Door window shutter

SeaDawg

• Moderators

@Raspy,

John, is this the replacement window/shutter you mentioned in another thread?

http://www.zarcor.com/rv_products/rv-door-window-kit/

It looks like a wonderful idea. We've used a shirt over the head bump cushion for a lot of years. This is much more... elegant!

Sherry

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Sherry,

No, I got an AP Products slim Shade from Amazon.   This is a slightly smoked clear glass with pull up (or down) accordion style shade.  It makes a big difference being able to see out the window. Then you can close the shade for privacy at night.  With the shade open during the day, it's not really possible to look in from the outside because of the smoked color.

It comes with the entire frame and screws.  Takes about 10 minutes to install with a helper.  Very nice upgrade.

I installed ours so the shade pulls up.  This gives better visibility from inside when partially open.

https://www.amazon.com/AP-Products-015-201512-Upgrading-Window/dp/B01MRRNQNP/ref=sr_1_25?srs=12574135011&ie=UTF8&qid=1533749049&sr=8-25

• Thanks 1

John

"I only exaggerate enough to compensate for being taken with a grain of salt."

LE2 #92 (sold),   Black Series HQ19   

• Moderators

John, can your shade be opened or closed with the door shut? Or, do you have to open the door to get behind the screen? The one Sherry linked to has a handle that allows opening and closing with the door shut. Both look good, I think I’ll do some research and order one. Mike

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

Mike,

You have to open the door to get the screen door out of the way in order to move the shade.  It has friction and stays wherever you put it, that's why it works right side up or upside down.

I leave ours open about a third of the way (open at the top) during the night and open all the way during the day.  This makes it easy to see out, and who is at the door, but not really possible to see in.

• Thanks 3

John

• Moderators

How does the black frame look on your Ollie?  I am pretty sure that is the same glass and shade that Lippert Industries offered.  When I talked to them a couple of months back they indicated that they were re-working the shade, so I have been holding off on replacing ours.

• Thanks 1

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

The one Sherry linked to has a handle that allows opening and closing with the door shut.

That feature seems to be a significant advantage of the Zarcor product. We would like to improve our door-window situation in two ways: 1) be able to block unwanted light and 2) be able to check on what is outside, particularly when someone comes a-knocking.

Onward through the Fog!

EarthPicks of Cochise County

AZCACOKSMONVNMORTNTXUTmed.jpg

• Moderators

I just ordered the ZARCOR with tinted glass, white shades and a white handle. It will ship tomorrow morning. The white handle is not on their website or on Amazon, you have to call and ask for it. The frames are not replaced, just re-use what you have. I’ll post my installation experience! Mike

• Thanks 5

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

I just ordered the ZARCOR with tinted glass, white shades and a white handle.

Great! That is exactly the combination that we are considering. Thanks for the extra information about ordering. Looking forward to reading about your installation experience and level of satisfaction with the end result.

• Thanks 1

Onward through the Fog!

I like the look of the black frame against the smoked glass, but the original white outside frame could be used instead of the black one that comes with it.  The only disadvantage of the vertical blind setup is that it's either open or closed.  At night we leave ours partly open at the top and can see who is outside, if needed, with most of the window blocked.  During the day nobody can see in even with the blind all the way open, because of the smoked glass.  The folded shape of the blind blocks all light when closed because it's all one piece instead of overlapping slats.

Either one is a big improvement over the original.

• Thanks 1

John

• Moderators

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

That is identical to mine.  It must be the same one, just re-branded.  I think I paid $93.

John

• Moderators
I just ordered the ZARCOR with tinted glass, white shades and a white handle. It will ship tomorrow morning. The white handle is not on their website or on Amazon, you have to call and ask for it. The frames are not replaced, just re-use what you have. I’ll post my installation experience! Mike

I ordered this yesterday afternoon and at noon today the FEDEX guy delivered it! Shipped from Dallas. Pretty quick. I won’t have my trailer in the driveway until Monday. Mike

I installed ours so the shade pulls up. This gives better visibility from inside when partially open.

https://www.amazon.com/AP-Products-015-201512-Upgrading-Window/dp/B01MRRNQNP/ref=sr_1_25?srs=12574135011&ie=UTF8&qid=1533749049&sr=8-25

John, thanks for posting this, I ordered one as soon as I looked at it from your post, it does exactly what I wanted one to do. I wanted the up down, rather than side to side, leaving it open about 4" at the top is perfect.

