SUCTION CUP 101 ?

mountainborn

• Moderators

Though we have been using a few suction cups, we mostly found them by accident. For some reason we did a search using the "dogpile" search engine. The search string was for "suction cup hook". We found so many that we were amazed. One manufacturer makes one that will hold twenty five pounds of weight !

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

Thanks for the website. 25 pounds!!! My suitcase for a two week vacation could be suspended from that suction cup! Amazing!

Still checking out the big box stores for locally available products... Had some fun organizing the kitchen and bath area with a few today. Pix in the next few days... I'm really happy with the kitchen results so far.

Note.. Target is the one with the positive action, clamp down hooks we talked about earlier. In clear or white (cheaper, 2 for $1.99 in clear, which actually looks nicer against the shiny white of the Oliver (IMHO) than the gray/white 2 for $2.99 hooks....) Walmart has double hooks by Duck that seem to hold a lot... we'll see how they hold up on bumpy roads!

Sher

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

As we stopped in Grants Nm for the evening, we found our jim dandy idea of a paper towel holder in the in the floor for the first time. We may be back to the drawing board on that one !

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

• Moderators

My friend and I did a litlle shopping for suction cup organizers and hooks, and set up the kitchen area. They're holding great while the trailer's in the driveway... Just in case, I'll probably take a lot of things out of the pockets for the first time on the road... We'll see how they hold on while moving!!!

Photo_030508_007.jpg

Photo_030508_005.jpg

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

:o That kitchen area looks great!!!!!!!!!! Where did you get the sink cover???? Did I understand right that the suction cup stuff came Target?? Mountainborn, FYI Camping World carries a slideout paper towel holder that will have to be riveted or bolted in the cupboards but can be removed and taken to the table or outside. Bought one but not installed yet. Had it in Csita and never lost the towels!

• Moderators

Yes, everything came from Tar_jay as we called it in Minnesota as kids.... except the dishpan/sink cover... thats a Wally world 12-quart Sterilite dishpan, available there in 4 colors, just the right size to fit in the Oliver sink and not scratch the bottom with knives, pans & stuff (especially when I'm scouring pans... ) The sink is almost designed for it. I just cut a little off the back handle to let the knobs on the sink turn freely.

thankx for the comments... My friend and I had a lot of fun with all the suction cup stuff, mostly from the bathroom section.(Lois took the pix on her phone... a Trio...) Like I said, we'll see if it holds onto the walls while we're driving. Lois & I put three protective coats of paste wax on the kitchen sink and surround, ditto on the bathroom sink, vanity, and walls, one coat on the rest of the interior (I know, I'm ridiculous... but the water is really hard here, and many other places, and the gelcoat is so shiny now!).... The suction cups still held, except for the K world ones in the bathroom..... Smaller, don't grip as well.

Chuck, I'd like to know more about the slide-out paper towelholder. (Except rivets and bolts scare me :D ... maybe I can figure velcro, command 3m, or suction cups for now as fasterners....) I was thinking i might have to fasten the towel holder over the dinette cause I've kind of taken up most of the kitchen space..... ha ha8-)

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Hi Sherry!!

Think there is a Camping World very close to you that carries the paper towel holder. It has a five rounded point design on both ends and looks like a regular paper towel holder. EXCEPT it's 2 pieces, The base mounts to whatever and the papertowelholder pulls out and you can take outside or wherever. My Casita friends had one and gave me the one that was sold with my Casita. Lucked out at the CW in Dothan,GA and they had one for Ollie.

I will probably be at Pleasant Lake RV Resort in Bradenton Thurs, Fri and Sat and leaving Sun to meet up with my girlfriend in Dade City Sun, Mon and Tues if ya'll meet up somewhere. Will bring papertowelholder mounted or not!

Regards, Chuck 8-)

• Moderators

Hi, Chuck,

We're heading for NC mid-week, but home to be home by the weekend. We'll try to catch up with you either in Bradenton or Dade City. Neither one is too far off of our route home.

