Bike Rack

Karla Bahr

I spent 20 year of my career as a business partner and the VP of Sales and Marketing at Yakima Racks. Hopefully I can add some value to this conversation.

To begin, the Yakima engineering team never liked mounting bikes to the rear of trailers. This was unpopular with the engineers because of the long fulcrum and the leverage at the bumper of a trailer can act like a launch. The further the bikes are extended behind the bumper the more dramatic the effect. The forces here are magnitudes greater than anywhere else you can attach gear to your rig. Anytime your trailer bucks or goes through a dip, the forces transferred to the bike/gear system are much greater than any other location.

The bumper of a trailer is appealing because your gear is mostly out of the way and the access is really convenient. Unfortunately, the back of your vehicle is the absolute worst place for your bike’s drive train. Your chain and gears suck up girt like a magnet. Given other reasonable options, I would recommend to transport your bikes at a different location.

There are many good brands/products available that can be safely secured your rig/trailer. If you want to mount bikes to the Oliver, I would favor the front of the trailer example provided by shallowgal in an earlier post vs the rear of the trailer.

Below are the some general pros and cons for other locations you may consider securing and transporting your bikes and / or other gear.

Top of your SUV/truck/camper shell

• Bugs come into play on the front facing parts but the good news is the drive train will remain much cleaner than rear of the vehicle

• Accessing your bikes on top of the car can be challenging

• The forces on the bike and the rack system are modest

• The bikes/gear is out of the way

• Need to be mindful of overhead clearances

• Allows for the option to transport boats and/or most other gear, even your solar panels

• Theft security is modest

Bed of Pickup with camper shell

• Reasonable access to your bike

• High function, low cost attachment systems available

• Minimum of forces on bike or system

• Can be a valuable space hog

• The space is not as clean as you may think.. it’s hard to seal the tail gate on many trucks. This can be a tough location to keep your bike’s drive train clear of grit if you spend any time on gravel

• Best theft security

Open pickup bed with rack system that bridge over the bed

• Functions much like roof racks

• Does not impact pickup bed storage space

• Easy access to your bikes and gear (standing in bed)

• Bike drive train will remain reasonably clean

• Bugs come into play like a roof rack

• The bikes and gear are out of the way

• Need to be mindful of overhead clearances

• Allows the option to transport boats and/or most other gear, even your solar panels

Rear of SUV / front of trailer

• Does not impact other valuable storage space

• Easy access to your bike and gear

• Might hinder accessing rear of you vehicle

• Terrible environment for your bike’s running gear

Front of car (front receiver hitch application)

• Most viable for larger trucks but are an option for some ½ tons and SUV’s

• Does not impact other storage space

• Easy access to your bike and/or other gear

• Able to carry other gear

• Can hinder accessing to engine / under hood

• Bugs are in play

• Bike running gear will remain reasonably clean but this is a tougher environment that the top of your rig

• Thanks 4
  • Like 1

2016 Legacy Elite II, Twin Beds, Hull #124

Tow Vehicle: 2019 Ford F250 4x4  / Short Bed / Crew Cab / 6.7 Diesel

Fieldbrook, Ca

Taylor, thanks so much for the interesting rack comments.

I use nothing but Yakima products, I have never had a complaint about how they are put together, though I have had some issues with their basic design and function, like the IMHO stupidly dangerous Boat Loader. I am still using a decades old round bar system, I just swap it from vehicle to vehicle as I change trucks.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• 3 months later...

Just another possibility.
Not a bicycle rack for the back receiver hitch of an Ollie, but one I configured for our Tundra bed. Just an alternative thought here. This set up works great and keeps our bicycles secure, out of sight, and most of all clean. It has kept the bikes secured in location with no issues. The Aluminum plate is mounted to a rubber horse stall mat. (Tractor supply). Hope this might help someone wanting to carry bikes in your pickup bed rather than the back of the Ollie. Our Tundra has an ARE Z series topper.

D8707797-9B44-4C45-9F7D-0FE05F74B27A.jpeg

FCB74182-ECD6-4E9E-B3B5-B8EAF80DA28E.jpeg

2A72410A-E4DC-448D-8AEB-F0963092CE27.jpeg

Edited by Patriot
  • Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2020 OLEII - Hull #634 aka-  “XPLOR” 

2021 F350 6.7 liter Diesel Lariat Ultimate Tremor 

IMG_2879.jpeg

• 3 months later...
On 6/30/2019 at 8:51 AM, mossemi said:

[postquote quote=178926][/postquote]

Since you already have the bike wing rack, you might think about this mount.  It’s the Lippert version aka “Jack-It”.  I don’t think you can buy the tower alone, but you could think of something along those lines.

Mike

20190522_153445.thumb.jpg.c6d27b76e997e75f012b43204a2874e7.jpg

Mike,

Did you mount the tower under the jack as they intended or did you mount it to the trailer frame directly and in front of the jack? Looking at the specs of the tower it doesn’t appear to have enough room for the Barker VIP jack. Although maybe you rotated the jack to face towards the rear of the trailer and then mounted the tower to have the vertical pieces to the front?
Also, how has the bike rack been since you installed?

