Resolving Three Issues with Ollie Window Shades

Spike

The issues:

1. We wanted to flip the shade frames to allow more privacy when needed. With the “night” shades on the bottom--instead of the top--one can raise them up so that one can still view the outside world without having to consider that someone outside, would get a nice view of one’s midsection as one walks about the cabin.

2. We wanted to increase the “grip” of the shades so that they would better stay in place. Sometimes our blinds would slide down after being pulled in place. Since we figured that the “night” blinds are heavier than the “day” blinds, we thought this extra grip was even more important if we were going to reverse them.

3. We wanted to better secure the shade frames to the interior wall. Our frames have frequently come loose from the clips that are meant to hold them in place, actually falling off a couple of times.

We tackled the second issue first. Someone on this forum or one of the Oliver Facebook pages suggested retying the strings to the springs on the top and bottom of the frames to increase the tension. (If you pull the frames off of the clips holding them to the wall, you will see those springs and the strings.) This proved very frustrating. (I think you will agree if you attempt this task; you might also appreciate the nimbleness of the worker who accomplished the initial tie job.)

I thought there must be another way to increase the tension. There seemed to be enough space on the corner of the frame to insert an object that would stretch the strings around the corner and thus increase the tension. I came up with placing those do-hickies that are used to secure screws in drywall on all four corners of the frame. This seemed to increase the tension just about the right amount. (One nice thing about those do-hickies is that they have little grooves into which the strings can sit.)

Next, we tackled the third issue. After looking at the clips and how they fit into the groove in the frame, it seemed to me that spreading them out wider might make them hold better. So I unscrewed them from the wall and went at them with a couple of vise grips, pulling the sides of the clips out just a little bit. (The clips are surprisingly strong.)

With a little effort, I was able to smack the frame back into place with the palm of my hand, upside down from the way they were originally placed at the Oliver factory. (One should be careful to make sure that the lips of the clips are centered in the groove before applying much pressure so as not to damage the plastic of the frames.)

I hope the photos I upload here help portray the process. I have just completed this project on the window over the dinette. The frame is flipped, it seems more securely attached to the wall, and the “grip” of the “day” and “night” shades is stronger. I plan to do the other four frames soon.

I apologize for my Cro-Magnon approach to the project. Unlike some folks on this forum, who are retired engineers, mechanics, and the like, I am a relatively unhandy retired academic and musician. But I thought that I would post this in case another Ollie owner wanted to tackle a similar project, perhaps having dealt with similar issues.

IMG_6803.thumb.jpg.673f5a8c82f4350ff2521c50c9a03597.jpg

IMG_6804.thumb.jpg.11c4196e67f3c35a5a8f9ad8000ccea2.jpg

IMG_6806.thumb.jpg.f3e937502c99db57f800b47404353e4f.jpg

IMG_6809.thumb.jpg.da5129a17cf461814f6c38cecf6d2db4.jpg

• Thanks 12

Onward through the Fog!

EarthPicks of Cochise County

AZCACOKSMONVNMORTNTXUTmed.jpg

One thing I forgot to mention, but perhaps is obvious: I needed to first pry the strings away from those corners with a very small screwdriver before placing the ribbed anchor do-hickies between the strings and the corners that increased the tension and thus the grip.

Onward through the Fog!

Has anyone had trouble with your pleats not folding properly when opening the privacy section? While in storage, I've left them open hoping that the heat will help them "remember" what they're supposed to do. I'll find out tomorrow if it worked.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
Chris & Duke Chadwell
🐾Maddie & Baxter🐾
Elite II Hull 292
2022 F-250 Lariat 7.3 Godzilla 4x4 Lakeland,FL

Yes we have, the "night" shade on the curb side, and the street side wouldn't retract properly, folded up improperly it left a crease in one of the pleats on the curb side, not really noticeable unless you're looking for it.

The solution was to flip the curtains over so the night shade is on the bottom, it works much better that way.

Steve

• Thanks 1

STEVEnBETTY

• Moderators

Chris & Duke -

By "open" I assume you mean that the shades are as compact as you can make them and can see out the windows. If you made sure that each of the pleats were nice and straight as you stuffed them into the ends of the frame and it has been both nice and hot and a bit humid while they were in there, I'm guessing that they will indeed "re-set". However, just about as soon as you touch them again they will form another crease - nature of the beast I suppose.

