Cover to protect the Oliver

astrocaster

Hi, Folks,

FlyBaby E and I will initially be keeping our Oliver travel trailer under some very messy trees, and we will need to get a cover to protect it. I've noticed a couple of companies that sell covers designed for to fit the Casita that probably would fit the Oliver, too: Covergiant.com and calmarkcovers.com. The latter sells a cover that has an integrated zipper door that appears to be placed just where the Oliver door is. I wonder if any Oliver owners have purchased covers from either of these companies and can share your experience and how satisfied you are with the cover. If you have purchased a cover from another company, we would be interested in that, as well.

Thanks,

Steve

• Moderator+

We have a back yard surrounded by a tall brick fence. There are two twelve foot drive thru gates. We plan to keep our Oliver in the back behind the fence. I have looked around locally and we plan to have a company come out and erect a steel canopy similar to the one in the picture. It is about as cheap as building it myself and a whole lot faster and easier. Has anyone had any experience with these buildings and if so, any thoughts about them?

Steve, Tali and our dog Rocky plus our beloved Storm, Maggie, Lucy and Reacher (all waiting at the Rainbow Bridge)

2008 Legacy Elite I - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #026 | 2014 Legacy Elite II - Outlaw Oliver, Hull #050 | 2022 Silverado High Country 3500HD SRW Diesel 4x4 

801469912_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-I.jpg.26814499292ab76ee55b889b69ad3ef0.jpg1226003278_StatesVisitedTaliandSteve08-23-2021-H.jpg.dc46129cb4967a7fd2531b16699e9e45.jpg

• Moderators

Hey, Steve & Tali, We have a similar carport that we kept our 34' class A MoHo in. We had a couple of extra sheets of steel put on each side to reduce the amount of dust, leaves from our Oak trees, and sun fade. We still place a cover over the air conditioner to keep out dirt daubbers, and place covers over the tires. The carport is quite a bit larger than our Oliver, but the extra space comes in handy at times. The hard part is resisting the temptation to take the easy way out and park the lawn mower in there. :shock: He, he.

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth 08' Oliver Legacy Elite HULL NUMBER 0003(sold)

Hi,

Thanks for your responses. I think I may not have been clear in my question. What I am asking is whether anyone has purchased a cover made of fabric or some material such as Tyvek to drape over their Oliver to cover it. Unfortunately, we do not have the option to build a structure. I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has purchased such a soft cover and hearing how it has performed for you.

Thanks,

Steve

• Moderators

I suspect you're right, Tom.

However, prompted by the Florida June sun, and this thread, I ordered a cover today from Empire. Since we're probably home for almost a month straight (a first since we got our Oliver!), it seems worthwhile to get a trailer cover. Besides, I didn't know what to get Paul for Father's day. :P

I'll let you all know how the big van cover fits next week. It had a few good comments on other forums, and we're mostly looking for protection from the sun and bird droppings....

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

2008 Oliver Elite, Hull #12

Florida and Western North Carolina, or wherever the truck goes....

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

• Moderators

:P

Thanks for the proof reading, Stuart. I edited for clarity....

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

400 watts solar. DC compressor fridge. No inverter. 2 x 105 ah agm batteries .  Life is good.

Thanks, Tom and Sherry.

Sherry, please do let us know how the big van cover from Empire fits when you get it next week. Also, please let us know which of their van covers you chose (they seem to have several choices at different prices) and how well you think the material will protect your Oliver.

Thanks,

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sherry & Paul,

I'm also curious about the fit of the empire cover. I have a Casita sitting under a canopy of pine trees and I really need to get her covered to protect from pine sap dropping down. If you are happy with the fit, I'm ready to order one.

We are leaving tomorrow for Withlacoochee River Park in Dade City, FL. Anybody wanna come? :D

Geri

• Moderators

Hello,

The Empire large van cover arrived just before we left to go camping, so I haven't had time to check the fit yet... So sorry. I did open it, tyvek, like a fed ex envelope, so tough, but soft on the inside. When we get home, I'll try it out on the Oliver and post a pic so you also can see how it works. Price was right, and their customer service system is very good.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 1 month later...

Hi, Sherry and Paul,

Elizabeth and I are wondering about the Empire large van cover and how it fits, etc. Perhaps you are back from your camping trip and can let us know. We now have our Oliver here at home and need to get a cover to protect it from the sun and all of the sticky stuff that falls from the oak trees over our driveway.

Thanks,

Steve

Chuck and I are also interested in your new tyvek cover for your Oliver. If you have had a chance to use it, we'd love to hear your report. I'm tired of cleaning off pine needles and pine tar from the Casita! Sounds like this might be just what we need. I need to order soon whether I get your report or not.... yuckky pine tar!

We are going in Sept to the rally in Fort Smith Arkansas. Are you going ??? I hear Mountainborn and Butcherknife will be there along with Lane and the Poodle Girls!

Geri

• Moderators

Sorry, Geri,

Still camping. Cover is in the garage, still in the original bag.

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4

• 9 months later...

Me too Sherry, my cover is still in the original box, still in Florida while Chuck and I work camp in Truth or Consequences NM. Maybe if we stop camping long enough, we can take it out of the box and at least look on it! Or maybe put it over my casita as it sits idle as we now travel in the Oliver! Desmo, if you get one, let us know how good it works! :D

I have a Cal-Mark cover for my Oliver. I think it does a good job of protecting the trailer. I am an unfortunate soul who has to store the trailer in a RV lot in Sun City Arizona. Protection from sun and dust is primary. The cover does a great job. Last August we drove from Washington State to Arizona via the Cal-Mark factory in California. We parked the trailer at the factory and in about 4 hours they made a custom fitted cover for the Oliver. We had contacted them prior to our arrival to make arrangements for them to measure the Oliver but when we arrived they said if we waited around for a few hours we could take the finished product with us. They are not inexpensive but I feel it was money well spent.

• Moderators

Jerry43,

Now that's service... sewn while you wait. Cal-Mark has some nice reviews, too.

I noticed one distributor is running a sale on universal (not custom) Cal-mark covers. (Not as nice as the one you bought, I'm sure, but some at least have the opening for the door, so you can go in and out of the trailer while the cover is on. That's a nice feature. http://www.nationaldiscountcovers.com/C ... s-s/25.htm

Sherry

2008 Ram 1500 4 × 4