Toyota Tacoma and Elite II ??? Anyone tow with this combination?

doc foster

A recent Trailer Life article paired a Tacoma and the Elite II, stating that the Tacoma is more than up to the task.  I question this, as the rated towing capacity of the Tacoma is 6,400 pounds.  Now given the 4600 pound dry weight of the Elite II, add in 300-400 pounds for water and propane, that brings us up to about 5000 pounds.  Add in some options, and most likely a generator in a tray on the tongue, plus all gear, clothing, food, etc. I am sure one could quickly get to 6ooo pounds or more.  I am definitely thinking about the Elite II in the future, and I had a Tacoma in the past and loved it for towing a 19' SOB trailer, but I don't think that truck and trailer would make such a good match.  I would most likely have to move up to the Tundra if I stayed with a Toyota.

Is there anyone towing an Elite II with a Tacoma?  I see that some tow the Elite I with a Tacoma, but the Elite is about 1200 pounds less than the Elite II.

Who has weighed their Elite II fully loaded?

• Moderators

My initial TV was a 2012 Tacoma TRD Sport. It had a TRD supercharger. My Oliver weighed 5100lbs when I picked it up. I towed for about 6,000 miles with my Tacoma and it did fine. Uphills in the Ozarks were not a problem. I ended up trading it for a Ram 1500 for several reasons. The gas tank size made it necessary to stop for gas every 150 to 200 miles. The bed was not as big as a full size pickup and it was a trick fitting in the stuff we wanted to carry. Plus, it had well over 100K miles and I had the new truck itch. Mike

1DF7402F-ED93-48FC-83D0-D7607A220D6B.thumb.jpeg.517db89f85a380cc0d99f6242f42f77c.jpeg

EA2B8A70-8C67-4C4D-8258-29518AE2056F.thumb.jpeg.eeab6490beb9e5fefd11f5e3cc394e63.jpeg

• Thanks 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Here's the weigh ticket from my mostly-fully-loaded Ollie.  I thought I had a full fresh water tank but it turned out to only be 2/3 full.  Grey and black tanks were empty.

Screenshot_20180803-102128_OneDrive.thumb.jpg.039f8fd0ba6e2d0351cdea29beba709e.jpg

That's with the whole family and dogs loaded in the car too, so I calculated tongue weight to be 620 lbs.  (I have previously weighed the car empty)  Since the fresh water tank is right over or a little aft of the axles I'd expect tongue weight to not increase with a full load of fresh water.

As far as options we have that would effect weight, we have the 4x AGM batteries, 30 lb propane tanks, solar, two awnings, instant water heater (no 48 lbs of dead weight), and maybe the mattress upgrade adds some weight.

• Thanks 2

2018 OLEII #344   |   2018 Ford Expedition

AZCACOGAKSMONMTNWYsm.jpg

So I'm trying to figure the CAT scale readings. If the Rumline's trailer axle weight is 5560 lbs, and if his tongue weight is indeed 620 lbs, would you add these two together to get the total weight of the trailer??

To answer the OP's question, I personally like the Taco but do not think it would be a good TV for the Elite 2. Most E2 owners seem to be weighing in 5000 to 6000 lbs. This is pretty close to the Taco's max 6800 lb. max. tow rating (this figure is reduced with options like crew cab, 4WD, bed length, and other options). More importantly, it's max payload is too low, 1120 to 1620 lbs. If your tongue weight is 500 -600 lbs, you have a 200 lb canopy, 300 lbs passengers: that's over 1000 lbs just for that. Plus only a 21 gallon gas tank. You will also absolutely need a WDH with any midsized truck. I have an Elite1 and am going through all this. I would dearly love to have a mid sized pickup as it would also be may daily driver, but I just would not feel comfortable using one in the Inter Mountain West where I mostly travel. If the new Chevy/GMC 1500 with the new 3.0 Duramax Diesel has an exhaust brake like the 2.8 does, I would be very tempted to go that way. If no exhaust brake, then I think the F-150, HD payload pkg./max tow 3.5 Ecoboost will be the truck I get. It also has a 35 gallon gas tank and comes with LT tires. Good luck on your truck quest.

