Shakedown Tow - EII and GMC 2500 crew cab/4wd/Duramax - with Cat Scale numbers

BackofBeyond

I finally got time to hitch up my EII to my new truck, and headed out to the local Cat Scale for a weigh in. It was about a 100 mile round trip, which quite nicely included 10 miles of I-24 through one of the worst thunderstorms I've had the pleasure of entertaining in some time. Winds were sideways to my direction, and rain hard enough that vision was extremely difficult above 20-30 mph. I must admit there was no discernable sway/shake, and the truck/trailer combo handled better than I had imagined. I have the Anderson hitch attached, although I initially purchased it due to my former truck's lower tow capacities. Not sure it makes much difference in the current set up, but the ride was very good overall at all speeds. Performance was also pleasing, with 65 mph very un-interesting, relaxing really, and getting up to Interstate speed took little effort. The Duramax is really impressive mated to the Allison transmission - Tow haul mode works very cool when off the throttle and coasting to slow.

For those so inclined, the certified Cat Scale numbers are as follows:

Steer  axle: 4660lbs

Drive  axle: 3960lbs

Trailer axle: 5200lbs

Gross weight: 13820lbs

The truck with full tank, no people, scales at approx. 7800 lbs. Trailer had a full fresh water tank, and I'm 190 or so.

Not sure what tongue weight is, but the bed barely moves when dropping the Ollie onto the ball.

The  2018 GMC 2500 4wd, crew cab max numbers are as follows - GCWR-25300, trailer - 13500, payload - 2226.  For towing with this set up, the Ollie is not an issue - full or otherwise.

Hope some find this helpful, or at least interesting.

• Thanks 5

Cindy,  Russell and  "Harley dog" . Home is our little farm near Winchester TN

2018 Oliver Legacy Elite II - 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax 

"Die young - As late as possible"
ALAZARCACOFLIDMTNVNMOKORTNTXUTWAWYd56201

• Moderator+
...The 2018 GMC 2500 4wd, crew cab max numbers are as follows – GCWR-25300, trailer – 13500, payload – 2226. For towing with this set up, the Ollie is not an issue – full or otherwise.

Great write-up. We have the same setup except our truck is a 2017 Silverado.

I assume that your truck is a diesel crew cab with a standard bed. Unless the 2018’s are different and not that it matters much, but if you look closely at the trailer towing section in our manual you’ll see an superscript number 1 by the max trailer weight of this model.  We are actually “limited” to 13000 pounds of conventional tow capacity. The larger figure refers to the fifth wheel capacity.

Of interest, the 3500 has the same limitation for the same model in SRW, although it is much higher (17200 pounds) for a fifth wheel tow. This is due to an additional spring pack on the one ton models - the ONLY mechanical difference between the two trucks.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

those so inclined, the certified Cat Scale numbers are as follows:

Steer axle: 4660lbs

Drive axle: 3960lbs

Trailer axle: 5200lbs

Gross weight: 13820lbs

The truck with full tank, no people, scales at approx. 7800 lbs. Trailer had a full fresh water tank, and I’m 190 or so.

Not sure what tongue weight is, but the bed barely moves when dropping the Ollie onto the ball.

The 2018 GMC 2500 4wd, crew cab max numbers are as follows – GCWR-25300, trailer – 13500, payload – 2226. For towing with this set up, the Ollie is not an issue – full or otherwise.

That's real close to our numbers.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

ABNBNSPEALARCOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMSMOMTNENHNMNYNCOHOKPARISCSDTNTXUTVTVAWVWYmed.jpg

Tom & Cheryl 

LE II #305

2018 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax

• 3 weeks later...

That is a driver decision, I have the anderson since my first tow vehicle was a F150 and with out it it would have been towing out of spec's. When I went to the Chevy 2500 Diesel I towed once with it and once i received my zero/ 1 inch drop hitch I now carry it as an extra or if I ever get into really windy conditions such as New Foundland etc. I might put it back on. For the last two years I never felt that I needed to and that is in some pretty windy states. That's my 2 cents I have no sway or passing issues so happy so far the Oliver tracks so well with the bigger truck easy to forget she is back there. Thanks Gary

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Gary & Jona

2016 Silverado 2500 Diesel

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

ALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpgABBCMBNBNLNTNSPEQCSKYTsm.jpg.ba4d4f701cd53ebbd7ccf276c46a23eb.jpg

• Moderators
I have a 2018 Ford F-250 diesel. Do you think it’s worth getting the Anderson? Is it any safer?

is it a pain to use?