Bill

• Thanks 1

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

This is just a follow up to my original shady post.

We were successful in flipping the blinds, strengthening the grip so they won't slip down so easily, and more firmly attaching them to the clips. (Please see above.)

However, when widening the clips with vise grips, I cracked one of the brackets. I had, previous to tackling these tasks, sent an email to Auto-Motion, the manufacturers of the blinds. I received a phone call from one of their employees today, Vic. After I told him that I solved the problem with the blinds coming loose but had cracked one of the clips, he graciously told me that he would send a few more clips to me.

He also said that I had rightly identified the problem: The clips were too narrow to firmly hold the shades. However, he gave me some information that might be helpful to other Oliver owners: He said that, if the screws holding the clips were driven in too tightly, the clips could narrow and not hold as snugly as needed. I'm not sure if this was an issue for our clips, but they WERE very firmly attached to the spacers with the screws.

Anyway, I thought that I would pass this information along. I CAN say that widening them the way I did with the vise grips seemed to help: The shades seemed to need more force to pop them back into the grooves and, once in place, seemed to be more tightly affixed to the wall by the clips.

• Thanks 6

Onward through the Fog!

• 6 months later...
  • Moderators

Spike, thanks again for your practical solution to the falling window shade problem.  Our daytime shade recently started falling down on the curb side window.  I took the shade down and I was just about ready to start taking it apart to see what I could do to fix it and bingo, I thought of your post and the use of the plastic wall anchors.  I must admit that I hate those things, but I never throw them away.  So I found 4 of them and installed them per your instructions and problem solved.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas,

Mike

• Thanks 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

for those who have done this "shade flipping" thing, brilliant, I love it and want to do it.  What brought me to this thread is that one of our window shades on our new to us 18 LEII popped loose and I wondered how to get it re attached.  Only one of the clips is loose, so it's not horrible, but I'd like to know how to fix it AND then turn all of our shades upside down.  I was not able to "smack the frame back into place with the palm of my hand" and I'm a "never force things, it won't end well" person, so maybe I didn't smack hard enough.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out how to pull that whole thing off the window so I can do the flipping and I don't see anyone say how they did that step.  Help?  Thanks

2018 LE2 #333  "the Otter"

2015 Silverado 2500HD

Hi Liana, I just did that with our new LEII.  You have to pull hard on the blind near the clips to get them to release.  There were 3 on the top and 3 on the bottom of ours - not sure about the 2018, but you'd have at least 4.  Once you pop the blind off you can figure out how to tighten the loose clip, then just flip the blind around and you'll now be able to see how to line up the back of the blind with the clips.  I just pushed hard to get it to pop in as well - one at a time.  I did not try to do multiple at once.

You will be comfortable once you get one clip to release - so maybe try a few until you get an easier one.

Good luck!

Edited by NCeagle
  • Thanks 2

States Visited Map

2020 Elite II, Hull 688 --- 2021 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax Diesel

Sometimes the clip is slightly misaligned and you can't easily push the shade into place.  If that's the case, forcing it might bend the clip. You can try feeling behind the shade to see if the clip is aligned to the channel, and if it's not, you can usually wiggle the shade enough to get it aligned.  You can also try pulling the blind completely off and seeing if the clip is bent, twisted, etc.  Or, if they all seem OK, then you can try putting the blind back on by snapping the problem clip in first.  Sometimes the clips are just a little off and if you get the troublesome one in place first, then the others will line up enough to snap in.  

Edited by Overland
  • Thanks 2

If lined up with the clip, usually a quick "bump" with the heel part of the palm of the hand will seat it into the clip. Do a search on the forum, there is a rather extensive discussion on the whole process. From loose clips, to adjusting clips, to 'flipping' them..

• Like 1

On 1/25/2021 at 5:30 PM, Mainiac said:

If lined up with the clip, usually a quick "bump" with the heel part of the palm of the hand will seat it into the clip. Do a search on the forum, there is a rather extensive discussion on the whole process. From loose clips, to adjusting clips, to 'flipping' them..

