Remote temperature monitoring

geO

I was wondering if anyone has a way to remotely monitor the temp inside your Oliver? Just looking for a piece of mind when I leave my dog in the trailer and the temp is very hot outside. Never know if the electricity goes out even on a sunny day. If I could look at some app that would indicate everything is fine then I'll feel better.

• Thanks 1

I don't have one, but I've done a bit of research on them. I had zeroed in on this system from Ambient Weather, but then got sidetracked thinking about replacing the thermostat with a smart one that would also send temp data.

Either the Ambient Weather system or smart thermostat would require both a wifi network in the trailer and a cellular internet connection for remote monitoring (assuming that a campsite wifi connection would be down in a power outage). And of course you'd have to have cell service wherever you are.

• Moderator+

I've been searching about a year for a system that I could monitor multiple points in the trailer all reporting to a single display. I was in the process of designing my own when I stumbled onto this system a few weeks ago. I don't have an interest in remote monitoring so this outfit would serve all my needs. You can buy it configured for 3, 5 or 8 remote transmitters.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Thank you folks for your replies... I would need a device that uses cellular data that would alert me when I'm away from the trailer. I thought maybe somebody on the forum might have one they could recommend. Wifi will not do the job. Thus far my internet search has not impressed!

• Moderator+

There are lots of systems out there that will do what you describe. BUT, you will need a wi-fi hotspot (which requires a separate cellular phone line and will incur a monthly fee) inside your trailer and a good cell phone signal wherever you're parked. Then you can use any of these systems.

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve found this product and just beginning to research it. https://rvpetsafety.com

——————————-

This looked like the perfect solution for us....at first. After reading the subscription policy on this unit It appears that it may end up quite expensive. The monthly subscription that can be turned on/off can only be used a few times per year and you are charged everytime you turn off & on, so the annual service may be the only way to go. I also located a discouraging U-Tube video about it.  It sounded like the company has had a tendency to change pricing/charges and is hard to communicate with. They may have worked out all of the issues by now but the subscription details bother me so I think I will try looking elsewhere. Link to video: https://youtu.be/sW1MhTDn1S4

I just found the Marcell PRO system - https://www.marcellpro.com. I haven’t read the fine details or looked for reviews yet ....so time will tell.  Kathy

• Thanks 1

Clair & Kathy Reed - plus our travel companion: Emma

2017 Legacy Elite II - Hull# 245

2014 Ram 1500 3.0 V6 Eco-diesel 4x4

ALFLGAILINIAKYMIMONCOHPATNVAWVWIsm.jpg

Thank you Kathy, I will look into your link. Perfect example of needing a monitor is during my last camping trip my A/C went down. Luckily it happened after we got back from a bike ride. Indoor temp was 97 and having a piece of mind that all is well for my dog is worth the price I pay for a good monitoring system.

• Thanks 2

With our dog inside we always put our Maxx fan in the auto position in case of a power failure or A/C failure. The fan runs off the batteries and when in auto will come on at 78 degrees (factory preset) or whatever temperature you have it set at. In case of a power failure the fan will start at the preset temp and come on. We leave the bath fan vent open so it can suck some air in through it if needed.

• Thanks 2

ABNBNSPEALARCOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMSMOMTNENHNMNYNCOHOKPARISCSDTNTXUTVTVAWVWYmed.jpg

Tom & Cheryl 

LE II #305

2018 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax

Hello folks, I have 2 dogs so I also grappled with this concern.  I have been using the Tempstick (described in the list provided by ScubaRx and reviewed by Long, long Honeymoon on YouTube).

Tempstick does indeed need a wifi hotspot. It can be set to alert me as the temp reaches a setting of my choice AND I can monitor in 'real time' from my phone whenever I wish. The setup was very easy. The customer service was excellent when I had questions before and after purchase.

I try to be VERY careful to not leave the app 'open' on my phone as it will continuously send/receive and use significant amounts of data! (an oops that goes cha ching!)

Realistically, there will be areas where there is a weak or no signal.  In that event I plan to simply forego leaving my dogs unattended.

The initial cost for the Tempstick, the cost of the hotspot and the added $10/mo for said hotspot has been well worth it for me.

Hope this helps! Happy Trails!

• Thanks 2