I would think that it is not necessary with an F-250. I have one and use it on my Ram 1500. It is not a pain to use and I like the extra margin of safety. Mike

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

• Moderators

In your situation with that size TV I would think that the major benefit of using the Andersen would be that it helps to dampen "bouncing" or "porpoiseing" normally caused by bridges on Interstates.  That and the fact that in using the Andersen there is an additional attachment point between the TV and the camper which makes me feel a tad safer.

Bill

• Thanks 2
  • Like 2

2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5EB FX4 Max Towing, Max Payload, 2016 Oliver Elite II - Hull #117 "Twist"

I have a 2018 Ford F-250 diesel. Do you think it’s worth getting the Anderson? Is it any safer? is it a pain to use?

When we purchased our EII, I thought I could tow it with my then 2004 GMC 1/2 ton. It was wishful thinking, good on flats, not so in the hills, and for sure not in mountains. Anyways, I got the Anderson, now with the 2500, I use it, it spreads the load, its not much effort to use, but I would not purchase if I knew my TV was going to be the 3/4 ton truck. I think I could find a better use for $700.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Bought a new 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax SLT 4x4 today. ~$10K under MSRP. We were just too close to GVWR on the Tundra. Torque and exhaust brakes are definate bonuses too. Hope to hitch her up next weekend for a test run with the Ollie.?

• Thanks 3
  • Like 2

2018 LE2 STD #365

2018 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax 4x4

• Moderators
Bought a new 2018 GMC 2500 Duramax SLT 4×4 today. ~$10K under MSRP. We were just too close to GVWR on the Tundra. Torque and exhaust brakes are definate bonuses too. Hope to hitch her up next weekend for a test run with the Ollie.?

You won’t even notice a trailer behind you until you look in the rear view mirror! Nice truck... Mike

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Texas Hill Country | 2016 Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 6.7L

ALAZARCACOFLGAIDILKSKYLAMDMSMOMTNENVNMNYNCNDOHOKSCSDTNTXUTVAWVWYsm.jpgALAZARCACOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMS

We're taking delivery in the spring (2019) of the very last 2018 Elite II being produced so we've not yet actually towed ours yet however:  I spoke to the Anderson hitch representative at the rally this summer and he looked at my truck {2006, Dodge 3500 Mega Cab diesel (4x4) }and he advised that it would be a waste of my money to purchase the equalizer hitch.  He said we simply did not need it.

I am curious as to opinions as to whether there is any advantage to having it even if not actually a necessity.

As an aside, I will be putting airbags on the rear springs but only to level the truck out when I load my ATV in the back of the truck.

Hobo

• Like 1

2018 Elite II, Hull #414 (the very last 2018 produced).  Trailer name "2 HOBOS" .   2018 F250 4X4 Crew Cab, 6.7L diesel

• Moderator+

The rep was correct, don't waste your money.

• Like 1

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi, we just picked up our 2018 GMC Duramax 4wd crew cab.  Now we need to get a hitch and ball.  Since we don’t have our Oliver yet, it’s hard to know what we’ll need to bring to Tennessee in January.  Can you share what you have since we have the same tv and Oliver?  I’m thinking about going with the 2 5/16 ball- your thoughts?

• Like 1

Kevin and Kathi

TV: 2018 GMC 2500 HD Sierra Duramax 4 x 4 

“Do Your Own Ride”

ALAZCACOILINKYLAMSNVNMTNTXUTmed.jpg

The Oliver requires a 2" ball unless you change the coupler which there is no need to do.

This is the one we use on our 2500 HD

https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Curt/C45312.html

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Ball/Curt/A-90.html

[attachment file=20181011_182013.jpg]

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

ABNBNSPEALARCOCTDEFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMSMOMTNENHNMNYNCOHOKPARISCSDTNTXUTVTVAWVWYmed.jpg

Tom & Cheryl 

LE II #305

2018 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax

My 2500 has a 2-1/2” receiver.  If you did not go with the Anderson hitch you will need a 2-1/2” stinger or a 2” stinger and the 2” adapter (should have come with the truck).

I have and use the Anderson because previous TV was 1/2 ton Tundra.