As I said, I did search the forum and did try to bump the frame with the heel of my hand.

2018 LE2 #333  "the Otter"

2015 Silverado 2500HD

On 1/25/2021 at 11:45 AM, Liana said:

for those who have done this "shade flipping" thing, brilliant, I love it and want to do it.  What brought me to this thread is that one of our window shades on our new to us 18 LEII popped loose and I wondered how to get it re attached.  Only one of the clips is loose, so it's not horrible, but I'd like to know how to fix it AND then turn all of our shades upside down.  I was not able to "smack the frame back into place with the palm of my hand" and I'm a "never force things, it won't end well" person, so maybe I didn't smack hard enough.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out how to pull that whole thing off the window so I can do the flipping and I don't see anyone say how they did that step.  Help?  Thanks

Here you go. Be careful working with those stainless steel clips, they can draw blood, especially if you use a power driver on the screws.

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/2202-how-to-fix-and-flip-your-blinds/

A couple of mine were falling off every trip. After fixing, there have been no worries for four camping seasons.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

Here's additional shade information. We had some cords to wear out and replaced some of them a few years ago.  Found it best to replace with the same diameter cord, using larger diameter cord makes the assembly stick when I replaced some.  Can't find the original cord diameter in my notes.

IMG_2312-M.jpg

IMG_2313-M.jpg

IMG_2314-M.jpg

Oliver%20Shade%203-M.jpg

Oliver%20Shade%204-M.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 5

Bill #75 LE2

On 12/23/2018 at 1:59 PM, mossemi said:

Spike, thanks again for your practical solution to the falling window shade problem.  Our daytime shade recently started falling down on the curb side window.  I took the shade down and I was just about ready to start taking it apart to see what I could do to fix it and bingo, I thought of your post and the use of the plastic wall anchors.  I must admit that I hate those things, but I never throw them away.  So I found 4 of them and installed them per your instructions and problem solved.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas,

Mike

If you are not flipping the window and just want to use the anchors to increase the tension on the cords do you have to remove the frame?  I guess I'm not sure what the insides of the window assemble looks like.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

On 1/31/2021 at 7:10 PM, rideandfly said:

Here's additional shade information. We had some cords to wear out and replaced some of them a few years ago.  Found it best to replace with the same diameter cord, using larger diameter cord makes the assembly stick when I replaced some.  Can't find the original cord diameter in my notes.

IMG_2312-M.jpg

IMG_2313-M.jpg

IMG_2314-M.jpg

Oliver%20Shade%203-M.jpg

Oliver%20Shade%204-M.jpg

Thanks for the great diagram . . . . and photos.  Looks scary to me.

I would prefer to have them installed with the privacy shade at the bottom, but not at the expense of the shades not staying where you want them.  It would be nice if Oliver would install them oriented the way you request, but I can understand the confusion and disruption in the assembly line that might create.

I have emailed Automotion Shades and asked if they have any kind of installation/maintenance manual for these shades.  

Edit: I received this response from Auto-Motion:

Hello Susan,

Sorry for the delay with my reply to your questions.

At this time, we do not have specific instruction about adjusting cords for Twin pleated shades and re-installation of shade.

I spoke with the Production Manager, and it is possible to flip the shades. The frame is mounted on CLIP-ON brackets. The shade has to be removed from it and clipped back

I will check with our Engineering Department if we can provide with some instructions about tensioning the cords.

Edited by Ray and Susan Huff
  • Like 2

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Ray and Susan Huff said:

Thanks for the great diagram . . . . and photos.  Looks scary to me.

We have re-stringed two of our shades.  It looks scary but isn’t.  We worked slowly, it took a couple of hours to do each.  Ordered the string on Amazon.  They do wear out!  Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

4 hours ago, rideandfly said:

We really admired newer Ollies with white framed shades.  During the last visit to the mother ship during 2019, had a new set of white frame shades installed! We really like them!!!! 🙂

How much did they cost please? Did they charge you anything to install them? The labor time is maybe one minute per blind, once their boxes are opened. What did you do with the old ones? If they are in good shape they could be sold on eBay, easily if you saved the packaging....

Thanks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.