I was just on the Sunshine Skyway twice today driving a friend back to Bradenton. I assume you'll be taking 75 all the way to Bradenton and not getting off on 275, but if you do, check TBI.com for reports on the Skyway bridge. I sat in traffic for over an hour trying to get across the bridge today southbound (compared to a normal 15 minutes). We had very high winds, (gusts to 55mph). High-profile vehicles were turned around, and police only allowed ten cars at a time across the bridge southbound, according to the toll booth attendant. It was quite a snarl merging all the lanes at the toll booth to one. Coming back, the warnings were lifted, winds were down to 40mph or less... but I got behind a big motorhome with a toad who could barely maintain 40 mph on the bridge... I felt bad for him. I wasn't towing, so no problem for me.

Please send a post or PM on your choice of campground in Dade City... we look forward to meeting you! :D

sherry n paul

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

SeaDawg! I am totally amazed at the creative way you put together the suction cup wall behind the sink! I want to do something like that in my Casita! You have inspired me, just have to go out of Franklin County to find a Target, Walmart, or even a McDonalds! So maybe when I meet Chuck down in Dade City.... I will find one. I know there is a Walmart in Dade City... not sure about Target. That may have to wait for a Tallahassee trip. I hope I get to meet ya'll in Dade City too. We will be there, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday nights at the Pasco County Withlachoochee River Park. This could go on the campground site as a neat place for only $5 a night with water and electric hookups! It is also used for Native American Pow Wow's several times a year as it is in the middle of the Creek reservation. The river is quite beautiful with ancient oak trees dripping in spanish moss lining both sides of the river. Also bald cypress is abundant there. Hope to see ya'll and a Tar-jay soon!

Geri :D

• Moderators

Hi, Geri,

I spent the day packing up the Oliver for our first outing... not counting the trip home, which became really rushed.... Getting excited.

Thanx for your kind comments... The real artist in our group is obviously you... Love your photo website. You have an amazing eye and talent. Looking forward to meeting you, too!

Hopefully, we'll be able to stop in Pasco county on our way home. I sent Chuck 2 pm/emails, but outlook doesn't always work on my network... Please give him our greetings. Don't think it will be too hard to find each other.... We'll just look for the other trailer that looks just like ours :D

I grew up in a small town... That's how Tar-jay got its "elegant "name, I think. We drove 45 miles to get to a town big enough to have a big box store, McDonald/s, etc... Just think, now many of us drive further to find a town that DOESNT have a big box store, McD's, etc.... How our priorities change .... :)

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 4 months later...
  • Moderators

Yes, I've found even more uses for those wonderful suction cup hooks. I hang one on the outside of the trailer between the vents & windows, and hang a lightweight broom and our chair covers. Two more on the other side, next to the outdoor shower, provide a place for towels & miscellaneious while using the outdoor shower. I'll try to post a pick later. Further up this thread are some older pix of the inside of the Oliver, showing some of the suction cup holders I added to the kitchen area.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

Suction cups are OK, but I always wonder about their longevity, especially with bumps. Does Oliver have any recommendations about alternatives to suction cups? How about adhesives? I also wouldn't want to drill into my fiberglass, but if that is the safest option....

• Moderators

The holders from Target on my kitchen walls have traveled about 12,000 miles, loaded, without issues. The smaller, inexpensive hooks have to be remounted more often. These are the ones I use primarily on the outside of the trailer. We also use velcro to mount flashlights, radios, pictures in lightweight frames, remote controls, etc.... again, without problems.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

I concur.. we've 'stolen' a lot of Sherry's creative use of suction cup goodness in our new Oliver to much delight. The bins from Target definitely work wonders and I haven't had a problem yet with them (we've pulled about 2000 miles in the past few days without fail .. with lots of different altitudes and bumps). I'm curious to see how they do when we start off-roading ..

I'm craving a suction cup paper towel holder. I've seen a patent for one filed, but can't find one anywhere. I may have to get creative on that one.

- Cherie

(Posting from the Flaming Gorge in Wyoming)

• Moderators

Cherie,

If you figure out the suction cup towel holder, please let us know! I've tried velcro-ing a standard holder to the base of the cabinet over the foot of the bed, but it keeps falling down!!!

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4