I also have one of these for other trailers

www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Curt/C45900.html

I have not towed the OE2 with this yet.

If you went with the Anderson you just need to bring the 2” adapter for the stinger to receiver.  I would also get a receiver lock for the receiver to stinger.

If the attach points for the safety cables are the same as mine You may also need two clevis

www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-3-4-in-x-3-in-farm-clevis?cm_vc=-10005

to hook your safety cables to the hitch (I think mine are 5/8” not 3/4” as in the link, 3/4” won’t fit through the holes on the receiver.

You may also need a link to adapt the safety brake to the receiver.

I can take some pictures this weekend of what I’m using if you need them.

- Randy

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

2018 LE2 STD #365

. Can you share what you have since we have the same tv and Oliver?

Well, having the same set-up - here is my experience.

The GMC comes with a 2 1/2" receiver, but also includes the 2" reducer. You only need a 2" ball on either  sized ball mount. The Oliver safety cables have overly large hooks that do not fit into the  holes on the GMC tow hitch. You will need a clevis or some other intermediate attachment - as Randy has indicated. I used a weight rated carabiner type - from Tractor Supply.

I have the Anderson, have towed with it several times, have towed without it - also. The Ollie tracks very well, is well balanced, and tows like it isn't there. With the 3/4 ton GMC, the Anderson is not needed. Save your $$. If you feel you want one, I'll sell you mine at a reduced price. Oliver will install it - takes about 1/2 hour - simple. If you go with a standard ball mount, your height to top of ball needs to be approximately 24.5 " for a nice level position on the Ollie.

The Anderson has vertical adjustments, the Oliver tech will set it up as part of delivery -if you go that way.

I am very pleased with the GMC towing performance, and how well the Ollie tows behind it. You will find yourself doing 80 mph and thinking its about 55 mph.

Get yourself the front and rear Weathertech mats, some nice HD front and rear mud flaps, and your set. I also put a Leer cap on mine, looks great, provides ample additional storage, and is very handy. Pic attached- no it isn't, seems the forum is still having issues.

Have a great experience.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1

Thanks, great information!  I already have the mud flaps, the floor mats and have decided on the ARE cap.  Also, at some point we’ll get the Rock Tamers - ALCAN highway is on our list!

I had read the with the 3/4 ton I didn’t need the Anderson, but thank for the offer.

Just another few months and we’ll be on the road...

Kevin and Kathi

• Like 1

Kevin and Kathi

TV: 2018 GMC 2500 HD Sierra Duramax 4 x 4 

“Do Your Own Ride”

ALAZCACOILINKYLAMSNVNMTNTXUTmed.jpg

Yes they are a great tow vehicle you will love it. On the chains go to tractor supply or some place like that and get two hooks that will fit the trailer hitch on your truck and replace those on the trailer because they will not. You just pull the carter pin put the new ones on and hook up. One idea on the safety brakes is look on the under side if the truck hitch and if like mine there is a hole there get a eye bolt a couple lock washers and couple nuts to tighten up and have a nice place right in the middle under the hitch and chains to hook up the brake switch. I have taken the trip to Alaska several times and the rock tamers are nice and help they are not the complete answer. I would recommend covering the front of the trailer from running lights to the center front. I will attach a pic for and idea. I'm not going there only for reference lots of theory on this subject. Thanks Gary[attachment file=IMG_0423.JPG]

[attachment file=IMG_0422.JPG]

[attachment file=IMG_0423.JPG]

• Thanks 2
  • Like 1

Gary & Jona

2016 Silverado 2500 Diesel

Legacy Elite II Hull 81 

ALAKAZARCACOCTFLGAIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMDMAMNMSMOMTNENVNHNMNYNCNDOHOKORPASCSDTNTXUTVTVAWAWVWIWYmed.jpgABBCMBNBNLNTNSPEQCSKYTsm.jpg.ba4d4f701cd53ebbd7ccf276c46a23eb.jpg

Does anyone have the 2500 with “Wheel arch modings”?

<p style="text-align: center;">[attachment file=311C3BF3-55BB-4607-BF63-6A3081AB7051.jpeg]

</p>

[attachment file=7A45D242-ABF2-49B6-9795-94AD1D8EACF3.jpeg]

[attachment file=788AED05-A780-4D34-9826-1CE7732D6747.jpeg]

If so what mud flaps did you use?

Thanks,

Randy

2018 LE2 STD #365