Dave

2015 Oliver Elite, Hull 107

1998 Ford E-250, 5.4 liter

I agree, I believe the Tacoma is not up to the task of hauling an Elite II.  Sure it could pull it, but not necessarily safely, especially when towing in the mountains.  I would most likely go with the Tundra or traditional 1/2 ton truck.  Thanks for the input.

So I’m trying to figure the CAT scale readings. If the Rumline’s trailer axle weight is 5560 lbs, and if his tongue weight is indeed 620 lbs, would you add these two together to get the total weight of the trailer??

That's right.  To calculate total and/or tongue weight you need to weigh your tow vehicle with and without the trailer.  To make it easy on yourself have the same load of people / cargo in the TV both times.  Then add steer and drive axles together on each weigh ticket.  Next subtract the sans-trailer axle weight sum from the with-trailer axle weight sum, and the result is the trailer's tongue weight.  Add that to the trailer axle weight and you have total trailer weight.

So my tongue weight is exactly 10% of the total loaded weight.  Awesome design!

• Thanks 1

2018 OLEII #344   |   2018 Ford Expedition

AZCACOGAKSMONMTNWYsm.jpg

Since the fresh water tank is right over or a little aft of the axles I’d expect tongue weight to not increase with a full load of fresh water.

View from the rear looking to the front. Rear of tank even with rear wheel goes forward to the door. Weight will increase slightly, little more tongue weight is good.

0prbsaxa38q5nbyb89053113n5sppg4f.jpg.6499fcce35c04e89bcb587a40b8a0e31.jpg

• Thanks 1

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

Since the fresh water tank is right over or a little aft of the axles I’d expect tongue weight to not increase with a full load of fresh water.

View from the rear looking to the front. Rear of tank even with rear wheel goes forward to the door. Weight will increase slightly, little more tongue weight is good.

0prbsaxa38q5nbyb89053113n5sppg4f1.jpg.2fd6e43508fb60e30f8fc0c57f0dcb24.jpg

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

• 3 weeks later...

I have tinkered around with using our 2017 Ridgeline to pull an Elite II, but with only a towing capacity of 5000 lbs. it is pretty much not feasible to do it safely, or within it's tow range. The Tacoma is within the Elite II range, but for me the truck is just too small to do it safely, even if it's in its tow range. If we decide to order a Oliver we will most likely change to a pickup that can handle around 10,000 lbs., I like overkill.

trainman

2019 RAM 1500, 5.7 Hemi, 4X4, Crew Cab, 5'7" bed, Towing Package, 3.92 Gears.

We own a Tacoma and a Tundra. Love them both. I would not consider pulling our Elite II with the Tacoma. The Tundra is perfect.

We traded in our 4Runner (we are devoted Toyota customers)--which has the same chassis as the Tacoma--for the Tundra when we knew we were getting the Ollie. At first, we thought that we wanted the Sequoia, but then realized that for much less money we could get what we needed--something to haul the Ollie, us two humans, our Pyrenees mix, and cargo--with a Tundra and camper shell. We told our local Toyota dealer that we wanted a used Tundra 5.7 4x4 in

any color, as long as it was white.

IMG_59381.thumb.jpg.11a1dc730a256459126feebe3c76895b.jpg

We are extremely happy with what we got. In our opinion, the Tundra is the perfect tow vehicle for the Ollie.

We weighed our Oliver II mostly "fully loaded" at  about 5600 lbs, right within Dave Phelps' 5000-to-6000 lbs range.

IMG_5938.thumb.jpg.cb05b7f16ab4ef705cc4b627568cadd7.jpg

• Thanks 1

Onward through the Fog!