The old window, black glass white frame, doesn't look that much different, just a slightly larger black area now. You would not be able to reuse the old white exterior frame, the depth dimension of the glass is a ½" different, so the interior piece would not be able to sit flush on the door. Looks great as is though.

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

Mike, John, Randy, Sherry and anyone else that has installed one. Pictures please. ?

Out of town for a few days.   If nobody posts a picture before I get back, I'll post a couple then.

John

Love the light darkening blind, and the clear “who’s at the door” window. Question? Why two awning handles? Do you leave them attached while the awning is out.

It came with two awnings, so it came with two handles, so Oliver installed two holders. I've/we've only used both once, when the wind kicked up. I have, at times when I don't plan to have it out long, left it hanging, but not so as to not both at once (I can only work one at a time anyway)

Randy

One Life Live It Enjoyably

2017 F350 6.7L SRW CC LB

2015 Oliver Elite II Hull #69

• Moderators

Thank you for the before and after pics.  And you are right about the black frame and dark window blending togethet.  It looks great!

Mike and Krunch   Lutz, FL  
2017 LEII #193 “the dog house”

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

We installed our shade last week. It took a couple of hours, we worked slowly. We are happy with the results.

The box from ZARCOR was delivered less than 24 hours after we ordered. It was well packed with clear instructions.

9C824E3F-013F-4876-973F-58E5A74F8143.thumb.jpeg.cd12add4668a019417342e192b9b6dc7.jpeg

Everything was well protected with foam.

99C39645-82DA-47D5-BCF1-34AEAAB09374.thumb.jpeg.781e973a8bc76a47b91255226bea1ee0.jpeg

Two boxes with new gasket material.

8B0DBDFE-E442-4BD2-BF31-2CB5D5322CF9.thumb.jpeg.81310f20a46ef35ff26d891e9aa7cf4e.jpeg

We ordered the tinted window, they also have clear.

4C7CD79B-2092-4C1A-8E0D-7F0979270CC6.thumb.jpeg.f366e546800fb2793be934b58f5398b0.jpeg

This shows the shade and white handle. A black handle is all that is on their web site. If you call you can ask for a white one.

58C4C90F-A3D4-4791-BC41-5FB8A63C2844.thumb.jpeg.43ddf8d71bac61501fd38b68f4cd8513.jpeg

The included instructions were very clear and easy to read.

AECD828D-4860-485B-9C22-ADE88649B5B7.thumb.jpeg.b64658bfa3ae7be509776d4a7ca36c5f.jpeg

As instructed, we taped the outside frame with duct tape. Once the screws are out of the inside frame the only thing holding the window and outside frame on the door is the gasket material. I think masking tape would work just as well. There was no residue left when we took off the duct tape. I should have extended the tape onto the window and then taken both the outside frame and window out at the same time.

2045F29D-FACE-4492-A216-47DB3D769FBA.thumb.jpeg.90698af6047ab932ac0326f41683269c.jpeg

I removed the 12 screws that are on the inside frame. Both frames and all screws are reused.

E85D880B-16A4-4B80-9501-1400D56F529A.thumb.jpeg.a1cb45e695a683349dde7fc4f5fd128b.jpeg

Inside framed removed.

928DEDE9-AB45-4296-9E70-9A275CB18F50.thumb.jpeg.367b58c8aee89cf7ada34f3727f63566.jpeg

At this point only the old gasket material holds the window in. I’m taking it out and some of the gasket comes with it. As I mentioned earlier, it would have been better to have tape on the window too and then remove both the outside frame and the window at the same time.

08D6D421-C347-4E83-9986-42B3B3F749E4.thumb.jpeg.74edd0f5e8d033b848c3af985c864eb7.jpeg

The outside frame was stuck on the door with the old gasket material. I used a plastic squeegee to lift a corner, then it came off pretty quickly.

