Monroe shock absorber warranty? Two blown and leaking!

1 hour ago, Dave and Kimberly said:

I've been following this (since first seeing it and then reading the older posts)... but is this doesn't seem to be "Dexter problem" but rather an Oliver problem.   They welded and put together the frame.  It certainly looks wrong... and its evidently been happening for a while?  Has Oliver been made aware of this?    Sure would like to see them rectify this soon!

I opened a ticket on this topic with Oliver early last week.  I sent them these two photos from our trailer, and commented that I would like assurance that the shock absorbers are properly mounted and safe (it does not look like the best of designs when the rubber gasket and mounting plates overhang the frame bracket).  

I received the following answer: " I looked under a couple of the camper and the spacing looks to be the same on all of the units as it is on yours. The cracking is normal as well."  

While the shock absorber mount may be the same on all of the current units, it is clearly installed so that only a portion of the rubber bushing is doing its job—the other portion doesn’t touch the frame mount.  While this is probably safe enough, the shock absorber bolts might not need to be tightened as much if the entire bushing had contact with the frame mount, and in which case the rubber bushings might not be cracking so early in the life of the shock.  In any case, the shock absorbers would not come with a full rubber bushing if the manufacturer intended for only a portion of the bushing to have contact with the frame.

My next step was to send an inquiry to the shock absorber manufacturer, but without removing and inspecting the shocks closely, I do not see a brand or manufacturer's name.  Does anyone have more information on these black shocks with no apparent brand name?

I like JD's suggestion of installing a heavy flat washer on the upper mounts.  

For those of you with older trailers: what have you chosen for replacement shock absorbers?

IMG_9600.JPG

IMG_9601.JPG

2021 Oliver LE2
Ram 2500 diesel

I know that a natural result of a forum like this is that any "problem" tends to get a bit more press time.   So with that in mind, I've learned to try to not get overly excited about one-off problems and instead watch for those impacting more customers.   My concern rises a little bit however, when they do know about something and don't seem to put effort into a resolution.    It doesn't take an engineer to see that something just isn't right in this case.  Your service ticket response tells us that it's the same on all the units currently being built and for some reason that person thought that was a satisfactory answer??   I wonder if this would merit a phone call into Oliver... to try and run this up the chain of command a bit higher?   Anything related to the suspension could become a "safety" issue... and normally that will get a company's attention a bit faster.

I'm just someone on the list... waiting on mine to be built and would really like to see it resolved before then!   

2022 Elite II, Hull #1097  Elli Rose 🌹 and she has the solar panels with the 390Ah lithium batteries.  Our tow vehicle is a 2019 Ford Lariat F-150 4wd, 3.5L Eco-boost, 3.55 rear end, with the Max tow package.  Elli Rose also has the street side awning and several walnut and cherry mods on the inside.

TravelMap.png.b89ef2d7bc27b1ea3b58f831ca5bd799.png

1 hour ago, Dave and Kimberly said:

Anything related to the suspension could become a "safety" issue... and normally that will get a company's attention a bit faster.

Keep in mind that it is very rare to find a travel trailer with factory installed shock absorbers. While they certainly help with the ride quality and they definitely help to keep the contents less shook up, I doubt that they add any actual towing stability to a typical poor quality leaf spring suspension design. So where I am headed is, I don't think this is a safety issue. It is however distressing for an owner to deal with, since there is no reason those bushings shouldn't last for a decade. If correctly installed....

In the past Oliver has reacted very quickly when true safety issues have arisen, like the missing inverter ground wire recall from several years back. Anything that could cause a fire or electrically shock a human gets quick response, that is the liability lawyers in action.

Split rubber bushings? Don't hold your breath on this one. On cars the suspension bushings are frequently cracked after a few years and it has no effect on them. When pieces start to fall out, then you need to replace them.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2021 at 10:52 AM, FrankC said:

Yeah, apparently making shock bushings that don’t degrade & split is an unknown science that seems to elude most companies. 🙄 Here’s a pic of the shock bushings on my 2 year old F-250. 

But at least the bushings on the F-250 appear to be fully supported, not hanging off the edge of the support bracket.  I hope Oliver takes steps soon to get the holes for the shocks drilled more accurately (further inboard) so the bushing is fully supported by the bracket.

Hull #1291

Central Idaho

2022 Elite II

Tow Vehicle:  2019 Tundra Double Cab 4x4, 5.7L with tow package

ARCOIDNMOKORTNTXUTsm.jpg

• Moderators
On 10/24/2021 at 4:05 PM, Fritz said:

l like JD's suggestion of installing a heavy flat washer on the upper mounts.  

The original idea was from @Mike D.. John e Davies offered alternatives. Just to set the record  straight. 

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• 2 weeks later...

Good suggestion,  I’ll turn in a ticket and make a recommendation.   My shock bushings are relatively new, so not cracked yet, but just a matter of time.   For those replacing their shocks, you can re-use 2 dished washers from each of the old shocks and install between the bushings and the flat bracket surface.  In the meantime, I’m going to install some heavy 3/8” fender washers.  

