Resolving Three Issues with Ollie Window Shades

Spike

• Moderators
19 hours ago, Ray and Susan Huff said:

If you are not flipping the window and just want to use the anchors to increase the tension on the cords do you have to remove the frame?  I guess I'm not sure what the insides of the window assemble looks like.

Yes, the frame needs to be removed to be able to insert the anchors into the window frame.  See the original post to see the pictures of the anchor location.

Mossey

• Thanks 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

14 hours ago, Mike and Carol said:

We have re-stringed two of our shades.  It looks scary but isn’t.  We worked slowly, it took a couple of hours to do each.  Ordered the string on Amazon.  They do wear out!  Mike

It's sad that RV components are designed to last the useful life of ordinary RVs (only a few years) . . . . . . If more were built like Oliver trailers, we might have better choices.

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

9 hours ago, Ray and Susan Huff said:

It's sad that RV components are designed to last the useful life of ordinary RVs (only a few years) . . . . . . If more were built like Oliver trailers, we might have better choices.

Do you think the average Ollie buyer would be willing to pay an extra $5,000+ premium for a fully integrated system of compact, reliable, high efficiency diesel and DC powered components? One that essentially forced them to abandon the established RV supply and repair chains, and would be very expensive to fix if a part failed? One that most likely forced them to also buy solar panels and a large lithium battery bank and more expensive  chargers to run it when not plugged in at a campground?

DC compressor refrigerators, DC air conditioners, and diesel marine heating systems are great, but they require the owner to have very deep pockets.... My guess is that most people do consider the purchase price of an Ollie as a major part of their buying decision for what is really a very small trailer. Oliver can’t build these with high end systems for just the 1% who might be willing to pay extra. And we have not yet addressed the low-end electrical panels, and the junky brakes and suspension.... 

My point of view, of course. 😬

John Davies

Spokane WA

Edited by John E Davies

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

15 hours ago, John E Davies said:

Do you think the average Ollie buyer would be willing to pay an extra $5,000+ premium for a fully integrated system of compact, reliable, high efficiency diesel and DC powered components? One that essentially forced them to abandon the established RV supply and repair chains, and would be very expensive to fix if a part failed? One that most likely forced them to also buy solar panels and a large lithium battery bank and more expensive  chargers to run it when not plugged in at a campground?

DC compressor refrigerators, DC air conditioners, and diesel marine heating systems are great, but they require the owner to have very deep pockets.... My guess is that most people do consider the purchase price of an Ollie as a major part of their buying decision for what is really a very small trailer. Oliver can’t build these with high end systems for just the 1% who might be willing to pay extra. And we have not yet addressed the low-end electrical panels, and the junky brakes and suspension.... 

My point of view, of course. 😬

John Davies

Spokane WA

I see your point.  However, my intention was to suggest that if our American RV industry, as a whole. would demand better components, there wouldn't be as much junk available for building mediocre RVs.  And, yes, the consumer would have to buy into this concept.

I might be wrong, but I think the Europeans have a higher standard of quality (higher expectations) based on the components used in foreign RV products; the same goes for the automotive industry.  Or perhaps those living across the pond have less of a "throw-away mentality" and more appreciation for quality products.

All this being what it is, we are still thrilled with our Oliver.

• Thanks 1

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg

On 1/31/2021 at 7:06 PM, John E Davies said:

Here you go. Be careful working with those stainless steel clips, they can draw blood, especially if you use a power driver on the screws.

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/topic/2202-how-to-fix-and-flip-your-blinds/

A couple of mine were falling off every trip. After fixing, there have been no worries for four camping seasons.

John Davies

Spokane WA

Thank you for the link.  I've gotten up enough guts to tug the shades off the windows and flip them around.  BUT, when I did that, I found several of the screws loose (I'm sure I saw somewhere what someone else did to address this!), it seems as tho the holes for the screws that are loose are actually stripped.  So, exact opposite of the holes being too small:  one of the screws pulled all the way out of the window frame with the clip still embedded in the shade frame.  Should I just go hunt down some bigger screws?

2018 LE2 #333  "the Otter"

2015 Silverado 2500HD

17 hours ago, Liana said:

the holes for the screws that are loose are actually stripped.  So, exact opposite of the holes being too small:  one of the screws pulled all the way out of the window frame with the clip still embedded in the shade frame.  Should I just go hunt down some bigger screws?

Please submit a service order about what appears to be an ongoing problem with how these are being installed. It sounds as if the pilot hole in the frame was drilled too big, which is an easy mistake to make, but it does present problems; the next larger screw diameter may fix it, but the head will be a little bigger too. If they are using “self drilling” screws instead of regular ones, that is OK but only if the clip holes are larger, so that the clips can pull down tight and flat to the frame. The clip must be free moving in relation to the screw threads. Post some closeup pictures here for a more detailed opinion😬

John Davies 

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

25 minutes ago, John E Davies said:

Please submit a service order about what appears to be an ongoing problem with how these are being installed. It sounds as if the pilot hole in the frame was drilled too big, which is an easy mistake to make, but it does present problems; the next larger screw diameter may fix it, but the head will be a little bigger too. If they are using “self drilling” screws instead of regular ones, that is OK but only if the clip holes are larger, so that the clips can pull down tight and flat to the frame. The clip must be free moving in relation to the screw threads. Post some closeup pictures here for a more detailed opinion😬

John Davies 

Spokane WA

Thanks for the thoughts, John, I'll snap some pics later today.  I don't know if it's an "ongoing" problem, I saw the first post about the whole window shade thing in 2018 and ours is a 2018

2015 Silverado 2500HD

On 2/1/2021 at 5:44 PM, mossemi said:

Yes, the frame needs to be removed to be able to insert the anchors into the window frame.  See the original post to see the pictures of the anchor location.

Mossey

Also,  important safety tip:  when "bumping" the shade back onto the clips make sure none of your fingers is behind the frame. It's a rather painful experience! 

• Like 1

2015 Silverado 2500HD

19 hours ago, Liana said:

Thanks for the thoughts, John, I'll snap some pics later today.  I don't know if it's an "ongoing" problem, I saw the first post about the whole window shade thing in 2018 and ours is a 2018

I turned the shades on our 2020 Oliver a short time ago and did not have any loose clips (22 for 22 were snug).  This may have been something OTT became aware of through the owners and improved.  At least I hope so. 🙂

• Like 1

States Visited Map

2020 Elite II, Hull 688 --- 2021 Silverado 2500HD, 6.6L Duramax Diesel

On 2/4/2021 at 8:30 AM, John E Davies said:

John Davies 

Spokane WA

Two of these on the same frame pulled out like this. I put #10 screws instead of #8 (the #10 heads fit just fine) but there's nothing preventing the same thing happening with those

20210205_082535.jpg

2015 Silverado 2500HD

• 3 months later...

After reading this post, I emailed Phil Andrews to ask if the window shades on our LE2, scheduled for delivery in September 2021, can be installed with the blackout shade on the bottom of the frame, rather than on top. Phil said that it can be done at delivery upon request, which would save me the trouble of reversing them later. In our current T@G teardrop trailer, the window shades have the blackout shade on the bottom, which allows us to have privacy when getting ventilation with the windows open and the blackout shade pulled 3/4 of the way up.

2021 Legacy Elite 2 Twin Bed | Hull Number 894 (9/16/21 delivery) | Ram 1500 Longhorn 4x4 3.0L EcoDiesel 3.92 axleAZARCAIDMTNVNMORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg