PU tailgate clearance on trailer

Trainman

So will all pickup tailgates open all the way with the trailer hitched on the Elite II. I'm talking about the Ford, Chevy, Ram, Tundra full size trucks.

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

I have a 2016 Toyota Tundra and there is no problem with opening the tailgate when the truck is attached to the Oliver Elite II.

Horace & Dianne

Chesapeake, Virginia

2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 Limited

2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull # 93

I have a 2016 Toyota Tundra and there is no problem with opening the tailgate when the truck is attached to the Oliver Elite II.

Same here with our 2016 Tundra and Elite II.

Onward through the Fog!

EarthPicks of Cochise County

AZCACOKSMONVNMORTNTXUTmed.jpg

My 06 Ram 3500 had acres of clearance. My 200 hit hard and I had to install an extended ball mount (+3 inches).

Most trucks have the receiver located well below the height of the bed.

John Davies

Spokane WA

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators

Nana, does the tailgate clear? Without the deployed step, curious

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

2016 F-150 does not clear.  I expect it depends on how you have to adjust the ball hitch.  (Anderson WDH)   We had to put it pretty far up to get things riding level.

I was wondering if installing airbags on the rear suspension would let us low the ball and then level the ride with air.  Anyone have any knowledge on that?

Thanks,

Scotty

Gregg & Donna Scott and Missy the Westie  -    The Flying Sea Turtle - Hull # 145     Western NC

CTDEGAMDMANHNJNYNCPASCTNVAxlg.jpg

Scotty,

Installed Firestone airbags on our 2003 2.4L four cylinder 2WD Tacoma for towing a smaller trailer, not Ollie.  Connected Ollie to the Tacoma with 30PSI of air in the bags and did not have rear end sag using a 1/2" lift ball mount without WDH.

Only move Ollie around the house with the Tacoma,  don't take this rig on the road.

IMG_2180-L.jpg

LE2

I was wondering if installing airbags on the rear suspension would let us low the ball and then level the ride with air. Anyone have any knowledge on that?

An exended “rack” for your Anderson would be much more cost effective. Would an extra 3 inches get it to clear? It did on my 200. It also gives you more maneuvering clearance when backing.

https://andersenhitches.com/Products/33734-custom-4-wdez-hd-rack-with-3-extra-shank-length--2-shank.aspx

It says there that made to order custom racks are available, this is no longer true, as per a phone call with them. If you need more than 3 inches a good welding shop could modify yours for less than $100. Don’t let your handyman brother in law mess with it, it needs to be very high quality work.

Airbags would work but you must inflate them, then rig the correct tension on the chains. If you use the old thread count with the bumper sittiing higher than before, the weight distribution geometry and tension will be off. It is wrong to rig your system, then lift it up afterwards. That slackens the chains.

A big plus for the airbags is for levelling when your bed is fully loaded, for when you need a ton of bark for the yard. It does NOT increase your payload at all. You must keep a minimum of 5 psi in the bags to prevent damage to the material, so expect a slightly stiffer ride and a taller bumper height when not towing.

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/chassis-suspension/1607-air-suspension-basics-for-towing/

I use airbags on my 200, in addition to the Anderson, and really like them. In addition to leveling they firm up the ride enough in back to make the entire rig feel a little more stable and planted on choppy roads. I only use 12 psi towing (max is 30). I use a bike pump to adjust pressure, it takes a couple of minutes to add air, and much less to remove air. An onboard compressor would be very handy, but a $15 pump and $7 20-psi stick air gauge work fine.

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Thanks 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

My ‘17 Tundra tailgate would hit the Bulldog latch. The truck would sag under load but the trailer was level using the Anderson in it’s highest position. I installed the Firestone air bags to level the truck and was able to lower the hitch one hole so that the trailer is still level. The tailgat now clears by a couple inches. I didn’t have to make much if any change to the Anderson adjustment due to the fact that the relative position between the hitch and trailer remains the same. The air bags require about 15 pounds for a level truck/trailer. I fabricated a manifold so that I can add air to either side or both air bags and have a built in gauge to check the pressure. I also mounted an old Coleman air compressor next to the manifold for adding air, and  plug the compressor in the trailer connector as needed. 94B7A89B-E188-4C1E-A86F-132D52C70666.thumb.jpeg.01a7812358ac89385c128dce868d9a37.jpeg

• Thanks 3

2017 Elite II, Hull #208

2019 Chevy HD 2500 Duramax

• 2 weeks later...