We removed cabinets and partitions to repair the floor. While at it out came the ice box and in went a 3 way refrigerator. A toilet was added, drawers added, furnace ducts upgraded, new tires, a wash and wax, and so on. And then, the unthinkable happened. Someone came along, with cash in hand, and offered me 3 times what I had invested in it. As he left he also said he would have paid more. From this experience we learned two (maybe three) things.

Some time later we found we missed the trailer. We started to look for a replacement. We knew something a little bigger would fit our life style better, but also we wanted some thing that would fit down narrow roads and paths. We started by looking at used Airstreams. One thing that struck us was a lot said floor had been repaired or replaced. Been there, not again. Most needed to be polished, and that lead to the discussion of dent removal and hail damage. Maybe time to keep looking.

Then we found the Oliver, and the rest is history. Solar power, LED lights, warm even in a rest area when there is black ice and snow outside, high clearance, and great road manners. An awning that is easy to put out and a heavy aluminium frame that won't rust out. But maybe most of all, for me anyway, no particle board floors...

• Thanks 1

Wade. the Oliver is no OFFROAD trailer, but it can be terrific on maintained gravel and ranch roads. Any trailer will require some rock protection to prevent nasty damage to the finish, what equipment you decide on depends on the places you will go, and on your tolerance for rock dings and dents.

Check out some posts by Overland or PM him, he has the most offroady unit so far, with a 360 degree coupler, HD swiveling  tongue jack, extra solar panels, lithium batteries and a Raptor to pull it with. He can answer any questions about taking the Oliver as far as it can safely go.

The smaller Elite I is way more capable in the rough but it sounds as if you want the extra room inside.

I have equipped Mouse with rear mud flaps, under chassis skirts and a Stone Stomper in front, and this has almost eliminated damage from long periods of driving on unpaved roads. I still have issues with dust intrusion in a few places, and am thinking about a great solution for that.

Welcome to the Forums.,

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.