Oh, the humidity of it!

Foy_Mirna

To say its Hot in Florida this summer is an understatement. Add to that the humidity and you don't want to be outside.  But just how hot is it?  I wanted an outside remote thermometer for our Oliver just so I would know what I was walking into.  Found an inexpensive one at Amazon with good reviews from - ThermoPro TP60 $18.00. http://a.co/dVuRtBu  Took only a few minutes to setup and it came with batteries.

IMG_1133.thumb.jpg.b267640386f85573a3ec2c72e6c6f9ee.jpg

I used heavy duty Velcro on both the backs of the remote and the display.  Placed the remote unit under the solar panels on the wiring hub and the display unit next to the AC thermostat.

IMG_1134.thumb.jpg.8bf1bb9a160d24406164632d6a05840c.jpg

Now I know. Oh look, its only 88 degree outside with 84% humidity... at 8am.

Heading to the pool,

• Thanks 4

Onward,
Foy and Mirna 

Roamy Mc Roadhouse
2017 Legacy Elite II, Twin Bed
Hull #227
2021 RAM 1500 Limited

Thanks – that looks like a nice unit. You might pick up some heat from your solar panels in that location.

Agreed, that is probably the toastiest place on your trailer on a sunny windless day. Plus it is vulnerable to water when travelling at speed on the highway, and from a pressure washer.

I have been keeping mine in the doghouse clipped to the gas bottle that is on standby. It still gets abnormally hot when in sunlight. Bill “topgun2” uses two sensors in his “Twist”, one in the front and one under the spare tire cover, and he uses the “cold” one as the most accurate temperature.

I don’t know of a better way to get a true reading and still have them be protected from the water..... I need to order a unit with a half dozen sensor inputs. Then I could average them all. LOL.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

We have a single outside sensor, too. I keep it unattached and just move it around as the sun moves around. Usually twice a day. If someone comes up with a good mounting spot please share! I’ve thought about mounting it in with the propane tanks, maybe against the outside trailer wall. I don’t know.... Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderator+

Just today I installed this one in the OOII.  It has 8 sensors and I put them all over the place.

1-Outside under the propane cover (I've had another one there for years and it has worked out fine)

2-Inside the fridge

3-On the water heater tank and covered with styrofoam insulation.  I intend for this to tell me how hot the water is so I don't run the water heater excessively.

4-In the Bathroom, up high on the wall just right of the door.

5-Inside the Upper rear Cabinet.

6-In the rear basement by the incoming water plumbing.

7-In the front basement under the dinette by the black valve.

8-TBD, I may put it by the water pump or I may install it inside the cabin.  There's already two other thermometers inside, one in a digital clock and one inside the remote for the Maxxfan so I really don't know what I'll do with the last one.

All these wireless sensors provide temp, humidity, and heat index to a common monitor. I stuck them all up with command strips.  This unit is also available with three and five sensors if you're not as big a believer in overkill as I am!

• Thanks 2

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

I got the Accurite wireless thermometer and humidity sensor. I put the remote unit on a metal cross bar under the propane cover.

IMG_2544.thumb.jpg.def45ddbe7d706d0bfe6619fa4d80481.jpg

I used exterior double stick tape to attach the remote unit to the metal bar. I was unnecessarily worried that the double stick tape would not hold, so I used cable ties to attach it to the vertical threaded post that hold the propane regulator. Belt and suspenders, I guess.

Foy started this thread talking about how hot and humid it is in Florida. We are on the Oregon coast, camping at a great park, Jesse Honeyman State Park near Florence OR. While it is humid here, it is certainly not hot. Very nice.

IMG_2543.thumb.jpg.1ca129a0c5dfbfd8031a727ccd1cd63b.jpg

David Stillman, Salt Lake City, Utah

2016 Oliver Elite II  Hull 164    |    2017 Audi Q7 tow vehicle. 

Travel and Photography Blog: http://davidstravels.net

I had inherited the Accurites when we bought the trailer, they worked well, he had the outside one mounted as David shows. Recently I picked up some of the Sensor Push Bluetooth ones, they are great and move around frequently as I decide I'm interested in comparison between locations. And it's nice to be able to see a history of what's happened, rather than just when I looked at the display, especially one in fridge and one in freezer to see how much cycling it does.

Thankfully, the humidity had finally broken here, it felt like south Florida for awhile.

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

I have one of the Ambient Weather multi-sensor thermometers and I mount my outdoor one to the far back of the rear step bracket using 3M Command picture hanging strips that are velcro-like.  Then whenever I move the trailer I pull off the sensor and attach it to another spare strip that I've mounted by the entrance door.  I've forgotten to move it back inside before and drove home three hours through the rain.  When we stopped I realized my mistake but the sensor still works great.

Anyway in its deployed location it's out of the sun for the vast majority of the day.  Been pretty happy with it.

2018 OLEII #344   |   2018 Ford Expedition

AZCACOGAKSMONMTNWYsm.jpg

• 4 months later...

I've also bought the WS-3000 system with eight remote sensors. We've set it up around the house and it works very well.  I hadn't realized that the console wasn't designed for wall mounting -- it has a base for standing on a flat surface. More importantly, the console is powered by a 110V adapter -- not by battery.  The adapter outputs 5VDC and someone on this forum (I think) suggested that it could be replaced by an USB to Barrel Jack cable, thereby allowing the use of the Oliver's USB outlet instead.

I'd like to do this but the cable I ordered has a Barrel Jack that's much too large and I can't seem to find a source for a suitable cable.

• Moderator+
I’ve also bought the WS-3000 system with eight remote sensors. We’ve set it up around the house and it works very well. I hadn’t realized that the console wasn’t designed for wall mounting — it has a base for standing on a flat surface. More importantly, the console is powered by a 110V adapter — not by battery. The adapter outputs 5VDC and someone on this forum (I think) suggested that it could be replaced by an USB to Barrel Jack cable, thereby allowing the use of the Oliver’s USB outlet instead.

I’d like to do this but the cable I ordered has a Barrel Jack that’s much too large and I can’t seem to find a source for a suitable cable.

Twas I that posted about the USB/Barrel Jack cable.

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• 11 months later...
On 7/28/2018 at 2:16 PM, ScubaRx said:

Just today I installed this one in the OOII.  It has 8 sensors and I put them all over the place.

Thanks for sharing this. 

Do you have any additional input after a year and a half with the unit?  Looking at some of the reviews online, I'm seeing generally good, but more than a fair number of early failures.  What has been your experience?

• 4 weeks later...

We strap our temperature sensor so that it hangs a bit from a small slatted table we deploy under the awning. That way it is both shaded and nominally ventilated (probably not to NWS specs but hey it’s an attempt). Seems to work well, but I have been known to forget about it while packing up the table. We just move the sensor inside to one of the kitchen drawers between trips. Readout display is mounted by door with command strips. 

Garry and Kristi

Apex, NC

2018 Oliver Elite II Hull 372

TV 2015 Ram 1500 3.0 L EcoDiesel

image.jpeg.aed3a6aa6cd2b2679a4845e1ea98a981.jpeg