Road spray in the basement

Townesw

• Moderators

I never had the "problem" that it seems you've got, but, I did add an extra layer of insulation and some extra weather strip in that area - mostly just because I had it laying around. The insulation I used was Reflextic

https://www.amazon.com/Reflectix-BP48010-48-Inch-10-Feet-Insulation/dp/B000BPAULS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1528721831&sr=8-2&keywords=reflextic+insulation&dpID=31Io%252BmGxiWL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

And the weatherstrip was closed cell foam from Walmart.

That basement door was a bit tight just after I added these things, but, now it is snug and nothing gets in there. Only downside is that the aluminum facing on the Reflextic leaves marks on the shower compartment door.

Bill

• Thanks 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

Readjust the latch, to compress the gasket better. There are two nuts holding the latch in position, loosen the outer nut so the latch can move, then screw the inner nut closer to the compartment door, and then retighten the outer nut back against it.

Don't over do it, experiment until you get it right.

Steve

• Thanks 3

STEVEnBETTY

Looking closer at your picture, I see what your talking about with the bottom corner of the door with no gasket in place, I just walked out and checked mine, it's the same as yours. I haven't had the amount of leakage as you're experiencing. Adding gasket material like bill did would seem to be the best fix, but I don't know about reflectix, automotive weather stripping would seem to be more appropriate.

• Thanks 2

STEVEnBETTY

• Moderators

I only put the Reflextic over the area that was already covered by that white insulation that was installed by Oliver. The weather stripping filled in the gaps that Bill & Martha show in the picture plus I simply continued with that same stripping all the way around - just because.

Bill

• Thanks 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I too found a large gap in the bottom seal, letting in dust and spray... I added a strip of 1/4 inch black high density foam rubber weather seal there, from Lowes. I also tightened the latch about a half turn. Be sure to seal the entire section of piano hinge, plus the open gap at the front.

I think maybe they wanted to leave a way for water dripping out of the shower area to escape....? Even sealed up pretty tightly, I think enough would trickle out to alert you of a plumbing problem. Plus water trickling out after you use it will run down the inside of the door, instead of down through the open hinge, so leave the head hanging to the front until it has quit.

Mudflaps on the trailer will help too, and if extended up to the underside of the hull, they are extremely effective in keeping road debris from eroding and contaminating your fresh water connections. Why they leave these completely exposed to road damage baffles me. At the very least they need a stainless guard/ deflector in front of them.

This shows the mudflap, before I added the extra foam over the hinge. I positioned the rubber so it comes up to the hull. In the first pic, the door has flexed the flap forward a little

C96EEB6A-6A2B-4309-991C-6E4C2E8D70DD.thumb.jpeg.bc50f7e1a90d67b7e03ce1bb9eee0707.jpeg

716E4E3E-5537-431B-B869-09864AE99A40.thumb.jpeg.b0550f221fff48f66977f5cf2e9b2b75.jpeg

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/how-to-rear-mud-flaps-for-the-ollie/

EDIT: found a pic of the dust entry, before sealing.

913D4DB6-D12D-4CD7-BDA8-1A6D5F2DCB47.thumb.jpeg.de9e4b7866c22d1043c40e66a98cd8f7.jpeg

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 2

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

As long as we're talking about seals and dust intrusion, it is good to check the seal on the wetbath vent, I found mine deteriorated after about 1.5 years (uncovered storage) and the same seal I purchased (from HD) would work to seal the basement door, with the extra.

• Thanks 2

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69