2A19EB91-4BEF-4B85-BF1B-797C3AF56944.thumb.jpeg.25e384c204b1120c59e078d7fcb7e1c0.jpeg

Here we are putting the new gasket material in. It’s easier with multiple hands. It makes for a better installation if you can get the material into the grooves as evenly as possible. There are two gaskets to apply, one just inside the window opening for the window and one on the outside of the frame that seals the frame to the door.

9FF470AB-2A8A-467C-977A-9B30A84A51C4.thumb.jpeg.8e3f760803b2ce920ab1796e48242664.jpeg

I’m setting the new glass onto the outside frame. The gloves are just to minimize finger prints. The one disappointment with the kit is that the new window is slightly smaller than the original. Maybe 1/8”. On the outside frame there are plastic pegs all around the window opening that should hold the glass securely. I tried to position the glass so that it was centered on the opening and then pressed it into the gasket material.

1D308422-529F-4762-9430-2B6513CCABBB.thumb.jpeg.4a95d914792f2758037645f8fe36ee9a.jpeg

This is where the actual installation pictures stop. We took the outside frame with the glass and put it into the window opening on the door. We thought we had done a great job until the weight of the window caused it to slide down so that it was setting on the bottom pegs leaving a very small gap at the top. We gently pulled the frame back off but some of the gasket material stuck to the door and some stuck to the frame. It was a small crisis. We got it off and back into a horizontal position. Carol reworked the gasket material that was pulled off and I fabricated a couple of very small shims to sit on the bottom two pegs to lift the window 1/16” or so. Once that was all done we put the frame and window back into the door. The shade attaches directly to the window with some heavy duty Velcro buttons. It is positioned over the window then pressed tight. The inside frame is reinstalled and that’s it.

5C60012E-341A-4969-9DEC-ED38CAF56617.thumb.jpeg.67878234c2758b878fc37f79004771f3.jpeg

Inside with the shades open. They can be opened or closed with the door and the screen door shut.

7CA50C9B-4BF0-4DB6-9FDB-F97F8CBE1C6F.thumb.jpeg.d26b3927acb69824cbb1f111c3ad1d48.jpeg

Shades closed.

3AFF971E-ABCA-41CE-97A2-1A6B73240B37.thumb.jpeg.02fd0f8c68f243d58975e595149a902d.jpeg

I think we will enjoy being able to look out the door window with the shades open. When the shades are closed you can’t see in at all. The old frosted glass was a little frustrating at times because in order to look outside you had to open the door. Mike

• Thanks 6

Thanks, Mike and Carol, for the clear description and photos of installing the ZARCOR with tinted glass, white shades and a white handle. That is exactly the set-up that we are considering. I notice a small opening at the top of the shades. Do the shades not completely cover the window, and one needs to settle with having a little light coming through the top, bottom, or both top and bottom of the window?

Onward through the Fog!

• Moderators
Thanks, Mike and Carol, for the clear description and photos of installing the ZARCOR with tinted glass, white shades and a white handle. That is exactly the set-up that we are considering. I notice a small opening at the top of the shades. Do the shades not completely cover the window, and one needs to settle with having a little light coming through the top, bottom, or both top and bottom of the window?

Hey Jeff, there is a little gap at the top. I think I could have mounted it a bit higher, it’s as far down as it can go. Once the sticky part of the Velcro hits the window there’s no repositioning. I started at the bottom and should have played with it a little bit before going for broke. There is no gap at the bottom. The small gap at the top shouldn’t be an issue. Mike

• Thanks 1

Hey Jeff, there is a little gap at the top. I think I could have mounted it a bit higher, it’s as far down as it can go. Once the sticky part of the Velcro hits the window there’s no repositioning. I started at the bottom and should have played with it a little bit before going for broke. There is no gap at the bottom. The small gap at the top shouldn’t be an issue. Mike

Mike, Was it the $129 total or was shipping extra?

Thanks

Reed

Happy Camping,

null

Reed & Karen Lukens with Riffles our Miniature Poodle

2017 Oliver Legacy Elite II  Standard, Hull #200 / 2017 Silverado High Country 1500 Short Bed 4x4

Past TV - 2012 Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic BlueTEC Diesel

Click on our avatar pic above to find the videos on our Oliver Legacy Elite II