• Like 1

“Ramble” - 2021 Legacy Elite II #797;  2020 Ford F-250

We are coming from the Airstream world and where looking for a better company to deal with. Oliver seems small enough to as for changes like this that only male sense unless some engineer can explain how this set up is better outboard where the shock placement is now? Our trailer will be Heading north of the boarder and Canadian roads suck! I'll be looking at different shocks for the look run. Old Man Emu take a pounding on my 4 runner and lasted 250,000km before a change over as I though it was time. No leaking or crappy bushings. 

1 hour ago, Wanderers said:

I'll be looking at different shocks for the look run. Old Man Emu take a pounding on my 4 runner and lasted 250,000km before a change over as I though it was time. No leaking or crappy bushings. 

If you do locate a better quality shock, please start a new thread with that information. I am sure there are many owners who would like to upgrade. It is a specialized RV shock, maybe OME offers one, but I would not count on it. The only stout trailer shocks I have ever seen, that are short, have eyes at both ends, rather than these straight shafts. Here are the specs for the Monroe 555001, BTW do not pay that much! That is double the typical street price.

90069868-5E52-4373-BE6D-71163258A6E4.thumb.jpeg.68aeb070bf2c34b237f4fda3dbb42398.jpeg

I don’t know when they changed from yellow to black, the latter will be much harder to inspect for a leak. I sure wish we could get this suspension on an Ollie.

31CBEC1F-E6EC-4A0E-AACE-A2F5CB1784D9.thumb.jpeg.cdcbafe0e30ac94813e86fb7e0fdaa24.jpeg

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• 1 year later...

OK...  SHOCKS.  

Back story:  I noticed last week that we may have a couple of leaky Monroe shocks after doing a fairly major undercarriage power wash of our Ollie's running gear.  That said, I ordered 4 Monroe replacements last Thursday and we wandered off for an extended Easter weekend at a lakeside state park in southern NM to get into some warmer climes.  Anyhow, that was a 380+ round trip drill, right?  

So, as I was cleaning the rig this morning, FedEx arrives with the replacements - perfect frigg'n timing.  I jacked-up and jack-standed the Ollie and commenced the shock R&R drill many of you have done over the years.

IMG_7086.thumb.jpeg.1a04d9cd4cc8fa6904dd2bc1ea78d1c4.jpeg

Here's the deal...  I'm fairly certain the shocks I removed on this drill were originals from the Oliver factory.  The R&R went smooth as it could have.  The only modification was adding fender washers on the upper and lower brackets and fresh nyloc nuts.

IMG_7082.thumb.jpeg.8796a2b22f27a1199bb07ee13f61ba22.jpeg

At the end of the day - uplifted peace of mind regarding the running gear package.  As it turned out (see pix) 3 of the four Monroes were Tango Uniform - they were just along for the ride and not providing any stability to the overall suspension system.  A functional shock when compressed will expand to its fully extended length.  The pic shows 3 of the removed Monroes compressed and not extending.  Only one was marginally operational.  Not good, IMHO.

IMG_7085.thumb.jpeg.d6c002e0ce3f77f94a75e4c7c89ea194.jpeg

IMG_7087.thumb.jpeg.b96c17440993e9145f0d07fd593b3b4c.jpeg

RECOMMENDATION:  I believe these units were at least 5+ years old.  So, if any of y'all out there are kinda like me and can't sleep at night when you know something's "not quite right" - and you may have 5+ year old vintage shocks, take a couple hours and check 'em out before your next road trip.  Granted the Ollie suspension isn't "bomb proof" but it is somewhat robust as compared to other SOBs.  With dual leafs and the Dexter coupler, the shocks contribute to stabilizing g-forces and actually aid in reduceing tire wear while being towed.  That is... if the shocks are working as designed and not blown out.

I'm planning to check them annually when I do my wheel bearings...  Just say'n.

Safe travels --- looking forward to seeing y'all down the road, until then;

Cheers!

• Thanks 4
  • Like 6

spacer.png

Art, Diane, Oscar & Magnus (double-Aaarrf!)

• 2022 TUNDRA w/Airlift Load Lifter 5000 kit/2017 LE II; Hull #226 "Casablanca", 12VDC Starlink kit, 3x Battle Borns; Victron Cerbo GX, SmartShunt, MPPT Solar Controller, & DC-DC Charger; HAM call-sign:  W0ABX

Interesting/informative thread, in that we are getting SNYSDUP ready for a trip up to AK...  And I was going to check out the shocks when I do the bearings & seals before the adventure.

Thanks to all that contributed, and I will try to sleep tonight without dwelling on it until tomorrow, when I'll have a look and hope it is not too shocking...