EarthPicks of Cochise County

AZCACOKSMONVNMORTNTXUTmed.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • Moderator+
On 8/3/2018 at 7:52 AM, DavePhelps said:

...If the new Chevy/GMC 1500 with the new 3.0 Duramax Diesel has an exhaust brake like the 2.8 does, I would be very tempted to go that way...

Dave

Dave maybe this will help with your decision:

3.0L Diesel Engine

The diesel exhaust brake function on the 3.0L diesel engine is part of the Tow/Haul Mode Grade Braking system. Tow/Haul Mode Grade Braking is only enabled while the Tow/Haul Mode is selected.

On vehicles equipped with Driver Mode Control, Tow/Haul Mode can be activated/deactivated by turning the Driver Mode knob to the left. When selected, the Tow/Haul Mode symbol will illuminate in the instrument cluster.

If the vehicle is turned off with Tow/Haul Mode active for less than four hours, Tow/Haul will remain active after the vehicle has been turned on again. Otherwise, the vehicle will start in Normal Mode.

For vehicles without Driver Mode Control, press the Tow/Haul button on the center of the instrument panel.

TIP: The Automatic Engine Stop/Start system is unavailable when the Tow/Haul Mode is active.
BONUS: Turning tow/haul on also disables the auto stop/start.

• Thanks 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

Without going too far away from this thread's topic, we strongly looked at the GM 1500 Diesels. They come with 22 gallon tanks.  They also have a smaller filler neck than the 2500/3500 so the truck stop Diesel doesn't fit.  So we were then looking at a 6'6" bed 1500 for an aux tank and came to the conclusion that we might as well just get the 2500/3500 then.  If transferflow/titan come out with a replacement tank, they would be more appealing.

Between Olivers…

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

There are a bunch of Ollies out there, following behind Tundras, of various years. Most seem very happy. 

https://olivertraveltrailers.com/forums/search/?q=Tundra elite Ii&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

4 hours ago, MikeandRachel said:

Realize this is not quite on-topic, but I have a gently used ‘02 Tundra v8 (2WD double cab). My wife and I are considering a deposit on the LE I or II (more likely). Does anyone have experience, positive or negative, towing an Elite with a last gen Tundra?

Your truck is fine for the LE1, but will be sorely lacking in power and reserve capacities for the heavier LE2. Your 4.7 engine and transmission are nowhere as capable as the later 5.7 with 6 speed tranny. Maybe it would be OK for dragging an LE2 around Florida, but in no way will it be safe or enjoyable out west. If you really want the larger trailer, plan on trading in on a larger truck….

What is your tow rating - 7200 pounds?

John Davies

Spokane WA

• Like 1

SOLD 07/23 "Mouse":  2017 Legacy Elite II Two Beds, Hull Number 218, See my HOW TO threads: https://olivertraveltrailers.com/topic/john-e-davies-how-to-threads-and-tech-articles-links/

Tow Vehicle: 2013 Land Cruiser 200, 32” LT tires, airbags, Safari snorkel, Maggiolina Grand Tour 360 Carbon RTT.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, MikeandRachel said:

Realize this is not quite on-topic, but I have a gently used ‘02 Tundra v8 (2WD double cab). My wife and I are considering a deposit on the LE I or II (more likely). Does anyone have experience, positive or negative, towing an Elite with a last gen Tundra?

Coy (@hardrock) towed his Elite I with an older Tundra for probably 5 years or so before he got his F150.  He seemed satisfied with it.  Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

One of our friends has had 3 Tundras, over 2 decades . The reliability has been amazing. 

They don't update often, but, my friend says, why mess with success .

• Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Thanks everyone for the feedback & links to other ‘towing’ discussion threads. I really don’t want to replace my 1st gen Tundra. I love the reliability and tidy size combined with the v8 … but it probably will struggle with the LE II.

I had a nice chat with the Oliver sales team yesterday, and they put me in touch with a family in the Dayton, OH, area. We’ll be looking at one soon. We’re also considering Escape, and will be viewing one in Indy in the next few weeks.