Hull #366 in production!

thompsonkd

Hi! We are Kim and David Thompson, RV Newbies, from Waynesville, NC. In January we had made the decision to purchase a new Airstream 19' Flying Cloud - even had a downpayment in place. A week later while camping at St George State Park in Florida, we noticed a shiny white camper in the campsite next to us. Sitting around the campfire that night we googled Oliver Travel Trailers, then waited and waited the next morning for the owners to come out their door - I just had to get inside and take a look! Turns out the owners actually live just 25 minutes away from us in Western North Carolina! Long story short, we were overwhelmingly impressed, so we rerouted our trip home to include a factory tour in Hohenwald - then cancelled our Airstream order! After deliberating, researching, and making all the tough decisions on colors, surfaces, bells and whistles, our Ollie went into production in early May and we will be driving to Hohenwald July 29th to pick her up the following morning. We are literally counting down the days -and filling the guest room with "Ollie stuff"!

Many many thanks to the members of this forum - being new to RV camping we've gathered so much helpful information already - and it feels so great to know when we run into problems we will have a great team of support at our fingertips. We are really looking forward to being a part of the Ollie Community!

• Thanks 2

Kim and David Thompson Nomads' Nest 2018 LE2 #366 2018 Toyota Tundra, 4x4, 5.7L

Congratulations! I am anxious to hear more about your comparison shopping with an Airstream. After 12 years Off the Grid Boondocking with two Airstreams, a 23 foot and currently a 25 foot, we are waiting to see our first Oliver in the Rocky Mountain West.

After eight years we had 'Boondocked' the 23 foot Airstream to handle National Forest and BLM roads and wash board road vibrations with hardware upgrades ourselves. This is currently being done to our 2014- 25 foot Airstream. This time 'piano hinges' to cabinet doors that use hinges that vibrate loose on mountain roads.

You have an excellent Tow Vehicle with the 5.7L engine and solid transmission. When near Boulder City, Nevada... I sure would like to get a... peek.

• Thanks 2

Welcome! I'm also curious about your thoughts as an almost-Airstream owner. We never considered Airstream mostly due to the aluminum (we get hail here) but also cost and not enough ground clearance.

I laughed about the guest room comment. Ours is in the same condition!

• Thanks 2

2018 OLEII #344   |   2018 Ford Expedition

AZCACOGAKSMONMTNWYsm.jpg

Same last name and similar experience. I spent about a year deciding on the purchase of a 27' front bedroom Airstream. Negotiated a price, decided on a tow vehicle and called the dealer to place the order. The fellow I was dealing with was on vacation so I decided to wait until he returned. Then I found the Oliver on the web. Drove to the factory and ordered an Elite II in October 2015. Haven't looked back!

• Thanks 2

Don

2020 Kimberley Kruiser T3

2019 Ram 2500 Diesel

States I visited with my Ollie (Sold October, 2019)

States Visited Map

• Moderators

Kim & David -

Now that you are on board we have just about all corners of this mountain covered in Ollies. I really didn't enjoy the wait and it seemed like a very long winter between the order and the pickup. However, it certainly was worth it. If you ever plan to get over here on the south side of the mountain send me a PM and hopefully we can get together.

Bill

• Thanks 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Welcome, we were in the same dilemma almost 14 months ago. Except we didn't even consider the spare room. We had more room in the garage. We set up the Camp Chef stove so we could try out the oven. We found we needed a folding table to set it on. Then the chairs, and another table for between the chairs, and a mat. A tool box, pillows, bedding, food, dishes, eating utensils, towels (paper and cotton) water, hoses, extension cords, adapters, and totes for the little stuff, whew. Then we had to see where, along with the dog, where it was all going to fit in the truck. Being 1500 to 1800 miles away we didn't want to run back home for something. We had blocking, chocks, even some firewood, and strike anywhere matches, even a toaster. Then came the realisation that they had stores like Tractor Supply, Wally World, and regional grocery stores near by. We probably could have left a lot at home. We are glad that we had an extra water hose, fittings and hose for sewer, and a 30 amp extension cord. Amazing how many times a campgrounds facilities are just out of reach. We are still removing "stuff" we have not used...

We are most thankful that we found the Oliver. We started our research by looking at the Airstreams. Most of the used ones ads said new floors all done, and maybe only $600 or so for a nice polish job. Hmmm.

