MaxxAir Fan - Outside Cover

Last week I discovered that our MaxxAir Fan outside cover had a crack in the top center.  According to the documentation that came with the fan the outside cover is covered by a life time warranty.  I called the provided telephone number and was transferred once, the person I spoke with only wanted the serial number, which I provided.  The replacement cover was delivered in three days, what a quality customer service.

Has anyone had any issue with getting of the roof of their Elite II for any type of maintenance?

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Limited

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull # 93

Being so narrow, I have yet to find any need to actually be on the roof, it's all easily reachable from a leaned ladder. While the honeycomb fiberglass has some strength it is not endless and be very careful near any curved surfaces.

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

I think it is much easier to do extended work on top if you climb up. Reaching 3 feet inward is awkward and hard on the knees. You are at greater risk of falling. You need two ladders for accessing the far side of the AC, for example, or you must keep moving the one ladder from side to side. I suggest you board from the awning side, NOT from over the spare tire as shown in the picture. It is much much safer! That tech is foolhardy.

Pad the awning cover with a soft material like a thick towel and, if you have removed the silly white rain seal, tie your ladder tightly to the awning to prevent the ladder from shifting and leaving you stranded on the roof. Otherwise use a very secure ladder or have a helper hold the bottom.

Disconnect the nearest solar knobs, if you have solar, and prop the panel up at a steep angle away from you using pieces of drilled 1x1” aluminum angle. This gives terrific room for you to climb up and scoot around.

A blue egg-crate sleeping pad like in the pic works great for under your legs. A clean carpet remnant would work, just be sure it canmot scratch the gelcoat. You can stay between the awning and the center hump and it is a secure place to be for an older gentleman.

I spent half a day up there detailing the roof with RejeX and 304, and securing the loose solar wiring. I had no worries about slipping off, but it did kill my knees. Be safe.

The roof is an order of magnitude stronger than your typical stickbuilt rig, it does not flex noticeably and you won’t hurt it if you are careful, stay off the center part and are of normal size.

Clean it while you are up there, it will look amazing.

458D986B-4072-4754-ABC8-78B30516555D.thumb.jpeg.0cc6f46419fa065c83a0fb42ce008d88.jpeg

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

The ladder by the spare tire was just for watching him. He came up on the driver side. That Tech knows what he is doing, he has done more than a few of these. He works for EasyStart and did around 25 installs at this years rally. :-)

20180506_124337.thumb.jpg.28e8b6d75bd93d956ea95a09b7e71b96.jpg

• Thanks 1

ABNBNSPEALARCOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMSMOMTNENHNMNYNCOHOKPARISCSDTNTXUTVTVAWVWYmed.jpg

Tom & Cheryl 

LE II #305

2018 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax

John, I hope you are not referring to me as an older gentleman; anyone regardless of age could slip and fall if not careful.  Also I keep our trailer washed and polished it still looks like the day I picked up the trailer, without going on the roof!

Currently the only reason for going on the roof is to replace the defective MaxxAir cover.

• Thanks 2

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

Can anyone tell us what the mfg and model of the telescoping ladder he was using?  It looks like it would be a lightweight space saver that could fit in our Ollie LE 2 closet.

Thanks

Geronimo John

Ollie-Telescoping-Ladder.thumb.jpg.8b9eb28cafd073986744e4f751e57fc6.jpg

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

Can anyone tell us what the mfg and model of the telescoping ladder he was using? It looks like it would be a lightweight space saver that could fit in our Ollie LE 2 closet.

Thanks

Geronimo John

I dont know but here is another picture that shows the base in case someone might have a idea. I tried enlarging the picture but cant see a brand on it.

20180506_124252.thumb.jpg.e116d57f2c981b4001c0908d72a37abd.jpg

ABNBNSPEALARCOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMSMOMTNENHNMNYNCOHOKPARISCSDTNTXUTVTVAWVWYmed.jpg

Tom & Cheryl 

LE II #305

The two "real" brands are, Telesteps and Xtend and Climb, mostly all others are cheap knockoffs with questionable safety. There is a YouTube video comparing different models and safety.

