Factory Easy Start

You guys are way smart. When I purchase my Oliver LEII soon, I must rely on the factory to install Easy Start correctly because I certainly don't know how. No problem - all it takes is money. Question - with the Easy Start, solar option, battery upgrade, inverter, and practically every other upgrade, will I be able to start and run the AC on battery power? If so, what are the concerns? I recently purchased a Honda EU2200i (still in the box) and will use it with Easy Start to run AC, but, there may be times it is more convenient to simply run on battery. Thoughts?

KWR

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull#444

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

Thanks Bill. I guess that explains why mine doesn’t seem to work as well as it should.

kwrjrpe, I believe that trumpetguy said that with the easy start he could run his AC off battery for short periods. Even if you can though, you won’t get much run time off of it.

• Moderator+

Consider AC operation off batteries to be primarily a pipe dream. It CAN (and has) been done but certainly not easily or cheaply. If you have a generator, that is your best bet.

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Thanks - that’s exactly where I was expecting it to be, but I guess that Oliver forgot to install it. I’ll give them a call tomorrow to get it straightened out. I hate to have to drive over there again but it is what it is.

Having the ability to run the AC off batteries isn't a total waste of effort though.  You might not be able to run it all day and night (unless you fill your closet with batteries), but being able to run it for 15-30 minutes can be really useful for cooling the trailer off at a lunch stop or before bedtime if the outside temp hasn't fallen enough yet to sleep comfortably.

• Thanks 1

Like previously said, it's possible, but has an additional cost.  We installed Easy Start and use a 2000W Honda gen-set to run the AC when away from shore-power.

Was Trumpetguy one of the first to use Easy Start on an Ollie?  Trumpetguy ran his Ollie's AC with batteries for hours at a time, found his thread very interesting:

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/ac-running-on-batteries/

LE2

• Moderator+
...Was Trumpetguy one of the first to use Easy Start on an Ollie? Trumpetguy ran his Ollie’s AC with batteries for hours at a time, found his thread very interesting:

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/ac-running-on-batteries/...

Yes, he was the pioneer.

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

I have read that on delivery you should bring a list of the options you purchased for your Ollie and make sure they were installed.  I can't believe you need to bring a ladder, take the cover off the A/C  and make sure the factory installed your Easy Start.  The other item friends paid for and found missing was the built in surge protector.  You need to take off a screwed down panel and know what you are looking for.  This is a bit disconcerting.

• Thanks 1

My delivery experience shouldn’t be seen as typical in any way, for a myriad of reasons. And I know they’ll make it right.

I haven’t heard back from Jason but I think I’ll just ask them to send me the unit to install myself. Not that it’s anything I want to do but it will be a good learning experience and I don’t really want to take the trailer over there.

You can see the Easy Start without removing the A/C top cover. You will need a ladder.

The Easy Start is that beige colored box behind the copper tubing.

111A28E6-B43D-4416-9DAA-B957C2BFB40D.thumb.jpeg.7d5a7e95e28b2acb55ae74b058d73ef3.jpeg

Closer view of the Easy Start through that rectangular opening:

75E99F93-6940-4D4B-80B3-BD096D719517.thumb.jpeg.abe5bad95fef7f792ca37718c804287d.jpeg

But yes, you need to put your eyes on everything, standard equipment as well as options.

• Thanks 3

Bill and Martha

2018 LEII Hull 313

2019 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax

Thanks! Picking ours up next month. I’ll look to make sure the easy-start is installed. I think the other options will be more obvious but we’ll check just the same.

2018 LE2 STD #365

2018 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax 4x4

Yes, the Easy Start will always help the AC start. This is exactly why I would think that the campgrounds and RV parks would want Dometic and other manufacturers to use the Easy Start as a standard. Require less current at startup and extend compressor life equals a win-win.

• Thanks 2

2017 Elite II, Hull #208

2019 Chevy HD 2500 Duramax