HyperVent or Aire-Flow Moisture Barrier

cjshanta

We are taking possession our Ollie Elite II in mid-August and are busy prepping for its arrival.  We have read that the build up of condensation could result in mold developing on the bottom on our new mattresses.  How significant of an issue is the mold?

It has been suggested that the use of HyperVent or Aire-Flow Moisture Barrier could help prevent the mold.   Our contact with Aire-Flow indicates that the product may scratch the fiberglass.  Has any one had any experience with these products?  If so, how are the scratches prevented?

• Moderator+

If your concern is being in an area with high humidity, we’ve owned a couple of Olivers for 10 years in Mississippi where it would be hard to beat our humidity. We’ve never had a problem with mold or mildew under our mattresses.

On the other hand, if the Oliver is subjected to really warm temps inside and frigid cold outside you will get some condensate on the interior of the windows and perhaps a little on the walls.

Another spot that is subject to condensation is the inside of the rear cabinet. It will run down the inside of the outer hull.

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

We have seen condensation on the interior of outer hull wall when heating Ollie on cool nights.  Will be experimenting with a 110V De-humidifier in this location when heating on cool nights. There's insulation in most of the rear cabinet area, but there's an open air gap between the inner and outer shell above the cabinet door not seen in the photo.

IMG_0794-L.jpg

IMG_0791-L.jpg

• Thanks 3

Bill #75 LE2

• Moderators
How significant of an issue is the mold?

We have never had an issue with mold. We’ve camped in cold weather (20s) and hot weather and have not had any significant moisture issues and no mold at all. Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Are you getting the latex mattress option?  If not I would not purchase either.  I got whatever was cheaper but only because I wanted air circulation under the latex mattress.

Regarding scratches, the edges are not sharp except where you cut the material.  I have duct tape around those edges for now but plan to melt them a little with a heat gun.  The duct tape doesn't show since it's along the outside edge.

• Thanks 1

2018 OLEII #344   |   2018 Ford Expedition

AZCACOGAKSMONMTNWYsm.jpg

Hello all,

I also purchased a ventilation product(Aire-Flow) before taking delivery of my TT.  I opted for the latex mattresses and decided the extra ventilation might be beneficial and relatively cheap insurance for the costly latex mattresses!

Aire-Flow ventilation material is not inexpensive. I ordered it online from Mattress Insider. (Very good customer service)  Based upon my experiences so far,  I have no regrets....despite having camped in conditions with wide swings in temp and humidity I have no mold under the latex mattresses .

The Aire-Flow material is a light weight mesh that somehow maintains it's thickness. It looks like scrunched up strands of plastic. The product arrives with a fabric backing. You will notice an extra 3-4 inches of fabric attached along the length of one side. When cutting to size(to follow the shape of the mattress) I noticed the 'cut' edge felt very sharp. I should add: I used the leftover/scrap edge of Aire-Flow  to create a vertical barrier between the exterior wall and the mattress. But once all pieces were loosely fitted in place I then had these sharp edges below and beside the mattress! I feared a bad scratch when I made the bed or puncturing/ruining my bottom sheets.

As I mentioned, the product arrives with an extra 3-4 inches of fabric attached to the length of one side. This flap of fabric can be folded over to cover one edge. But the remaining edges?  My solution was to take a scrap of the Aire Flow fabric backing material to a fabric store and purchase a similar fabric. (I believe the fabric is commonly used on the underside of upholstered furniture) It was the exact same color/appearance and less than $1/yd. I cut long strips of the fabric about 6" wide and folded them over the remaining exposed edge of the Aire Flow. I used a heavy duty needle and crudely attached the strips of fabric threading through the open spaces on the aire-flow. This solution has worked well for me.

I hope this information is helpful. I appreciate all the info I have obtained by reading this forum!

• Thanks 5

Condensate usually forms on the wall above the bunks; especially where the silver band is that hides the joint where the two shells come together.   Keep an eye on that area for moisture.  Easy to do when sleeping.  If moisture develops flip you mattress's up to let them air out.

Scotty

• Thanks 1

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

We experienced some dampness and mold under the pantry side mattress. This took place during a western trip this past winter. I understand that this is due to moisture transmission thru the latex mattress while sleeping. The basement area underneath on this side is not heated nearly as much as the basement area under the other bed thus causing condensation under this mattress. We have been using the Hypervent material for several months now. Yes there is some scuffing taking place from the Hypervent material but wouldn’t say the surface is being scratched. We’ll see how well this works in ventilating under the mattress this winter. I also added a small 12 volt fan in the basement under the kitchen side bed to move some of the heat from this side under the floor and to the other side. We’ll see if this also helps reduce condensation this winter.

• Thanks 1

2017 Elite II, Hull #208

2019 Chevy HD 2500 Duramax

Rumline, yes, we are getting the latex mattress.  I had not thought of using duct tape, nor sewing additional cloth to the edges as Trueaco has done.  (We are great users of duct tape and needle and thread.)  And, yes, as MontanaOliver has done, we purchased a cover to enclose the mattresses.

Maybe we are worrying for naught.  Perhaps with the mattress covers and a new dehumidifier, we should just relax and enjoy our new adventures.