• Thanks 2

• Moderators

Welcome from another Thompson family. I’m sure you’ll be happy with your decision. This is our first trailer as well. The hard part is waiting to pick it up! Mike

• Thanks 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Thanks BoondockingAirstream! You asked about our Airstream vs Oliver decision. For over a year we saw ourselves in a small Airstream - we loved the iconic nature of them, the quality and stylish interior - we breifly considered the Base Camp, then the 16' Scout, then settled on the 19' Flying Cloud - but in the back of my mind I realized we would in time feel the need to go further up, to the 23', for a "just right fit" for extended 3 month or so trips. But that was beyond the budget and really much more than we wanted to ultimately tow. Coming from a backpacker background, we wanted to be a little more nimble, and we also wanted to be boondockers which means we would have had to make additions/modifications (composting toilet, solar, more batteries, etc) as you know, meaning more money. When we stumbled on the Oliver and followed with the factory tour we were sold on the commitment to quality, the clean bright zen like interior, the great storage, the ability to customize for our camping preferences - including true 4 season camping which is important to us, and the perfect arrangement for two (we have the twin floor plan). It was like Goldielocks finding the "just right fit". No need to ever have to go up in size - we would be able to get it "right" the first time around. That was big. The Oliver community support and loyalty and the company's 5 star customer service were huge selling points too - especially since we are RV newbies - we really need that help! Anyway, there is no doubt in our minds that we made the right choice for our particular needs.

So, when we find ourselves in Boulder City, you bet we'd be happy to give you a shout and let you take a peek! (But maybe by then you too will have an Ollie on order!)

Kim

• Thanks 1

Hi Rumline! Thank goodness for guest rooms! I replied back to BoondockingAirstream regarding our Airstream vs Oliver choice so I hope you are able to see that reply - being new to the forum and how it works I am still figuring things out. if not, I will repost it to you. I didn't realize Airstreams have less ground clearance - more reason to feel better about our decision.

Hope your countdown to delivery day goes fast - when is it? For us, we have 56 days - sigh!

Kim

Hi Don! Poor Airstream - they keep losing "almost" buyers to Oliver! Hearing these similar experiences helps us feel even more confident. Thank you for sharing!

Kim

Hi WNC neighbor! We knew you were in our neck of the woods! Another WNC Ollie owner suggested a nearby break in camp after our delivery to help us shake things out. A tiny micro Ollie rally - maybe you would want to join in? Being new to the forum I haven't figured out how to PM yet.

Kim

Hi Mainiac! Your Ollie stash in the garage is exactly like us now - even down to the toaster!!! We're going to need and extra large shoe horn to get all this stuff in! I am putting the brakes on any further shopping. And you're right about red flags going up about those "new floors" in Airstreams - we so love the fact that there literally is nothing to rot and replace in the Ollie! Thanks for sharing -

Kim

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the welcome Mike! 56 days to pick up - I thought making all the surfaces/option decisions was tough, but this is killing us! We are filling the time with planning a two week trip in September with #366 - headed to Michigan - Sleeping Bear Dunes and then Tahquamenon Falls and Picture Rocks in the Upper Peninsula. Two shake down weekend camps beforehand. Sure hope we will have our sea legs by then!

Kim

Hi Kim, your replies are visible to all, so thank you. (If you want to speak directly to one person and not have the entire Interwebz see it, you can send them a private message by clicking on their name and then on the "Message" button on the right side of the screen)

Our pickup day is a week from tomorrow. We placed our order at the beginning of January* and we've been in the "try to be patient" mode for so long that we haven't broken out of that yet...it's almost surreal. This weekend it finally occurred to us that we need to start packing/organizing all that guest room stuff.

* We could have chosen an earlier pickup date but my better half is a teacher and we had to wait for her summer break to start.

2018 OLEII #344   |   2018 Ford Expedition

AZCACOGAKSMONMTNWYsm.jpg

• Moderators

Kim & David -

I can feel the excitement in our words! And, rightfully so. Since your delivery date is only 56 days away, I will still be in Idaho. Just about as soon as I return from the West, we will be headed to the South Carolina beaches for a bit of sun and surf. By the middle to end of September I will be back in town for at least a month or so and you two will have just about everything sorted out. However, my offer still stands - if there is anything that I can do or help with just let me know.

Bill

p.s. I will send you a PM so that you can see a bit of how that works.

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

• 2 months later...

Hull number 366 aka: Nomads’ Nest was picked up last week after what felt like an eternity of waiting during it’s production. We absolutely LOVE her!!! We spent 6 nights camping (1000 Trails/ Natchez Trace and Cumberland Mountain State Park) getting to know all the new systems and procedures and putting the beginnings of our personal touch in place. She is home now in Waynesville NC. May the adventures begin!

Again, many thanks to all that share their experience and knowledge on this forum and on the Oliver Trailer Owners FB Page -  both have been treasures of information and support for us already. Finally, I just have to give a big shout out to Phil, Anita and Rodney in sales - their customer service excels!                        Kim and David Thompson

996D3273-CF4B-4C70-8450-9724B00A5608.thumb.jpeg.d1f55b21e3587d02b12fd1b9b7c8537e.jpeg

26B1D13A-CBCE-444D-A66A-0DD38CB417F3.thumb.jpeg.a372c299e841bd377a80c131854492b5.jpeg

BDDE8047-9D6C-4BD4-9DB6-7C804328FC45.thumb.jpeg.972e69251f6fad5b99da38a0e022e75c.jpeg

• Thanks 4

• Moderators

Your trailer looks great! Wishing you many happy adventures in your new Oliver.

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.