HOW TO: Nev-R-Adjust brake initial adjustment, and how it works. Plus discussion

Dexter-nev-R-Adjust-brake-schematic.thumb.jpg.2876dbeed48f89693f42c68e8186516f.jpg

This is a very good video showing how this unit is supposed to work. BTW, the shoes adjust while braking in a FORWARD direction, not in reverse like automotive drum brakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2CHjTw9EA0

Dexter document, print and file if you don't already have this info:

https://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/default-source/dexteraxle/product-documentation/installation-instructions/059-045-00c_s-amp-l_10x2-25_12x2_nra_man_electric.pdf?sfvrsn=12

My LF brake was grabbing badly, I thought I had fixed it (leaking seal) but now it has returned and I will have to go back into it.

Has anyone had problems with the Nev-R-Adjust system over- or under-adjusting the shoes?

I am tempted to just cut the stupid cables and go back to manually adjusting them, which is not difficult or very time consuming. At least then I will know then what the shoe clearance is and that should not change other than from wear.

Comments?

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I raised all four wheels up and checked the star wheel adjustments by lifting the automatic arm with a thin screwdriver. Silly me, I assumed the brakes were set right because they are Nev-R-Adjust, right?

Left front 23 clicks until brake bound up.

LR 21 clicks

RF 14 clicks

RR 42 clicks (!)

I backed them all off to 8.

08309F4A-55EC-42FF-A5E8-5BE17A855CE0.thumb.jpeg.115bbe9cc6be623d82daa890d8734928.jpeg

E5ED093F-5AE0-46AB-985E-5FEDBE4BEDF0.thumb.jpeg.d69c7e19303bc65379fcd5decb738b19.jpeg

I have to admit that I was very startled that they were so loose, and that they were all so different. I had them apart about 1000 miles ago to correct leaky seals, and everything looked great otherwise, and the auto adjust stuff looked fine. Why they have not self adjusted, I cannot understand.

Oh wait! “Never Adjust”, they are named correctly!

I will keep an eye on them, the LF is still grabby and locks prematurely, so when I go into them I may just eliminate the cables. I will check to see if the brakes are postioned correctly on the axles (left and right).

Disk brakes are in my future, when money allows.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Rant mode on—Anybody owning a trailer w/elec brakes should understand the basic functions of the braking system, learn how to adjust them as needed, trouble shoot wiring issues

OK you got me. I don't know jack about drum brakes, let alone electric drum brakes. Do you know of any good resources online where I can learn this material? Electrical troubleshooting I can figure out but I'm concerned about John's findings, and that I have no idea what he's talking about with regard to what he did.

Yeah I can "just Google it" but when you don't know what you don't know, it's difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff. I would greatly appreciate any tips or links to quality resources.

• Thanks 2

2018 OLEII #344   |   2018 Ford Expedition

AZCACOGAKSMONMTNWYsm.jpg

Montanaoliver

And I’m with you on disc brakes. Should be offered as an option from OTT. I detest drum brakes and especially electric systems and drums.

I had a little Oliver bee tell me a rumor at the rally...

ABNBNSPEALARCOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMSMOMTNENHNMNYNCOHOKPARISCSDTNTXUTVTVAWVWYmed.jpg

Tom & Cheryl 

LE II #305

2018 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax

Thanks for all the great info. I have some reading / watching to do.

I wasn't planning on returning to Hohenwald after I pick up my trailer for various reasons, but if they start offering a disc brake upgrade I may just have to.

• Love 1

2018 OLEII #344   |   2018 Ford Expedition

AZCACOGAKSMONMTNWYsm.jpg

• Moderator+

I installed disk brakes on our Oliver over a year ago. It is some work but not beyond doing for someone that has tools and the inclination.

So as to not hijack this thread you can read about that venture here.

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/mods-of-the-outlaw-oliver/page/3/?wall_post=34117

Follow up on performance after about 25K Miles. No issues whatsoever. Disks are still perfectly smooth x 4. No fluid loss anywhere.

• Thanks 4

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

John and Mark - thank you for your work on this subject. As a fairly decent mechanic - I even have tools..- I don't believe I will have issues keeping the brakes serviceable. And Mark, thanks for the primer on the Ford system - it will come in handy one day. One thing though - for what Oliver charges for these trailers - I expect the axles and brake systems to be trouble free, not something I will change. If they turn out to be less than expected I will be looking to Oliver for answers. Time will tell. But if history is any indication - any problems with anything on my unit - well - I'll just fix it and go on. Unless its a system failure -. This forum is a great tool - thanks again all.

• Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

I dug into my brakes today ... after cleaning they do not look bad at all after 6000 miles, and the high quality inner seals I installed at 4000 miles do not leak. But the left front brake which has been grabby, has a seriously binding primary (front) shoe, and its buddy on the other side of that axle also does, a little.

Video showing how I found the problem, please view and comment....