Edited by djpinaz

2014 Oliver Elite II, Hull #62

• Moderators
10 hours ago, djpinaz said:

Mike,

Did you mount the tower under the jack as they intended or did you mount it to the trailer frame directly and in front of the jack? Looking at the specs of the tower it doesn’t appear to have enough room for the Barker VIP jack. Although maybe you rotated the jack to face towards the rear of the trailer and then mounted the tower to have the vertical pieces to the front?
Also, how has the bike rack been since you installed?

I mounted the tower in the stock Oliver tray so it it centered on the trailer instead of offset like the jack.  There is a 1/4" stainless steel plate below the trailer A-Frame that the 4 bolts pass through, clamping the PowerTower and storage tray together.

0035EACA-127C-4A5E-9B11-5896C2705998.thumb.jpeg.b81c9c8abb14a4fe7be1a1cbbd43cae2.jpeg

And to make a long story longer, this is the 3rd bike rack I have put on the Ollie.  The first 2 attempts used bike racks I already owned.  One was mounted on the back and interfered with opening the rear bumper and the second utilized Thule wheel trays mounted to the front cargo tray.  
I was searching for a used Jack-it rack during these experiments and finally found one at a price that allowed me to fearlessly modify it.  As you can see from the rust in the picture, the tower was mounted under a jack by the previous owner.  
I eliminated the Bike Wing Stinger and drilled a new hole 90° from original to mount the Y - Shaped Base.  I had to drill from both sides because I didn’t have a 90° drill attachment at that time.  Now the bikes sit directly above the PowerTower.

BCF2608B-BB33-48B9-8522-7E004F7B3ECB.thumb.jpeg.3d60ee820a66bfd702acd4df445f607f.jpeg

After nearly 4000 miles, I can say that it works well.  
If you have any questions or need more pictures, just let me know.

Mossemi

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

Mossemi...l do you worry about the 80 pound weight capacity? What do your two bikes weigh? Any signs of distress? I am sure it is much more stable with the angle mount gone, but would that allow some more weight bearing capacity?

Have you scratched up the doghouse yet?

Thanks,

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

I have seen Sir Mossemi's set up, it is a good one, and I have thought about a similar set-up.  I considered  building the lower section out of appropriate sized aluminum tubing, and mounting a 2 bike assembly, on a hinged "wing" that protrudes over the doghouse. I settled on putting my carbon road bike inside the camper top, mounted appropriately,  and the two MTB's on the "semi "Oliver rear bike  rack in the rear. 

I am trying very hard to refrain from making stuff "better". I'm on to baking sourdough bread on a grill - now that has benefits. 

Happy Trail all.

• Like 1

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderators
7 hours ago, John E Davies said:

Mossemi...l do you worry about the 80 pound weight capacity? What do your two bikes weigh? Any signs of distress? I am sure it is much more stable with the angle mount gone, but would that allow some more weight bearing capacity?

Have you scratched up the doghouse yet?

JD, 

My bike weighs in at 34 lbs. and Krunch’s is 33 lbs. so we are good weight wise.  And I have not seen any evidence of stress or fatigue.  I don’t think removing the stinger changes the capacity because the BikeWing has the same 80 lb. capacity as the Jack-It does and it doesn’t have the angled stinger.  I removed it for increased clearance over the propane tank cover.  And since my Ollie is named the "the dog house”, I can’t call the propane cover the doghouse.  Sure my dog house has some scratches, but not from the bikes or rack.

Russell,

Thanks for the kind words!  Do I have to stop by that little farm in Tennessee for some of that sourdough bread or are you going to be baking at the rally.  
And speaking of doghouse's, how is Harley doing?

Mossey

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

On 5/22/2020 at 7:57 PM, mossemi said:

Russell,

Thanks for the kind words!  Do I have to stop by that little farm in Tennessee for some of that sourdough bread or are you going to be baking at the rally.  
And speaking of doghouse's, how is Harley doing?

Mossey

I'm gonna experiment baking a loaf in my Dutch oven - using coals. The two I did on the grill came out great - so if the charcoal effort turns out - you may get a slice. For some reason, the loaf disappears rather quickly. Harley - he is gearing up for a new trip next week, headed west. 

Be good, 

RB

• Like 2

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• 4 weeks later...

So many options . . . . . my head is spinning.  Maybe we'll just "throw" them in the back of the pickup and be done with it! 

Of course, I'm kidding

Would those who carry the bikes in the pickup share your set up?  We prefer to not use a fork mount, in order to keep it simple.  Our Pickup is a long bed (F350 Super Duty crew cab).  How much other cargo do you carry there?  We don't have an Oliver yet, so not sure what will be riding in the bed.  For sure a Honda generator, inflatable kayaks and kayak gear. Many of the things our huge Leisure Travel Van basements carry.

Maybe the mount in front of the trailer is a better option.  Or just don't take the bikes  . . . . .  again, I'm kidding 😁

Ray and Susan Huff

Elite II Twin "Pearl" - Hull#699; delivered December 7, 2020

2013 F350 6.7l diesel Super Duty 4x4 long bed crew cab

1UP-USA Heavy-duty bike rack

2017 Leisure Travel Van Unity Twin Bed (sold)

AZARCAIDNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAsm.jpg