B~Out

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Maggie & Bryan | Arnegard, ND | 2020 LE II "Twins" Hull #665 | 2021 RAM 2500  6.4L HEMI Gasser  4dr  6.5' bed

ABBCMBNBNTNSONPEQCSKYTALARCTDEFLGAILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMIMNMSMONENHNJNYNCNDOHOKPARISCSDTNTXVTVAWVWIxlg.jpg.d41b39fcf844ad1935d35acdc8a6c203.jpg

14 hours ago, MAX Burner said:

RECOMMENDATION:  I believe these units were at least 5+ years old.  So, if any of y'all out there are kinda like me and can't sleep at night when you know something's "not quite right" - and you may have 5+ year old vintage shocks, take a couple hours and check 'em out before your next road trip. 

Woke up early this morning @ 2:30AM and checked to see what was on the forum (true story). After seeing your post decided to order a set of shocks for our 2015 LE2 Ollie. Got back to sleep easily after making that decision! 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Bill #75 LE2

49 minutes ago, rideandfly said:

Woke up early this morning @ 2:30AM and checked to see what was on the forum (true story). After seeing your post decided to order a set of shocks for our 2015 LE2 Ollie. Got back to sleep easily after making that decision! 😁

@rideandfly@MAX Burner
When the time comes for our shocks to be replaced I will consider a set of these for the new shocks. They are likely to last a lot longer than the cheap rubber bushings   - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ens-9-8101r?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKCAjwrdmhBhBBEiwA4Hx5g1EmNbsDrEQeAq0_LONOYG_UhdlvY6ePhChw2orxOwCvV5eUD0qi7hoCoC0QAvD_BwE

Patriot🇺🇸

• Like 5

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor aka- Beast

IMG_2879.jpeg

In my quest to find something better than the Monroe shocks I was given this part from KYB but I've learned that it might not be suitable because of the exposed rod and the beating the underside of our trailers take from rocks, road debris, etc.  This shock suggestion came from Shockwarehouse.com

This part could be a consideration if there was some sort of protective sleeve for it but I'm not sure that one exists. 

I was not able to find a cross reference to other manufacturers like Bilstein.  This shock was all I found that was reasonably compatible with the Monroe specs.

I've read comments from Monroe buyers that some of their shocks never extended properly but there was also feedback from RV owners that used the Monroe's and they had good luck with them. 

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2023_04/7E6D6F08-80F9-41B7-B869-824755031018.jpeg.77e6cc8197fcbc2a44dd8dab025d4029.jpeg

• Like 2

ALCTKYMENHNYNCPATNVTVAWVsm.jpg2021 Elite 2 Hull # 832 "Bucket List"

2021 F250 7.3L Gas / 4.30 AR

On 10/24/2021 at 6:49 AM, mossemi said:

I think saving the original bushing washers would be a better option than a fender washer.  So maybe I’ll save my old ones when I replace the shocks.

Best Idea I have heard all day!  Bravo!

GJ

• Like 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

On 11/17/2021 at 9:27 AM, John E Davies said:

I sure wish we could get this suspension on an Ollie.

I thinking that vast majority of OTT owners would not need or want such a heavy, complex, costly to purchase and install, and expensive to maintain suspension.     

GJ

• Like 2

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

1 hour ago, connor77 said:

In my quest to find something better than the Monroe shocks I was given this part from KYB but I've learned that it might not be suitable because of the exposed rod and the beating the underside of our trailers take from rocks, road debris, etc.

Could you rob the shield off the Monroe shocks and use it with your KYB's and reuse the old Monroe cupped washers too?

GJ

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Geronimo John said:

Could you rob the shield off the Monroe shocks and use it with your KYB's and reuse the old Monroe cupped washers too?

GJ

I might order both shocks and see what kind of a mess I'd get into if I tried to retrofit the shield from the Monroe. 

It's unfortunate that there isn't a better option out there.  Ultimately, I'm sure I'll end up ordering the Monroe's and keep my fingers crossed that I get 4 decent ones. 

Thanks for the clever idea GJ! 

• Like 3

ALCTKYMENHNYNCPATNVTVAWVsm.jpg2021 Elite 2 Hull # 832 "Bucket List"

2021 F250 7.3L Gas / 4.30 AR

1 hour ago, connor77 said:

I might order both shocks and see what kind of a mess I'd get into if I tried to retrofit the shield from the Monroe. 

I am fairly certain that it is welded at the upper mount. You might have better luck fitting rubber motorcycle fork or 4x4 shock booties.

https://www.amazon.com/Supreme-Suspensions-Universal-Lifted-Trucks/dp/B07K4CSQSD/ref=sr_1_18?crid=FQ28L7L7JFB6&keywords=motorcycle+suspension+rubber+boot&qid=1681360885&sprefix=motorcycle+suspension+rubber+boot%2Caps%2C211&sr=8-18 

Clamp the top to the upper mount with a plastic bushing, cut off the bottom and let it dangle down over the shock body. leave the bottom open for drainage. I’m not saying that would work, but I think changing the steel ones is a non starter…unless you are a skilled welder.

John Davies

Spokane WA

17FFBE41-E99A-4CBE-8415-89B3BCFBD4A4.jpeg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, John E Davies said:

I am fairly certain that it is welded at the upper mount. You might have better luck fitting rubber motorcycle fork or 4x4 shock booties.

I like your version a lot better than my original "El Cheapo" approach!