Turbokool 12 Volt Evaporative Swamp Air Cooler

Spike

I've been researching ways that folks have been able to run their air conditioners when boondocking--using the quick start, different generators, etc. It dawned on me that there might be another solution to staying cool in the Ollie: an evaporative cooler, something similar to what we use in our home here in the Arizona high desert.

I have been reluctant to spend the money on the modifications and extra equipment that might add even more noise to the environment than the already noisy air conditioner. I know that evaporative coolers would not be a good solution for those camping east of the the Rockies with all of that humidity, but I know that we would rarely have that problem out here in the West. (The company says its product is good up to 75% RH.) This is the only system I have found so far that just might be a solution:

http://www.turbokool.net/category-s/106.htm

The company says it could be used in conjunction with an air conditioner, but with our solar panels, there might not be enough real estate on the roof of our Elite II to install an additional unit like this, so we might have to replace the existing air conditioner with this unit if we decided to purchase and install it.

I haven't researched this extensively and haven't read any independent reviews on the product, but I thought that I would see what folks on this forum might have to say about the possibility of replacing or supplementing the Oliver air conditioner with this unit.

• Thanks 1

Onward through the Fog!

EarthPicks of Cochise County

AZCACOKSMONVNMORTNTXUTmed.jpg

• Moderators

I remember the swamp cooler idea discussed a decade ago on here, but I could only find this short thread.

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/12-volt-cooling/

I don't know if anyone actually tried it. We had one in a home in Kansas in the 60s. It worked well.

I wonder if you'd have space above the main salon vent? It would be a shorter plumbing run for water line...

Edit: Amazon reviews on the turbokool unit that replaces a rooftop ac are pretty good... https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/B007HRN2LS/ref=mw_dp_cr

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Thanks, Sherry, for the reply and the links.

It seems like the ideal situation would to be to have something like this evaporative cooler--if it really works well--in addition to the AC. I don't know where one would place it, however.

I saw that someone on the thread that you linked to write something about the refrigerator location in the Ollie. That got me thinking that perhaps one could replace the microwave above the refrigerator (I know some Ollie owners have opted to leave this space as a cabinet) with the cooler, taking advantage of the existing vents for the refrigerator; in addition, that location would not be too distant from a water source in the Ollie. (Don't know if it would fit in that space, though, as it would need to sit horizontally and still have access to outside air and vent inside the cabin.)

Anyway, yes, the reviews are not too bad, and in addition to being able to run it on 12v and being quieter, the cooler modification would seem to be something to seriously consider--if one lived and traveled mostly in the West. I am surprised that there is not more information on the Internet itself about this and any similar--and successful--products using evaporative cooling.

I hope that more people will weigh in with their experience, knowledge, and/or speculations.

Onward through the Fog!

EarthPicks of Cochise County

AZCACOKSMONVNMORTNTXUTmed.jpg

• Moderator+

Sounds interesting, but in the Amazon reviews I saw where it used 10-15 gallons of water a day. In a true boondocking situation, it seems that might be a problem unless water was readily available.

Anyone have any real world knowledge of how much it might use on a daily basis?

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

Steve, I read that review. The guy had a 37 foot motorhome.... Pretty sure an Oliver would use significantly less water.... But, it's definitely a consideration

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

I read the service instructions, and all I can say is it would be a PITA to take care of, especially if the water has any substantial mineral content. I would steer well clear of this unit, but you might be willing to spend hours and hours on your knees taking it apart and reassembling it.....

Whole house humidifiers have a similar maintenance regime, but they are way easier to get to and don’t require a prolonged praying position.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.