• Thanks 1

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

Today I replaced the MaxxAir outside fan cover, it is not a hard job but it did take 3 hours to replace and test.  MaxxAir was great sending a replacement cover which has a life time warranty, it only took three days to get the cover.

Has anyone else had to replace a MaxxAir outside fan cover?

• Thanks 1

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

• 2 weeks later...
This is how i have been getting on the roof, works with knee pads and safety lines. The ladder would be a poor choice for on the road ops.

The ladder I use to access the roof of the Oliver is always secured with a safety rope; plus a safety rope from the carport overhead and someone holding the ladder just is case of any issues.  You can not be to safe when working on the roof.

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

Today I replaced the MaxxAir outside fan cover, it is not a hard job but it did take 3 hours to replace and test. MaxxAir was great sending a replacement cover which has a life time warranty, it only took three days to get the cover.

Has anyone else had to replace a MaxxAir outside fan cover?

Horace & Dianne,

When we removed the complete fan assembly the cover was still in good condition after 3 years. Removed MaxxAir fan assembly while resealing roof mounting screws and roof flange.  Disassembled the fan assembly for cleaning while it was removed, too.

Like you said, it's not a hard job, even removing the complete assembly. In the following photos you can see the inner shell construction, Ollie is built well.

IMG_0761-M.jpg

IMG_0768-M.jpg

IMG_0765-M.jpg

Use laminated foam seat cushions under my knees to protect the roof, too. I'm careful on the roof @ 215 pounds.

IMG_0767-M.jpg

Bill #75 LE2

I don't know but here is another picture that shows the base in case someone might have a idea. I tried enlarging the picture but cant see a brand on it.

Tom, Have a habit of taking photos of stuff like that, from the job I retired from!!!!  :)

i-7jjmVST-X2.jpg

• Thanks 1

Bill #75 LE2

I don’t know but here is another picture that shows the base in case someone might have a idea. I tried enlarging the picture but cant see a brand on it.

Tom, Have a habit of taking photos of stuff like that, from the job I retired from!!!! ?

I just bought one. ?20180806_160642.thumb.jpg.73481c41b618b1853032f63aaa5ea832.jpg

20180806_160057.thumb.jpg.02dcb646306027dcf061de538e26b9d2.jpg

• Thanks 1

Tom & Cheryl 

LE II #305

I don’t know but here is another picture that shows the base in case someone might have a idea. I tried enlarging the picture but cant see a brand on it.

Tom, Have a habit of taking photos of stuff like that, from the job I retired from!!!! ?

I just bought one. ?

Will order one next week!!!  :)

Bill #75 LE2

I am on a very weak internet link, so my apologies if this response gets garbled.

I purchased the Telesteps 1600E OSHA Compliant 16 ft Reach Telescoping Extension Ladder via Amazon.com Services, Inc. for $172.31.

It is a 12 foot ladder, advertised as a 16 foot reach.

I have used it extensively during the past month on a construction site.  I am about 240 pounds and have made at least 300 trips up it.  It is well made and fits EASILY in my Oliver Elite II closet at the front door.  I would buy this ladder again and recommend it for use on our OTT's.

Geronimo John

• Thanks 3

TV:  2019 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat, 3.5L EcoBoost, Max Tow, FX-4, Rear Locker      OLLIE:  2018 OE2 Hull 342, Twin Bed.    OLLIE DYI’s:  BB LiFePO4's, Victron 712 Smart, 350 Amp Master Switch, Houghton 3400, Victron Orion DC - DC, 3000-Watt Renogy Inverter, P.D. 60-amp Converter, Frig Dual Exhaust Fans, Kitchen Drawer Straps.    TV DYI’s:  2 5/16" Anderson System, Timken Bearings, Nitto recon’s, Firestone Rear Air Bags, Bilstein 5100’s, Mud Flaps & Weather Tech all.

image.jpeg.9633acdfb75740f0fd358e1a5118f105.jpeg

20180506_124252.jpg

Matteo told us he uses a swimming noodle as the blue cushion seen in your photo. His ladder is not fully extended in the photo, but top rung is extended with the cushions installed, like how it works.

Just ordered a 1600E!  :)

Appreciate the information from everyone in this thread. :)

Bill #75 LE2