Campground/boondocking recommendations in southern Michigan

We’re going into the south/central area of Michigan soon and would appreciate finding out about your favorite campgrounds and boondocking sites. We’ve traveled in this area by car before and noticed that there are very many parks. Some look nice online some not so much. Thanks!

2017 Elite II, Hull #208

2019 Chevy HD 2500 Duramax

Wish we could help you out with a few suggestions but all of our MI camping has been along the Lake MI shoreline or in the UP. From our experience MI campgrounds & boondock areas fill quickly during the summer months so try to plan ahead if you can. We’ve found a few nice, inexpensive county parks along the shoreline. Private campgrounds tend to be on the expensive side but most are well cared for.  There are some nice state parks worth consideration.

We use ‘The Ultimate US Public Campground Project’ app a lot. It shows several camp areas in southern central MI. It is one of our favorite apps...may be worth checking out. Here’s a link to a review of the app

http://www.apppicker.com/reviews/21618/the-ultimate-us-public-campgrounds-project-app-review

Clair & Kathy Reed - plus our travel companion: Emma

2017 Legacy Elite II - Hull# 245

2014 Ram 1500 3.0 V6 Eco-diesel 4x4

ALFLGAILINIAKYMIMONCOHPATNVAWVWIsm.jpg

Ken,

Ludington is my hometown! Hope you enjoy!

The Mason County Campground is  south of Ludington, walking distance from Lake MI. We have not stayed there yet but the reviews are quite good so it is on our list for our next visit. Fees $23 for electric only and $27 for full hookup.

http://www.masoncounty.net/departments/parks-recreation/campground.html

The Ludington State Park is quite popular also and has good ratings. I was a regular at the park when growing up but never actually camped there.

https://stateparks.com/ludington.html

Will check with family to see if they know of any great boondock areas.

Kathy

Clair & Kathy Reed - plus our travel companion: Emma

2017 Legacy Elite II - Hull# 245

2014 Ram 1500 3.0 V6 Eco-diesel 4x4

ALFLGAILINIAKYMIMONCOHPATNVAWVWIsm.jpg

I will pick up my retirement Oliver LEII in April 2019, so trying to learn as much as possible to be ready for my last adventure. When you guys stop overnight at a Walmart or other quick night stop on your travels to somewhere, do you unhook from your Tow Vehicle or simply stay connected for a quick start the next morning? Do you put down your jacks and level the trailer? If so, can you put down the jacks and level the trailer without unhooking? I plan to get the Andersen weight distribution hitch and have read from the forum that hooking back up can be a bit aggravating at times. So, hope to hear no need to unhook when making a quick overnight stop?

KWR

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull#444

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

• Moderators

We’ve never stopped at a Walmart, but we have stopped at many Cracker Barrel’s and Rest Stops. These locations were all level enough that we didn’t unhook. The main reason you might need to unhook is if you had to lower the tongue. I have put down the jacks, but I have fairly tall blocks so the jacks don’t extend too far. The rest stops we’ve stayed at had RV parking and 24 hour security.

We’ve overnighted at parks and BLM spots and we have had to unhook to get level at some of them. We haven’t tried truck stops yet (Pilot, Flying J or Love’s).

Once you get the hang of the Andersen Hitch it goes on/off pretty quickly. Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

thank you for your advice. I am still learning the camping jargon - what is a "BLM spot"?

KWR

2019 Oliver Legacy Elite II, Hull#444

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab, 4WD, Denali, Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 Engine with Allison 6-speed transmission

• Moderators
thank you for your advice. I am still learning the camping jargon – what is a “BLM spot”?

BLM - Bureau of Land Management. A lot of land in the western US is public and BLM managed. For instance, at Quartzsite, AZ where there is a fiberglass rally every winter (January) there are miles and miles of BLM land where you can camp for free. No utilities or designated sites, just lots of land.

If you use the Ultimate US Public Campground App it will show BLM, FS (Forest Service) and utility areas where you can camp, state and national parks as well as county and municipal campgrounds. It’s the app I use for planning. If I can’t find anything near where we’re going then I go to Allstays which shows commercial RV parks. Mike

• Thanks 1

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

We never unhook if overnighting at a Walmart. Or cracker Barrell, rest stop, or flying j, etc. Nor do we put down jacks or put out chairs, etc. Spots are level enough to sleep, if you pick your spot...noise is another consideration, but, hey, just off the interstate, you're tired, and it's free...

It's not camping nor boondocking. It's a place to sleep for awhile, and move on to your destination. Our typical arrival is late night, and departure early morning.

BLM means Bureau of Land Management. Low price or free usually primitive camping, though some have a dump station and/ or water source. That's camping. And boondocking...imo

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

If we do overnight at a commercial spot like Walmart, flying j, etc, we spend some money to earn our free spot that saved us a place in a commercial campground where we would have used none of their services. Average expense at Walmart is $20 to $30 in groceries or other supplies. Flying j...20 to 30 gallon of gas x going rate, plus morning coffee...

Sherry

• Thanks 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.