I was going to find locally four manual adjuster screws and the proper springs, Dexter Part Number 300, but could not find a source that was open and also affordable. NAPA does carry them for $15 each. I ordered 4 for $32 shipped online. I will delete the self adjust cables and arms and use manual adjustments. I don’t mind tightening them every 1000 miles, it is veryquick and easy with the Oliver onboard jacks.

https://www.crofttrailer.com/300-adjuster-and-spring-kit-for-dexter-and-hayes-electric-brakes/#page=page-1

You must change the adjuster and spring, the Nev-R-Adjust ratchet type screw will not work without its cable and actuator arm. Its spring does not ride inside the star, and the star teeth are the wrong shape. I will post a new thread later about swapping them out, assuming they fit. I think they will, from what I have read on other trailer forums. At least one other owner has done this.

Here is the backing plate and rear of the problem shoe.

DE71025A-D7FE-4C79-9F9A-15D045B5F6DA.thumb.jpeg.55c17fe5eefa31c0140c8d0afab227b0.jpeg

C940310E-07A0-4552-ABEF-217D361021C3.thumb.jpeg.8e95b01d6e61659090c346cce98646a2.jpeg

They look normal. Note the Nev-R-Adjust screw and spring to the left....

Assuming lubing the backing plate and rotating parts will get these brakes working to a degree that I trust them, I will defer the disc brake installation until winter. If I can’t get them operating smoothly, I guess I will be starting that project in a week!

I’ll follow up here with pics showing how to take the brakes apart without drawing blood or requiring special brake tools.

Later.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

@John E Davies  This thread helped me today.  I found that I have ONE manual break assembly and THREE not-so-auto-adjustable assemblies.  You're trick of holding up that automatic arm with a thin screwdriver helped me.  One of the assemblies really does not have "teeth" to adjust with.  I guess it was auto-adjusted too much.

I did improved the stopping power, but I'm still upwards of 8 or 8.5% on my truck tow break.  I'd like  it closer to 5% (out of 10).  

I'm too tired to get on the ground one more time today.  Maybe another day.

Next, I'll want to know what "BEST" break assemblies I should get for poor old #110.  I'm not liking the whole "Nev-R-Adjust" crap.  What BS.  Maybe I'll stay with good old fashioned manual adjustable.

I'll have to dig through the forums more to see what folks are saying is best assemblies/kits these days.

Suggestions are welcome on the assemblies and if I should start a poll/thread or something else.  

Take care,

Chris

• Like 1

Chris
2016 Legacy Elite II  o--o  Hull #110 o--o  Wayfinder  o--o  Twin Bed  o--o  2020 RAM 1500 Limited 5.7L 
Augusta, Georgia

• 1 year later...
On 5/30/2018 at 5:03 AM, John E Davies said:

Dexter-nev-R-Adjust-brake-schematic.thumb.jpg.2876dbeed48f89693f42c68e8186516f.jpg

This is a very good video showing how this unit is supposed to work. BTW, the shoes adjust while braking in a FORWARD direction, not in reverse like automotive drum brakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2CHjTw9EA0

Dexter document, print and file if you don't already have this info:

https://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/default-source/dexteraxle/product-documentation/installation-instructions/059-045-00c_s-amp-l_10x2-25_12x2_nra_man_electric.pdf?sfvrsn=12

My LF brake was grabbing badly, I thought I had fixed it (leaking seal) but now it has returned and I will have to go back into it.

Has anyone had problems with the Nev-R-Adjust system over- or under-adjusting the shoes?

I am tempted to just cut the stupid cables and go back to manually adjusting them, which is not difficult or very time consuming. At least then I will know then what the shoe clearance is and that should not change other than from wear.

Comments?

John Davies

Spokane WA

HOLY CRAP!!!  As usual, John is spot on.  I had always assumed that Nev R Adjust meant never needing adjustment.  Inexplicably, while our trailer always felt like it braked well, neither pushing or pulling, the brake controller on our F150 had to be set to 10 (= 100%) to get there.  Our E2 only weighs 1/2 of the towing capacity of the Ford but we didn't want to look a gift horse in the mouth so let it be.  The last time I lubed the suspension, while I had the trailer jacked up, we ran an informal test by spinning the tires and applying the brakes.  Two of the wheels could still be spun with difficulty but not dead stopped by the brakes.  Followed the process John laid out for adjusting the brakes and found that those wheels were wayyyy out of adjustment.  Re-tested and all good.  Have not towed yet to see where the new brake control adjustment will end up but having super limited braking on two of the wheels goes a long way towards explaining having to set the controller higher to do more work.

I am super over due to replace the assemblies all around which is suggested for every 12k miles.  Will either be upgrading the system to disks or dumbing it down to go with a Dexter manual set up on the next round  Thank you all for the discussion.

• Like 1

SOLD:  2021 Elite 2, Twin Bed, Lithium & Solar, 3000W Inverter

SOLD:  2022 Ford F150, 3.5L V6 EcoBoost, 4x4 Supercab, Trailer Tow Package

• Moderators

On all three of the Ford F-150's I've owned that came with the Ford brake controller, they were set at either 5 or 6.  On gravel or rain slick roads I could back that off to 4 or 5.

Bill

• Like 3

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 6 months later...
On 6/2/2018 at 9:14 AM, John E Davies said:

Video showing how I found the problem, please view and comment....

Excellent video.  I bet a whole bunch of folks would VERY much appreciate you marking up the picture with the appropriate locations to apply a very small amount of High Temp Brake Grease.  A bit of grease every three or four years or so would do wonders for many brake hang-ups.  

GJ

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg